Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class C Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 07-09-2010, 01:59 PM   #43

If you got close to 11 mpg overall. You won the lottery. Curious why don't you use the tow/haul feature? I find it a big plus.
Izzyblueye is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-09-2010, 02:21 PM   #44

Beenthere,

I know the engine will handle the RPMs but it sounds like it's coming apart when it shifts down to help control descent. I prefer to shift down and stab the brakes at 3500 RPM when going down a severe hill. The road (I believe it's US 212) from the end of the Chief Joseph highway near Cody, WY to Red Lodge can be very scary if you've never done that kind of driving. It was considerably more demanding than either 1 or 101 along the Pacific coast from CA to WA.

I find the V10 to have enough torque to get the job done when in 8% mountain passes where the posted warnings indicate 15 to 35 MPH safe speeds for the switchbacks and curves.

Keep in mind I was not towing our Edge on this trip (the Phoenix 2350 is easy enough to break down and handled all the roads well enough on our frequent sightseeing drives).
rmmpe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2010, 04:05 AM   #45

I don't disagree with your method at all. However, in Tow/Haul when I tap the break pedal it automatically downshifts. It will continue to do this until I stop tapping the pedal. These V-10's are engineered for high RPM's and it will not hurt them. I know the pass and road you speak of and have driven it several times. It is a bear, but beautiful. The last trip I made on it, there were a couple of cars down in the rivines, totally demolished.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rmmpe View Post
Beenthere,

I know the engine will handle the RPMs but it sounds like it's coming apart when it shifts down to help control descent. I prefer to shift down and stab the brakes at 3500 RPM when going down a severe hill. The road (I believe it's US 212) from the end of the Chief Joseph highway near Cody, WY to Red Lodge can be very scary if you've never done that kind of driving. It was considerably more demanding than either 1 or 101 along the Pacific coast from CA to WA.

I find the V10 to have enough torque to get the job done when in 8% mountain passes where the posted warnings indicate 15 to 35 MPH safe speeds for the switchbacks and curves.

Keep in mind I was not towing our Edge on this trip (the Phoenix 2350 is easy enough to break down and handled all the roads well enough on our frequent sightseeing drives).
Izzyblueye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2010, 05:57 AM   #46

Holy Moly, Batman.
Have you been there recently?

At the intersection of the Chief Joseph and 212 to Red Lodge there is a sign stating the road is not recommended for anything over 40 feet. Then, about 3 miles up the mountain and well into the twisties, you come to a single lane hard left-hander edged by a wall of mountain where new pilings are being driven to widen the road (the old road fell off into a very deep ravine). The guy had to move the piling machine to let my itty-bitty 24-foot, 93-inch wide Phoenix squeak through. The passage he made was 8-feet wide; just enough for the Phoenix but certainly no room for the 102 inch wide, 36 foot Alpine I'd just traded-in. I can't even imagine backing that down through the twisties (there is absolutely no place to turn around).

The East Summit is absolutely beautiful and you think you've reached the top. But you haven't. After another 6 miles of going up you get into the downhill twisties. What a hoot. 20-foot wide 2-lane road, no pull-outs, 1,000 foot deep ravines, no guard rails, super tight switchbacks, no sight of the oncoming or rock falls until it's on your fender, 300 foot long straights and extreme grades.

Next time I'll do it the other way.

The narrative is not for anyone familiar with it but for those who aren't and want a real challenge.

Last advice for the timid: bring some extra shorts.
rmmpe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2010, 12:06 PM   #47

Hi RV peoples, I can tell you that our 2010 Winnebago Aspect 28 got 7.2 mpg on its maiden voyage to B.C. from Ontario. It now gets closer to 9 mpg on a good flat road. We feel very lucky to get this. The E-450 V-10 may be a thing of the past, the 5.4 V-8 now has sufficiant torque and 300 HP so I have heard?
klondike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2010, 05:44 PM   #48

gas mileage

We have a 2003 Gulf Stream and if I keep my foot out of it on the flat lands of Il on the way to the son's house we can get around 10mpg, as long as there isn't a head wind. But I don't think that is to bad, with taking my house with me, an a cg is a lot cheaper than a motel, plus I know who has slept in the bed last and who cleans the C.
Bill
woodworker414 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2010, 06:39 PM   #49

Freightliner Owners Club
We went over the Bear Tooth and also Teton pass and mine way of looking at it ,you got to be crazy any thing longer than a Volkswagon!Been there done that thru with it!

We did this last two weeks and where near where Bear attack's where Wed.
DBOL is offline   Reply With Quote