Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class C Motorhome Discussions
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2
Old 04-03-2015, 12:31 AM   #1
Furnace issue ?

Ok here is the deal, the furnace worked fine for 5 days. its a suburban old greyish box, in this same 78 dodge rv. it worked and is still blowing air. I have a flow gauge so I know its going through the cycles even letting gas start but its not sparking anymore. I pulled the electrodes and cleaned them. That gap looks excessive but it worked before. its a model that uses an electrode not a pilot. with no spark it shuts the gas off after a few seconds fans stay on until it tries to cycle again. I did re position the electrodes and it worked again a for hours but I shut it down over night and again no spark. The last time it worked it did not spark like the first time, instead it sparked very weakly a few times and it lit. the whole time I let it on it did cycle a few times.

Should I suspect a issue on the board? and if so how is this thing mounted.

I found a few screws in front, but should there be anything in the back (no access panel there).

skyisme is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-03-2015, 03:23 AM   #2
Make sure your batteries are charged it happened to me once the fan was blowing but because my batteries were low it would not ignite it.

on2thenext is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2015, 04:26 AM   #3
On ac and charged. Still no go.
Old 04-04-2015, 06:48 AM   #4
It's been my experience that intermittent electrical issues are often the result of corrosion in the electrical connections.

Check and clean all connections and see if that makes any difference before you start throwing parts at it.
Ted 'n' Laurie, plus Jackson (aka Deputy Dog, the Parson Russell Terrier 'fur kid') and, Rylie (who crossed the Rainbow Bridge June 14, 2012).
Murf2u is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2015, 12:38 PM   #5
well yes

When I figure out how to get the furnance out I will check the connections. and do a bench test. I just have not figured out how to remove it. there is no access from outside and the inside does not have the space.
Old 04-04-2015, 01:03 PM   #6

Gulf Streamers Club
I suggest you download a manual for your furnace model. Also there are many YouTube videos on Suburban furnaces, I'm sure you'll find information to help.

The ignitor is ruled by the sail switch. If the fan isn't blowing enough air, (low voltage, blocked air vents) it won't send the signal to ignite. Also, after failing to light, the control board goes into 'lock down' and won't ignite until the thermostat is shut off then on again.

Some of your issues might be the result of the above conditions.

Bob & Donna
'98 Gulf Stream Sun Voyager DP being pushed by a '00 Beetle TDI
BFlinn181 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2015, 03:50 PM   #7
makes sense

Yes I read that too I am going to check for blocked air once I get it out. However I assumed (probably falsely) that the gas was not turned on unless the sail switch was good. Made me think the sail was good.

So would the gas come on with put enough air?
Old 04-04-2015, 04:20 PM   #8
Community Moderator

Nor'easters Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
iRV2 No Limits Club
Be very careful cleaning the ceramic tip for sensing the flame links for furnace here.
Maybe a new spark igniter would help other wise.
98KSCA, 99MACA, 03 KSCA-3740- 8.1 Chev-- ALLISON Trans, now in good hands
"007" is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2015, 06:39 PM   #9
Which one is the flame sensing?

ace, furnace