Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class C Motorhome Discussions
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 08-21-2016, 07:05 PM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beau388 View Post
It could be the 450 ftlbs of torque at 3,200 rpm is equal to 800 ftlbs of torque at 1,800 is gearing is considered. Ford striped chassis is about $26,000 and the cheapest 33 ft diesel I can find is $87,000

450 ft lbs is never equal to 660 ft lbs.. or 800 ft lbs.. besides

If you run a large gas engine at 3200 rpm all day it won't last long.. you will cook everything..

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-21-2016, 07:15 PM   #16

just to close this discussion I have a 6.6 turbo duramax in my 34 ss and just love it.. AT 65 mph its at 1800 rpm and you can't here it at all. when you start up a hill the turbo spools up and the unit rarely shifts out of overdrive..

Old 08-21-2016, 07:22 PM   #17

The Ford V-10 has a reputation of running at speed all day every day in various services. Reported service life is a couple of hundred thousand miles. That is a lot of motor home years given the typical owner does between 5 and 10,000 per year.

Maintenance is simple. No plug wires as it's coil on plug with 100,000 miles between plug changes. Filters and engine oil any backyard mechanic can do. The engine is sufficient for most folks at considerably less cost and weight than a comparable diesel. In addition there would be another issue over the generator unless you want separate fuel tanks. In short diesels are not worth it to most of us. If you want a C to haul your race car or horse trailer then a super C might be a better choice. For most of us an E-350 or E-450 chassis with the V-10 is sufficient to haul a towed and do what we want.
Old 08-23-2016, 08:22 PM   #18

Winnebago Owners Club
Some of us got tired of maintaining a diesel pusher.
Old 08-23-2016, 09:30 PM   #19

I am just in the shopping phase right now and part of the planning is blending RV with car purchase as VW pays me for the Passat TDI. Obviously, I like diesel, and one of the arguments is extra cost which never takes into account retained value when selling. Virtually ruled out the Jeep or Ram with trailer option and leaning towards Class C with Ford Fusion Hybrid as daily driver and toad (4 wheel toad!). On Class C focusing on the 26 foot range which would meet needs, and the diesel/gas issue, focusing on the Sprinter or Ford 350/450 chassis models. There is about a $30,000 difference between the two. While there is the obvious fuel cost difference which favors the diesel. But the question I posed to the salesperson today (I know, they lie) if I traded in 4 years from now, which has the highest level of depreciation. He indicated gas gets hit hardest because 1) so many of them, and 2) demand for diesel supports the price. I don't know if that is correct, but if so would significantly reduce the $30,000 difference with recouping not being totally dependent on fuel savings.
Old 08-24-2016, 08:32 AM   #20

You can get caught in some interesting false economies in the short C diesel vs gas choice. One of them is that you will do enough miles to make it an issue. You can cross the country a couple of times in 10,000 miles. With a towed most folks seem to do as many or more miles on the car as the MH doing the local attractions and short drive days every few days. Destination driving with longer stays may put more miles on the car. Give some thought to how you want to travel.

Also an issue is whether the diesel will be rated to tow what you want. Some are, some are not. Check what you are looking at.
Old 08-25-2016, 09:08 AM   #21

In the Class C market, the answer to OP's question is that the Ford and Chevy full size van chassis do not seem to come with a diesel option. Although I think I recall one being shown on the website of one of those two manufacturers.

I would love to see a Duramax Class C chassis. Not a Super C, just a C. A Duramax would be heavier, and need more cooling. As mentioned above, with most Class C's traveling less than 10K miles per year, it's probably not important to have a diesel.

I'm not forgetting the lighter diesels in the Class C's from Mercedes and now Ford Transit.
Old 08-25-2016, 10:40 AM   #22

Winnebago Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by nothermark View Post
The Ford V-10 has a reputation of running at speed all day every day in various services. Reported service life is a couple of hundred thousand miles. That is a lot of motor home years given the typical owner does between 5 and 10,000 per year.

