Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class C Motorhome Discussions
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2
Old 03-17-2015, 03:47 PM   #1
Gelcoat cracks

We purchased a new 2014 forest river forester 3011ds class c motorhome and took possession in June of 2014. We have less than 3000 miles on it. This February I noticed cracks on the drivers side coach area in the paint. This side was exposed to the sun during winter storage. We took it to the dealer who contacted the factory about this issue. The factory spokesperson told the dealer they wanted the motorhome returned to the factory to make repairs. The repairs involve removing the entire side of the coach including the slide out and replacing the entire panel.
I'm a little concerned about breaking all of the seals/seams and removing the entire side of the motorhome. Apparently there is a problem with the gelcoat.
Has anyone experienced a similar issue?
Thank you for any information provided.

Gilly224 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-17-2015, 04:51 PM   #2
Gel coat usually cracks for one of two reasons. Either there is a structural issue and it is flexing farther than the gel will allow or the gel coat was applied too thick and stress cracks have formed on the surface. Both of these problems are better solved with the parts removed from the coach. Re-surfacing the gel will be very dusty and smelly and with the parts off they can see if further support is needed. And dust and smell will be kept to a minimum.

A very good service center could probably do just as well but not all service centers are created equal.

keymastr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2015, 06:44 PM   #3
This has been a recurring problem in the industry for the last decade or so. Many of the high end class a's have it also. They are offering the correct solution which is to replace the panel, I would get it taken care of now while you have a warrantee. It will get worse and greatly devalue your rig if it is not taken care of. Closely check the other panels for any signs of cracking even if minor, I would get it done asap.
2010 Phoenix Cruiser 3100, 2016 Hyundai Veloster, Demco SS dolly
Dynadave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2015, 03:49 PM   #4

Thanks for the information. I know it's the best way to fix the problem but I really worry about the factory opening up all the seams to remove the entire panel. Thanks again.
Old 03-23-2015, 09:08 AM   #5
Originally Posted by Gilly224 View Post
Thanks for the information. I know it's the best way to fix the problem but I really worry about the factory opening up all the seams to remove the entire panel. Thanks again.
Better the factory than the dealer...

I think...
MeSteve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2015, 05:19 PM   #6
Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
I share your concerns but unfortunately, there is likely no other way to fix it. I had both my right and left side panels replaced on my coach due to cracking around the windows due to a defective batch of panels. The panel is likely the entire side wall as it was in my case. It is an invasive process to say the least as everything is usually attached to the sidewalls and wiring also feeds thru the walls. Unfortunately, there is no other way to repair that will last. Unlike a boat with a surface of gel coat and structural fiberglass below, the RV sides do not use a gel coat surface but are a composite panel so the crack - sooner or later - will penetrate the panel or re-appear if it I just filled. The repair is costly and takes weeks not days if extensive painting is involved so it is worth the pain to take it back to the factory. Good luck
09 Journey 39Z
Southern Ontario
bobmac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2015, 09:51 AM   #7
Thanks to all that replied. What a great community.