Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class C Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 09-01-2015, 05:38 AM   #1

Gas in Diesel fuel

The other day, I accidentally filled our 2008 Fleetwood Pluse Sprinter with gas. Absolutely no idea how i mixed the nozzles up. It ran for about 18 miles, then the engine went into limp home mode. Just enough to get us off I95 in Georgia. No Check Engine light and would not start. An expensive tow to MB dealer and $664 later it is running with apparently no mechanical problem other than burned out cat heat sensor.
Dan_Johnston is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-01-2015, 05:42 AM   #2

With such a mistake. I wonder if you could have added Oil to it??
homeless is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2015, 11:40 AM   #3

I suspect it could be done but considering the huge variations in oil applications, I would hate to try and fail. $664 is a lot but new engine good god that would really put me in the dog house.
Old 09-01-2015, 11:56 AM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan_Johnston View Post
I suspect it could be done but considering the huge variations in oil applications, I would hate to try and fail. $664 is a lot but new engine good god that would really put me in the dog house.
You certainly aren't the first to make this boo boo and not the last. You did the right thing getting it towed. The bill could have been a LOT higher.
Old 09-01-2015, 12:00 PM   #5

Keep your fingers crossed it didn't go into the injectors and the engine but I would prepare for the worst. I had a farm worker 20 years ago who put gas instead of diesel on the 4wd tractor. The 1st repair bill was $2,000, the 2nd bill for a complete 'in frame overhaul' 6 months later $12,000.

Note to everyone, if this happens:
Do not turn the key (it will start the fuel pump), do not try to limb to the next service shop, have all fuel pumped out immediately and all filters changed!!!
Old 09-01-2015, 03:55 PM   #6

Expensive lesson, always make sure you are only pumping diesel fuel.
38Chevy454 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2015, 05:49 PM   #7

I drove 18 miles with 3/4 of a tank of gas. After 16 miles it started to go into limp home mode.

UPDATE: It was at a BP station. BP uses GREEN background for unleaded fuel, all other American gas stations use GREEN for diesel. Was talking to friend and first thing he asked was "was it a BP station". He did the same thing. Dead tired and Green is Diesel. Time to avoid BP at all cost.
Old 09-02-2015, 06:43 PM   #8

Winnebago Owners Club
We stopped at a rest stop and the fellow beside us was trying to start a small diesel. I said , did you just get gas, maybe you have water in it. He said yes, next door. I said Don't try to start it, that station doesn't sell diesel. He was taking the rig to an RV show and had to call his boss and tell him what he had done. I overheard him because he had to borrow my phone. Some days it doesn't pay to get out of bed.
Old 09-02-2015, 11:28 PM   #9

At least you didn't put DEF into the diesel tank. We had a guy do that on one of our Mercedes diesel work vans and it cost $13K to repair the damage.
OB-One is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
diesel, fuel, gas