Maintenance is simple. No plug wires as it's coil on plug with 100,000 miles between plug changes. Filters and engine oil any backyard mechanic can do. The engine is sufficient for most folks at considerably less cost and weight than a comparable diesel. In addition there would be another issue over the generator unless you want separate fuel tanks. In short diesels are not worth it to most of us. If you want a C to haul your race car or horse trailer then a super C might be a better choice. For most of us an E-350 or E-450 chassis with the V-10 is sufficient to haul a towed and do what we want.
^^^^THIS^^^^
Most people buying a E350 or E450 chassis "C'" are probably families who do not full-time and at most put a few thousand miles a year on it. It is not uncommon to find a 10 year old "C" with less than 20,000 miles on the clock.
How would the extra expense of a diesel be worth it?
It would be nice if manufacturers offered a diesel option for those who would like one in their E450, but I don't know of any.
I think the motorhome industry figured this out a long time ago.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
baraff is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2016, 02:18 PM   #23

I just purchased a 23ft MH and I don't plan on pulling a trailer or vehicle with it but on rare occasions. I have the GAS,Ford V10 with the 5 Star tune for a stock vehicle. I am more than happy with it. I wanted gas for the ease of maintenance ( I can work on gas vehicles) and price. If I was going to pull trailers and have a longer unit, then I probably would have went diesel. But hey, different strokes for different folks.
Old 10-17-2016, 08:19 PM   #24

A buddy of mine has a 36 ft Tropical on Ford with V10, he pulls a 26 ft enclosed trailer with drag car , golf cart etc in it , he has no problems .
Old 11-14-2016, 11:20 AM   #25

We chose the F550 chassis because we wanted the towing power, 10K, with the cabover set-up. The bunk above the cab is HUGE. My four year old can stand up in it. We also like the look of the pick-up front end over the van. We will be doing out west trips with an F-150 in tow. I told my husband they 2 will average out to an F-350

He drove it in bumper to bumper Saints Gameday traffic and still saw an average of 11.5 MPG and it was only her second trip anywhere. We are going to Florida this weekend. Anxious to see the results.

We picked the diesel for the reasons above.
Old 11-14-2016, 12:03 PM   #26

Quote:
Originally Posted by edenns View Post
I'm surprized by the number of gas mhs on the market. The application is perfect for a diesel engine. Heavy loads , long haul trips .

Why would the mh manufactures settle for 350 hp and 450 ft lbs of torque at a high rpm, when a 330 hp diesel will provide 660 ft lbs of torque at 1800 rpm..

Cost may be a consideration. But I think in the big picture the diesel will save you money in the long run.. Just a thought..
because you end up being under powered and a coach that's noiser and over priced...

the little V-10 pulls the same trailer up a 6% grade 20 mph faster... and is not so scarey coming down the hill.... all the added power is needed from the diesel to pull all the extra weight it requires.... that 6.7 is a truck motor

a diesel will not keep up with a gasser....and has to slow way way down to get to the 1800 rpm...most gassers go down the road at 1700 rpms no problem...

and while were at it... the v-10 ford is the quietest front engine class a on the market...it's the best 30' motorhome chassis ...PERIOD!!! wins in every test
Old 11-14-2016, 12:10 PM   #27

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff in Ok View Post
I just purchased a 23ft MH and I don't plan on pulling a trailer or vehicle with it but on rare occasions. I have the GAS,Ford V10 with the 5 Star tune for a stock vehicle. I am more than happy with it. I wanted gas for the ease of maintenance ( I can work on gas vehicles) and price. If I was going to pull trailers and have a longer unit, then I probably would have went diesel. But hey, different strokes for different folks.
there is absolutely nothing on the market that will run with that ford in that size...I've towed over 10k up and down hills and all through division 7

diesels a good idea after 32'.... put, they put the little truck motor in them and you're right back to square one...no power and crap ride..
Old 11-15-2016, 12:03 AM   #28

Diesel or Gas in a class C is a personal choice.
Shorter trips weekending I would choose the gas.
Longer trips months or many miles, diesel.
Cost is a consideration but shouldn't be the determining factor.

My preference is Diesel but then our typical trip is about 9K from AK to Southwest states.
Even a short trip for us is 3200 miles. Last year East Coast home.

Maintenance on either chassis gas or diesel; going beyond oil and fuel filters is not really a DIY anymore. You will need a diagnostic tool to identify the problems with engine, transmission, emissions systems even the brakes.

The quality of the build on the chassis is generally very good no matter which you choose.
The quality of the house is another matter entirely, typically the gas rigs aren't built as nice however I have seen diesel C's using the same house, apples to apples.

If you want a quality build you need to really check it out yourself.
Of the factory build, Leisure Travel and Winnebago are very good.

Only your opinion matters, make your choice and be happy with it, .

Tags
diesel, gas