Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class C Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 06-16-2016, 09:02 AM   #1

Generator or Inverter?

Is running the generator and putting hours on it bad? Should I look to supplement generator usage with an inverter?

I'm not worried about cost of fuel. Will need electricity for the kids to watch TV, lights, etc. Obviously have to use the generator when we want A/C.

Thoughts? Comments?

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-16-2016, 09:09 AM   #2

Monaco Owners Club
If the rig you've got already has a generator I would use it, it is already wired into the rig. The generator is sized to your rig.

If the generator is maintained it will last a long time and in the end won't make a difference in resale.

Bringing a different generator just adds weight and you'd still have to transport and safely handle additional fuel which is always an issue.

jacwjames is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2016, 09:15 AM   #3

Thanks. Generator is built in, the inverter would have to be added.
Old 06-16-2016, 09:16 AM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by tmas View Post
Is running the generator and putting hours on it bad? Should I look to supplement generator usage with an inverter?

Running the Generator is Necessary to it surviving - Many will bring a SMALL Inverter generator for supplemental power - Honda - Ryobi gal a day to run refrigerator and computer - quiet

I'm not worried about cost of fuel. Will need electricity for the kids to watch TV, lights, etc. Obviously have to use the generator when we want A/C.

Thoughts? Comments?
Running what you want/need works the Gen in you Coach? works best and is easy - run it till you see what your need/uses are.

BOL,
Busskipper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2016, 09:19 AM   #5

Monaco Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
When I'm dry camping or driving, I use my gen to power the house AC... the side benefit is that it charges the house batteries so when it cools down in the evenings I use batteries on the inverter to run most everything that I need until I go to bed.

What kind of RV do you have, that will help us answer your question better

No Inverter
How many house Batteries?
bfam2008 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2016, 10:32 AM   #6

You didn't say what your unit is, or how much battery power you have in it. An inverter can kill a battery in as little as four hours... it depends on the load, the number of batteries, and their condition.

As far as the genset, it MUST be run for about 30 minutes a month, at half load. If the genset is exercised and maintained regularly, it will last for many years.

You might want to consider adding a solar power system to the mix. You can get portable systems that sit outside the RV, and just plug into it.
The Logans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2016, 10:41 AM   #7

I don't know if any Gensets have been killed from use.........
many have been killed from non-use.
okcnewbie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2016, 01:59 PM   #8

I haven't picked it up yet, but it's a 2017 Minnie Winnie 31G.
Old 06-16-2016, 02:08 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by tmas View Post
I haven't picked it up yet, but it's a 2017 Minnie Winnie 31G.
Specs show a single group 24 battery. That is not enough for any worthwhile inverter use.

I suggest that you use the generator and see how it does. If you find that the noise bothers you, or you need power during "No Generator Hours" at sites with no electric hookups, then you might consider a battery upgrade and inverter install.
Yellowstone Lake 6-1-2012
bluepill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2016, 02:10 PM   #10

Interesting, it's extremely unusual for a new motorhome with a generator to not have an inverter. Almost all of the units we looked at had a 1,000 to 1,5000 watt inverter.

Even the class B's that we looked at had them. Perhaps you can get the dealership to add one in as part of the deal? It's amazing what a dealer will throw in to make the deal happen.

When we find the inverter most useful is when we are driving (no problem with battery power, as the inverter is fed by the engine alternator). We charge the laptops, phones and tablet from the inverter while driving, as they charge MUCH faster then using a 12v charger. We also have a crock pot going in the sink, and use the pod coffee maker at rest stops... all off of the inverter.

Works great!
The Logans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2016, 02:13 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluepill View Post
Specs show a single group 24 battery. That is not enough for any worthwhile inverter use.

I suggest that you use the generator and see how it does. If you find that the noise bothers you, or you need power during "No Generator Hours" at sites with no electric hookups, then you might consider a battery upgrade and inverter install.
I did get a second battery as an upgrade option.
Old 06-16-2016, 03:03 PM   #12

National RV Owners Club
Holiday Rambler Owners Club
I have a Honda EU2000 that I keep in one of the bays. I use it instead of the 'onboard' sometimes because it is much quieter and doesn't shake the coach. Also it uses about 1/5th of the fuel.

I recently installed a 'soft start' capacitor on one of my AC units so the Honda can even run it. Learned about that from this forum.
Old 06-16-2016, 06:31 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by okcnewbie View Post
I don't know if any Gensets have been killed from use.........
many have been killed from non-use.

X 2!!!!!
I run ours all the time, BEST thing for it!!!😎

Sent from my iPhone using iRV2 - RV Forum
Old 06-16-2016, 06:35 PM   #14

If the MH isn't pre-wired for an inverter, it's quite pricey to have it done. The other option would be to swap out the battery for a bank of 6 volt batts, wire an inverter in the compartment and use an extension cord. Of course, I'll betcha that will void the warranty. Anything you do nowadays voids the warranty!!!

B Dubya is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
generator, inverter