Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class C Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 11-16-2016, 07:25 AM   #29

Actually there is little choice between diesel and gas because there is little overlap. One either goes really big or small to get diesel. If one chooses diesel they get higher costs all around and low towing capacity on the small end. Even at 10,000 miles a year the gas engine is good for a couple of hundred thousand so how many years can you go? That is why Ford gas owns the niche and why most of us would not switch if we had the opportunity.

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-24-2016, 09:13 PM   #30

I recall that some builders offered the option of a Ford E-450 with either gas V-10 or diesel. You rarely ran across the diesels because they did not sell well. I can only guess that for most people the additional cost of purchase and maintainance was not worth it. This was probably also due to the fact that the V-10 is a pretty darn good motor and very good for most class C RV's.

Old 11-30-2016, 05:04 PM   #31

When i was shopping around for a used class C with either a gm frame or a diesel engine i quickly realized it wasn't going to happen... gm just don't exist in longer frames (30" ish) with a slide and diesels are so extremelly rare in that configuration (plus the 6.0 ford had serious issues)...
So i ended up narowing it down to a v10, its dead reliable exept the sparp plug issues in the early ones and the 2 or 3 comparable ford diesels i saw used were 5 to 10000$ more all else being equal...
That buys a lot of gas, even up here at Canadian prices! So its usually not worth it if you do the math for a larger class C even taking into account 4-5 mpg advantage.
Un the end i got a v10 and i'm perfectly happy with it!
Old 12-01-2016, 07:40 AM   #32

The cost and the weight of the diesel are what it always comes down to. The V-10 gas is adequate so why pay a bunch more for an engine that is harder and more expensive to maintain?
Old 12-01-2016, 08:19 AM   #33

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
There are two reasons for considering Gas over Diesel

First is COST: Where as my Gasser has a sticker price (Slightly rounded) of 100 thousand, the equivlant DP is about 200,000 (Twice the price) also repair and maintance is twice the price just so you know.

Others (Myself) are more experienced with Gas Engines and thus more comfortable with them where as still others (My Brother for example) are every bit as good with Diesels (Certified Mechanic and OTR semi driver he is)... (I'm Certified in electronics but competent on gas engines, could easily pass certification test, just no reason to take it.)

So I drive a Gasser.. he does not drive much any more since he lost his medical certification.
Old 12-02-2016, 02:26 AM   #34

Quote:
Originally Posted by heavy metal View Post
When i was shopping around for a used class C with either a gm frame or a diesel engine i quickly realized it wasn't going to happen... gm just don't exist in longer frames (30" ish) with a slide and diesels are so extremelly rare in that configuration (plus the 6.0 ford had serious issues)...
So i ended up narowing it down to a v10, its dead reliable exept the sparp plug issues in the early ones and the 2 or 3 comparable ford diesels i saw used were 5 to 10000$ more all else being equal...
That buys a lot of gas, even up here at Canadian prices! So its usually not worth it if you do the math for a larger class C even taking into account 4-5 mpg advantage.
Un the end i got a v10 and i'm perfectly happy with it!
Bun fight! Ok, I'll bite (again). I'm Canuck (BC) too and shopped around hard and found a FRED (front engine diesel) through a private sale in Tucson that was about the same price as a comparable gasser. So, granted, it is nice to have the initial owner take the hit and even out the valuation. Also true, that the 6.0 has/had some issues, but the aftermarket and ford-truck forums took care of them years ago (Ford couldn't with the technology of the time - pre DEF - without running into California Air Resources Board regulations). Mine has run like a top and its a keeper. I can do 'normal maintenance' quicker than I can on my Jeep Liberty toad. All the filters are easily grabbed from below the E-450, and I can pour in 15 litres of oil quicker than changing spark plugs.
Best thing is, this motor doesn't care much if its towing or climbing or whatever. I've heard the V-10 (a fine motor I'm sure) will suck the gas tank sides together when really worked. Different folks different strokes, its all good.
Siesta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2016, 09:17 AM   #35

Nah, our gasser just does around 7 mpg up hill, down hill, flat land, head wind, tail wind, towed on or off, it does not matter. ;-)
Old 12-03-2016, 10:37 AM   #36

Newmar Owners Club
My main concern between a gasser and a DP is the braking system. I can get a new gasser or a used DP. I cannot afford a new DP. I have never ridden in a DP, but I assume it will ride a lot smoother.
reubenray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2016, 10:46 AM   #37

I drive a gasser, but will point out an advantage with diesel that hasn't been mentioned. Especially if you tow, using gas islands sometimes means backing up. In the truck lanes you never have to.
sbleiweiss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2016, 04:36 PM   #38

Quote:
Originally Posted by sbleiweiss View Post
I drive a gasser, but will point out an advantage with diesel that hasn't been mentioned. Especially if you tow, using gas islands sometimes means backing up. In the truck lanes you never have to.
Yah, but...the first time I tried the truck side of a Flying J...I had a nice reminder that those big rigs don't use the same piddly diesel nozzle that the non-commercials use, they need big volume. Damn nozzle was too big for my RV's inlet.
Old 12-03-2016, 04:40 PM   #39

Quote:
Originally Posted by nothermark View Post
Nah, our gasser just does around 7 mpg up hill, down hill, flat land, head wind, tail wind, towed on or off, it does not matter. ;-)
Oh come on, you have to give a little on this one. I doubt many V-10 owners would even agree with that. Could be true if you drove an equal amount of all those conditions most all the time, then you'd never really tell. All the gas vehicles I've ever had were very much affected by the duty cycle, easy going versus a tough slog. Diesels are known to be far more forgiving in that regard.
Old 12-03-2016, 04:48 PM   #40

IF you ever had the opportunity to drive ride and live in a 40Ft ++4 slide newmar or allegro bus or beaver or Monaco or etc etc you would fully understand and appreciate why a diesel pusher in general is a 100 times better than any comparable gasser
there simply is no comparison now that being said from a responsible
money point of view do we really need such? not really ;; but if u can easly afford it why not do it then,!!!
Old 12-03-2016, 06:02 PM   #41

Budget is key here, i for one, is a young retiree from 26 years in the Canadian armed forces: i have a smallish nice country house and cannot afford a dp... i chose to live on my pension since me and my half hald a baby in our early 40's...
I looked for 3 years before we bought and no diesels came up for sale at anything close to my 30k used price point for a 30" mid-2000 class C.
Only one i saw was 49k, i ended up buying a gasser at 28k... the math is pretty easy to work out!!!
Old 12-11-2016, 01:12 PM   #42

The issue I have with the E450 V10 is the lack of foot room in the cab. I at 6"2 have a hard time with the peddles and my 5"4 wife did not like the foot room in the passenger side.
I bought a View G. No as far as size, my view is a good size for us. I put on HWH Levelers and a Travler satellite dish. It's easy to set up or move. No need for a towed. Front cab is great. 15 to 16 MPG. Has good power. I pass gas MH going up the Cascade passes. It will go 60 up Snoqualmie and 55 up Stevens pass. The gas rigs go 30 to 40. The engine and brakes are great going down. The suspension with Sumo Springs is very good. Much better than Class A or C Ford.The down side is cost. They are much more than the same size in a C.
KH 2015 View G.

Tags
diesel, gas