Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class C Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 02-19-2014, 09:57 PM   #1

Outdoors RV Owners Club
GCVWR, GVWR, and CCC

Hello all-

I have a 2001 Fleetwood Jamboree 31W on my short list of Class Cs to purchase. It is a great floor plan and has one large slide. Perfect for our
family of 4.

I have attached the CCC spec sheet for this rig. If I am reading it correctly, the available CCC is 295#! This means I can not tow a 3500# boat with a tongue weight of 350#! The TW would put me over the limit by 55#!!! How can this be so, if it is equipped to tow 3500#? If this is the case, once we add clothes, bikes, food, etc...there is no available amount for any size/weight trailer!!!!

I must be missing something. Please explain!
Thanks
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	'01 Jamboree 31W-SPECS.jpg
Views:	100
Size:	299.4 KB
ID:	56496  

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-19-2014, 10:26 PM   #2
sca

The UVW looks a little high to me, what kind of finishes and options does it have?

As a comparison my 2011 Sunseeker 3170DS (dual slides/bunk model ) is listed at 11,9XX lbs UVW.

Sometime around 2008 the GVWR increased to 14,500 lbs with the 5000lbs front axle upgrade/change.

Old 02-20-2014, 12:32 AM   #3

Outdoors RV Owners Club
I thought the same thing. Options.....It has a very large slide that also is very deep...slides out at least 24" (perhaps heavier than newer slides due to depth of slide), generator, awning, dinnette and that's about it.

With 295# of CCC, I could not tow anything. The 295# would be for food, clothes, bicycles, etc.

I hate to pass on this rig as it has the floor plan we like, large slide, condition is excellent for a 2001, and price is right! But I need the option to be able to tow my 21' Pontoon boat that weighs about 3500# TW 350#. If I tow my boat and I can't take food or clothes!! Yikes!

May be moot point, as bank doesn't want to finance older than 2006. That puts me back to the 2008 Winnie 29T I posted about.

Why are decisions sooo difficult!
Old 02-20-2014, 12:46 AM   #4

I would be thankful you discovered this CCC situation before you owned it. Some manufacturers should be ashamed for what the produce. A number of years ago I saw a DP at a big RV show. When I looked closely, I read in small print a CCC of 800 lbs. It had already SOLD at the show. That MH sure was shiny though and impressive at first glance.
gruelens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2014, 10:19 AM   #5
mre

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoCalAngler View Post
Hello all-

I have a 2001 Fleetwood Jamboree 31W on my short list of Class Cs to purchase. It is a great floor plan and has one large slide. Perfect for our
family of 4.

I have attached the CCC spec sheet for this rig. If I am reading it correctly, the available CCC is 295#! This means I can not tow a 3500# boat with a tongue weight of 350#! The TW would put me over the limit by 55#!!! How can this be so, if it is equipped to tow 3500#? If this is the case, once we add clothes, bikes, food, etc...there is no available amount for any size/weight trailer!!!!

I must be missing something. Please explain!
Thanks
295# is my read. You might be able to stretch CCC to 995# if you eliminate water and two people. But even that is a little anemic. I don't know how you are going to use you RV, if it is just for weekends and short trips, you might be able to get away with it. Extended trips where you bring a lot more stuff, probably not.

ed
Old 02-20-2014, 11:59 AM   #6

Outdoors RV Owners Club
I travel with 4 (DW and 2 DS). Most trips are up and down California which is are about 300-500 miles one way and last 4-5 days. These are during Nov., Dec., Feb. and April. One trip in July for 14 days. I carry typical gear (food, clothes, BBQ, tools, 4 bicycles, fishing gear, pots/pans, linens, etc...
Old 02-20-2014, 03:53 PM   #7
mre

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoCalAngler View Post
I travel with 4 (DW and 2 DS). Most trips are up and down California which is are about 300-500 miles one way and last 4-5 days. These are during Nov., Dec., Feb. and April. One trip in July for 14 days. I carry typical gear (food, clothes, BBQ, tools, 4 bicycles, fishing gear, pots/pans, linens, etc...
If the vehicle is in nice shape and the prices is right, and that is all you use it for, it may work for you (without water of course). We do extended travel for 3-6 months at a time and travel into Canada and Alaska and carry a lot of additional stuff that we wouldn't carry on shorter trips. Regardless of the travel you do, you will always have to have at least one eye on the weight.

According to the weight sheet you show, even if your vehicle is at its GVWR limit of 14050, your GCWR is 17500. This means that you can still tow a trailer that weighs 4,500 lbs (if I am seeing the numbers correctly). This means that you could tow a 3,500 lbs boat safely. Plus you could add a 1,000 lbs of stuff to the boat and still be within your weight ratings (this sthat the boat, trailer and running gear can carry the additional weight.

Google GCWR and GVWR and you find explanations. Also, this issue has been discussed many times by people who can explain it better than I. Try doing a search.

ed
Old 02-20-2014, 04:10 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by gruelens View Post
I would be thankful you discovered this CCC situation before you owned it. Some manufacturers should be ashamed for what the produce. A number of years ago I saw a DP at a big RV show. When I looked closely, I read in small print a CCC of 800 lbs. It had already SOLD at the show. That MH sure was shiny though and impressive at first glance.
X2, when shopping for a Class A , was shown a beautiful coach ; every option; CCC. 518 LBS. Sales person was holding it for my arrival, when I declined, they said , OK someone else waiting to take it .
A lot of overweight RV's out there, it is up to you not to buy one!