Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class C Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 04-01-2014, 09:41 PM   #1

Winnebago Owners Club
Generator Exercise question

Our Generator is a Oman Gas 4KW. The manual says to "exercise" the generator for 2 hours each month and specifies a 2 hour stretch is better than several 30 minute runs. Manual explains it clears out gas, etc.

What are your thoughts on doing this and also doing so when going down the road? We have a ride home this coming Friday from camping and so I thought I would hook up the shore line to the plug provided (no auto transfer switch in this model) and give it a run for a couple of hours during the trip home.

Thoughts appreciated? Part of me think running a generator going down the road is not completely wise but the dealer said it was done all the time - and you can always believe the dealer!

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-01-2014, 09:44 PM   #2
KIX

Yes.............running while traveling is just fine........no problem. When exercising the gen be sure to put at least a 50% of capacity load on it.

KIX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2014, 09:45 PM   #3

Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Our Genny Runs on the road all the time. Never had any issues.
BlueOx Aladdin Toads: Tahoe or 2500HD, BrakeBuddy Classic
mc4fun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2014, 09:47 PM   #4

Winnebago Owners Club
Thanks for quick reply. Well, the fridge is not much load. What else? Is it ok to run the A/C going down the road? That would give it a good load.
Old 04-01-2014, 09:50 PM   #5

Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Usually we run whatever is needed. 2 TV's Sat System, AC unit, Fridge, Stereo for Surround sound...
BlueOx Aladdin Toads: Tahoe or 2500HD, BrakeBuddy Classic
mc4fun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2014, 11:37 PM   #6

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
I exercise the genny monthly with air conditioning load for an hour or so.

Running the genny while going down the road is ok to do. We run the air conditioning on the way to next destination on those really hot days, this way there is not a long wait to cool down after arrival.
Previously a 2002 Fleetwood Pace Arrow 37A and a 1995 Safari Trek 2830.
vsheetz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2014, 12:32 AM   #7

If one goes into a business that sells generators, to buy one. There sits two generators of the same brand, same Kw and both used and 5 years old. One has 95 hours on the hour meter and the other one has 575 hours on it. You would buy the one with 575 hours--right. It was exercised all the time. Should be like new right and good to go... About the only reason to run the generator for short time would be to get fresh gas into the gen carb and supply line to the generator. I change oil and filter on the generator. I Sta-Bil my motor home fuel tank (when topping it off), run the gen for 10 minutes and put it away for the winter. Some times during the winter I start the generator just for something to do and to hear it run.
My dog Corky loves to play and exercise. JMHO
Old 04-02-2014, 01:21 AM   #8

As stated before, running gen going down the road is OK. I personally run mine one hour each month continuously with a load, 2 roof top a/c or heat pumps at least. Adding Sta Bil is a great idea for storage, especially for engines with carburators. However, you still should exercise the gen to reduce moisture and corrosion damage in the windings and electrical components of the generator.
gruelens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2014, 07:32 AM   #9

There's mixed opinions on this subject. There lots of speculation that the (recently added) language about 'exercising' the genny was put there by the company's lawyers, not the engineers.

We have an older Onan genny that is permanently built into a sound insulated box and gets it's fuel from a 5 gallon outboard motor tank. It was put together by my Dad and Uncle in the mid-eighties for one purpose, electricity at our deer camp.

For the last 30'ish years it has been used for 2 weeks a year only. It is run dry and then not touched till the following year.

Tags
generator