Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class C Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 09-27-2015, 10:49 PM   #1

Generator issue

I have a 2006 Winnebago View. It has the 3600 propane generator. It takes three to four start cycles to start. As each cycle progresses it tries to start but can't quite get there. Have checked the screen on the regulator and seem to be getting propane to the carb. After about the third or fourth time it starts and runs like a dream. I don't think it should be this hard to start. The previous owner never used it. Any suggestions?

cph
CPH628 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-27-2015, 10:53 PM   #2

Country Coach Owners Club
Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by CPH628 View Post
The previous owner never used it. Any suggestions?

cph
There's the problem. They need to be run about an hour a month under half load or you will have problems with them.
If you can get it started, and it appears you can, then let it run for a while with a load on it. Maybe three or four hours with an air con or heater on. Possibly that will help. Usually the slip ring becomes corroded from not being used enough
Mr_D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2015, 10:57 PM   #3

Mr D,
I know that could be the cause, any suggestions on hoe to remedy it?

cph
Old 09-27-2015, 11:00 PM   #4

I have run it every month with a load since I bought the rig. Have taken several trips and run it for hours at rest stops. it runs good just very hard to start.

cph
Old 10-01-2015, 08:06 PM   #5

You might have the LP regulator checked. Do the LP appliances work OK?

Do you turn off the LP master between "runs?" These things run on LP vapor and it may take a few seconds, or starting attempts, to charge the lines to the generator and appliances. Ambient temperatures affect the vaporization so it might be a little harder to start when cool/cold out. Also, there's a fairly long fuel line from the midship, opposite side LP tank across to the generator behind the axle and on the opposite side... So it may take a bit of time for valor to get to the generator. Indeed to all the appliances.

You might check the oil level to see that it is not over filled. Yellow dip stick.... Check stone cold. Remove; wipe; insert and lightly tighten; remove and check. "Just right" will be midway in the hashed area. (Oil will expand mightily when it's hot and be at the proper level.)

Since its "new to you" you probably don't know what weight oil is in it. It could have a heavy weight or mono-grade oil that would make it a little touchy to start in cool temperatures. I'd start with an oil change to be sure you have the correct grade for your expected temperatures. A 15W-40 should cover the extremes you are likely to encounter. "OnaMax" if you can find it. Takes about 1L.

If you don't have the manual... It is on line... Good to have in your kit.

I don't think you have an issue as long as the genny runs well; can take a load and produces power when warmed up.

FWIW, my View's 3600LP sits for between 4, 5, 6, 7 weeks between runs. It may take three or four tries to get the vapor up to the unit. Once it's running and warmed up for a couple minutes, it goes to work. Not a big advocate of running 1 hr/month .... That is just burning fuel, polluting the air and laying on engine hours. I do run it and all the appliances & heat pump when I take the RV out for its exercise...when ever that is.

And be glad it's not a diesel or gas unit.... The LP is a lot less maintainence intensive...
Old Crows is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2015, 09:31 PM   #6

Old Crows,
Thanks for the reply! I feel a bit better now. All the appliances work great. Oil level checked ok. I didn't know about the vaporization of the fuel. I do not shut the main vapor valve off. Maybe I should get into that habit. As I stated, it will take 3 to 4 complete start cycles for it to catch and run. When it does it gives me 120 @ 60hz as long as I want it to run. I agree with you on propane vs diesel or gas. Thanks again.

cph
Old 10-05-2015, 05:51 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr_D View Post
There's the problem. They need to be run about an hour a month under half load or you will have problems with them.
If you can get it started, and it appears you can, then let it run for a while with a load on it. Maybe three or four hours with an air con or heater on. Possibly that will help. Usually the slip ring becomes corroded from not being used enough

Can you explain how potential corrosion in the generator side could make the engine side hard to start?

The issue is fuel starvation, it's common for propane valves to have extremely slow leaks, if the genny isn't run for a period of time the propane in the line will escape leaving the engine being feed air instead of fuel until it's cranked enough to purge the line.

Does your unit have a 'prime' function? If so that should help with the problem in any case you might want to get all the connections checked to be sure they're properly tightened.
Old 10-05-2015, 06:33 AM   #8

Propane generators are notorious for having problems. I know that the Generacs had a problem with a computer board that prevented fuel flow. If it is a priming problem you could check to see if an aftermarket fuel primer is available.
2009 Silverado Toad
moisheh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2015, 06:54 AM   #9

Fleetwood Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by moisheh View Post
Propane generators are notorious for having problems. I know that the Generacs had a problem with a computer board that prevented fuel flow. If it is a priming problem you could check to see if an aftermarket fuel primer is available.
Hummmm! Maybe Onan LP units are not notorious for problems.
No trouble starting mine for the 13 years I have owned it.
No belts, antifreeze to change like some generators.

I did have to change out the regulator once on September 2007.
Triker56 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
generator