Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class C Motorhome Discussions
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2
Old 03-24-2012, 06:36 PM   #1

I used the genny at a rest area and hours later at Bristol Motor Speedway it would not run. I had full fuel,oil,new plug,filter...My camper is a 1997 Coachman Santara,onan 4000 genny with 120 hrs. With this model i have to hold the remote button in camper until a red light luminates, genny turns over and over, no red light luminates then let off button genny does not stay running. Any information will be greatly appreciated...
TY Abecar9

abecar9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-24-2012, 07:26 PM   #2
Fleetwood Owners Club
Solo Rvers Club
Send a message via Yahoo to Rick Long
Try a separate fuel source... A gallon gas container and hose to the fuel pump inlet. Follow the gas line back to find the pump... it's not hard.

One other option... check your stator rings... If they're to dirty it will not start. A plastic rod with sand paper attached and lay on the ring as you turn it over. A little will do it.

1999 Fleetwood Bounder 32H
Many Places Full Time
No Dog * No Cat * No Co-Pilot
Rick Long is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2012, 08:58 PM   #3
I had a friend do the sepoate can deal nothing happened. Where will i find the starter rings? Thanks for the tips too.
Old 03-24-2012, 09:46 PM   #4
The stator ring is under the brushes. Brushes build up carbon residue and for lack of better term "short out". Recommend steel wool in lieu of sandpaper tho the idea is to clean the rings of residue while cranking the engine over. I use a long screwdriver tho rod/dowel will also work. Brushes must also be checked for wear and/or cleaned.
RVhauler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2012, 11:28 PM   #5
Monaco Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
With only 120 hours of operation in 14 years I don't think I'd suspect carbon residue.

I think I'd be more concerned with the fuel having turned to something other than fuel and clogging up the carburetor.

Let us know what you find out with this problem please.
2004 Monaco La Palma 36DBD, W22, 8.1, 7.1 MPG
2000 LEXUS RX300 FWD 22MPG 4020 LBS
Arch Hoagland is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2012, 11:47 PM   #6
Have you tried to start it at the generator instead of using the remote switch?
[B]BichonLover is a 100% California gal, driving a vintage Fleetwood in SoCal.
BichonLover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2012, 08:27 AM   #7
yes i have tried from the Gen switch to,with no avail.
Old 03-25-2012, 05:49 PM   #8
Fixed an issue with mine recently(mine would run for 5 to 10 min then die). I just bought my MH in Dec, it only has 5,000 miles and 38 hours on the Gen and its a 1995. My first thought was the carb but I pulled the plug and checked it first. It looked good and the gap was right. I planned on pulling the carb and cleaning it all up but it looked like it was gonna be much more of a PITA than I thought so I tried a little different route first and it worked. I pulled the main adjustment screw out of the bottom of the bowl(counting how many turns it took). It had some gum on it so I cleaned it with carb cleaner and sprayed some carb cleaner in the hole then put the screw back in. Then I pulled the fuel line off the carb and sprayed a decent amount of carb cleaner in the fuel line. shut off the breaker for the gen(so it wouldn't start) and cranked the gen for a few seconds(just enough to suck the carb cleaner into the bowl. I let it sit for about 5 min then started it up and ran it for an hour and a half with no issues. I'm gonna repeat this in a few days just to be sure its nice and clean before we go on our maiden voyage in April. This should work on any gen that's not gummed up too bad. Yours cant be too bad since you ran it not too long ago.
You do have more than a half tank of fuel, right?

Bob Kulhanek 1995, 29 ft, Coachman Leprechaun, Ford E-350, EFI 460, 4.0 Onan Gen

If it won't budge, hit it harder or get a bigger hammer.
RLKBOB is offline   Reply With Quote