Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class C Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 09-24-2014, 07:34 PM   #1

Generator problem on 2010 Greyhawk

We bought a used Class C Greyhawk 2010. My husband assumed the dealership changed the oil on truck and generator,etc. Our first trip 7 hrs and we have the generator going as we are traveling to a dog show. Right before we arrive after 7 hrs the generator turned off. Husband checked oil in generator and it was low. So we were hooked up to power and before we returned home we bought oil and he put it in generator. He tried getting it started and it would start for a few seconds and die. We got home without using it since it would not start. He bought a new oil filter,we have enough gas in the RV and oil in generator and it still won't run.
Any suggestions???? :-(
FFwife is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-24-2014, 07:52 PM   #2
Community Moderator

Newmar Owners Club

I would start with the easy things. Change the fuel filter. Check for fuel flow, could be your pump.

Happy Trails!!
TonyDi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2014, 08:52 PM   #3

Thanks
Old 09-24-2014, 09:23 PM   #4

Winnebago Owners Club
We had to replace a fuel pump on ours, and it would only run a few minutes prior to replacing it.
Rcandvicki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2014, 08:02 AM   #5

Fuel filter is my thought at first too. Change or clean the spark plug too.That it runs for a few seconds shows it is not seized, it is getting fuel and spark, so it may be just a dirty filter or plug. If he can reach it have him remove and inspect the air filter and shoot some carburetor cleaner in there as the carb may be gummed up. Good easy things to try. Good luck.
jdoran1973 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2014, 08:42 PM   #6

Make sure everything that could be drawing power (especially big stuff like A/C) or off while you start the generator. Starting it with a load will cause it to die quickly!
kevinyeamans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2014, 05:45 PM   #7

On mine there was a small check valve. I don't remember the exact location. It has a spring and ball it can get yucked up and cause the same problem as the fuel filter. I paid to have it done because everything else looked fine.
Michael Coke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2014, 01:06 PM   #8

I know this is a bit dated but I thought I would chime in. We have a Greyhawk as well and there is a safety in the system that will not let the generator run if the fuel tank goes below a little over 1/4 tank. When we learned about it we had to do quite a bit of priming to get it to take again.
Old 10-21-2014, 01:48 PM   #9

Monaco Owners Club
Hopefully it was just fuel related and you have it running great now. If not......

I was told over at ( smokstak ) while troubleshooting my onan 4k that sometimes if they stop while under a load that the voltage regulator can go bad. The idea is that while it's dying the regulator tries to keep the voltage up until it can't. I did have a bad voltage regulator on one of my onan's that I fixed.
If you do need parts for the generator side at some point the folks at flightsystems.com are very helpful. They have even helped me troubleshoot via email.
okcnewbie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2014, 11:36 PM   #10

I stopped over in Barstow and a guy had a new greyhawk 30 footer. The onan generator wouldn't start. We tried everything. But no dice. A few folks have had to return the new grayhawks to the deal. Especially the ford Econoline because the generator was defective.
cimplexsound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2014, 06:58 AM   #11

Wish I could tell all of you that it's up and running but it's not. It has been sitting in orlando at the cummins south repair place needing $1,800.00 worth of work that after owning it for a few months and this being the first time we took it out,apparently the breather valve went bad and leaked oil into the coils and shorted out the electrical system. Best part is when the ext. Warranty sent out their adjustor that took 6 pictures and spoke to the diagnostic guy that spent over an hr. Pleading our case to the ext. Warranty company to then be told that "leaks" aren't covered.
We paid $3,841.50 for this warranty!!!
I had to go back to the rv dealership with all the bills and paperwork and assert myself.
Then when you google this ext warranty company you get over 300 complaints on them. This has not been fun :-(
Old 10-22-2014, 07:31 AM   #12

Care to name the external warranty company? We have an external warranty and wonder if it's the same.
dsurette is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2014, 08:54 AM   #13

Usually most of my friends who have these Ford Grayhawks have been told by the dealer to contact onan directly. So if your generator is an onan I hear they have excellent customer service. My friend got his fixed right away.
cimplexsound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2014, 09:35 AM   #14

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by FFwife View Post
Warranty company to then be told that "leaks" aren't covered.
We paid $3,841.50 for this warranty!!!
I had to go back to the rv dealership with all the bills and paperwork and assert myself.
Then when you google this ext warranty company you get over 300 complaints on them. This has not been fun :-(
IMHO the non warranty hit man was using the fact that the warranty doesn't cover normal leaks. Clearly this is not a normal wear and tear issue. You had a catastrophic component failure that causes a subsequent electronic failure. In my Onan most of the electonic parts are potted or sealed. I would think there is at least a chance that the unit had a leak and also shorted. Maybe the oil leak didn't actally cause the short.

Did you have to pay for any of the work? I would be very interested in what actually cost 1800.
okcnewbie is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
generator