Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class C Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 04-07-2015, 12:07 PM   #1

Getting the pink antifreeze smell out of my lines

Hello everyone. Before the cold weather started in the Northeast I added pink antifreeze too my freshwater tank so I could use The bathroom in my unit during the winter. I emptied out the remaining pink. I filled the 40 gallon with fresh water then dump it. Refilled again added 2 cups of bleach then dump once again. Filled up one more time to make sure the bleach was out dumped again then refilled with fresh water. I am still getting that smell of the pink. I never drink the water but would like to use it for showering. Any tricks or ideas or should I just keep repeating with bleach and fresh water. Thanks all
on2thenext is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-07-2015, 12:20 PM   #2

Tiffin Owners Club
Can't help you with the removal of the odor. After all the flushing that you have done, only time will do that AFAIK. My suggestion though is to use Prestone RV antifreeze (more of a clear red fluid), which has far less smell or taste than the pink stuff. Only a dollar more per gallon at Walmart than the pink stuff too. That or as some have suggested before, use diluted vodka or everclear. De-winterizing with that in your tank can be fun!
Old 04-07-2015, 01:03 PM   #3

Winnebago Owners Club
I suggest that you may be adding the bleach solution and draining it to soon. Put in the bleach and fill with water, then take it for a ride. Let the solution splash around a bit, even over night if you have the time. Drain, refill, drain, refill and add a cup of white vinegar to dilute the taste and smell of the bleach. Drain and flush again then refill with fresh water should do the trick. Hopefully, before filling with antifreeze you had bypassed the hot water heater and kept it bypassed until the flushing was complete. Anti freeze heated in the heater leaves an awful smell that you do not want to deal with.
Old 04-07-2015, 01:08 PM   #4

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Do a full de-winterization
Drain
Fill fresh tank with a mix of water and bleach (1/4 cup to 15 gallons)
Pump into all lines and then drain again (just the fesh tank)

Refill with water and bakign soda 1/2 to 1 cup

Pump through all the lines till you no longer have bleach aroma (or till a PH sensor strips (Swimming pool supply) Show strong alkaline reaction)

NOTE: Do not forget ice maker, Showers (inside and out) and toilet.

Finally drain and flush fill with just water... Flush till strips no longr show strong reaction (no need to flush toilet line here but you can)

NEXT FALL: WIntrize by dry method.. Blow out the lines after opening all valves. Drain water heater, Remove ECO lead (Atwood) put pink in toilets and drains only... If the air in the lines ever freezes.. You won't be worrying about the RV... You will, as they say, have only two worries.. Both of which start with H, one is Heaven.
Old 04-07-2015, 02:46 PM   #5

Lol I did use Prestone antifreeze and I did bypass the hot water heater I will try some of your suggestions thank you.
Old 04-07-2015, 05:34 PM   #6

Tiffin Owners Club
Wow, just think how bad it would have been with the pink stuff.
Old 04-13-2015, 06:44 PM   #7

Don't forget the low drains.
Old 04-14-2015, 08:08 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by on2thenext View Post
Lol I did use Prestone antifreeze and I did bypass the hot water heater I will try some of your suggestions thank you.

A thought or two.
First, automotive antifreeze is poisonous. You may have contaminated your entire water system. Not sure if simply flushing with baking soda is the answer.
Second, when winterizing, do not forget the outside shower.
Garrette is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2015, 08:52 PM   #9

Tiffin Owners Club
The Prestone antifreeze that we are talking about is RV antifreeze, not automotive antifreeze. It is made by Prestone, non-toxic and less "aromatic" than the pink stuff. Thanks for your concern though.
Old 04-15-2015, 01:18 AM   #10

Yes I understand that I used the Prestone antifreeze it is also pink correct?
Old 04-15-2015, 05:30 AM   #11
Commercial Member

The antifreeze that you used must say RV Antifreeze. Just because it appears pink does not indicate it is safe for drinking water.

The other issue is that if you allowed this mixture to enter your water heater, then the calcium in the heater tank has absorbed much of the mixture. Be sure when flushing your system to use a water heater flushing wand and clean the heater several times.

Some people actually put some vinegar in the heater tank to break down the scale on the inside. This also must be flushed multiple times.

The tip above about using breach in your fresh tank and driving is also good with the addition of pumping it thru the system and letting it sit for a period of time before draining everything.

Good luck and happy camping.
Old 04-15-2015, 05:55 AM   #12

On2thenext,
The ideas that you have heard are good ones so try them to remove the odor. Using the pink RV antifreeze is the best way to winterize in extreme cold areas like Colo. but next time don't put the pink stuff in your fresh tank just to use the toilet. Carry 6-8 1gal jugs of water in the shower area and use that water to flush the toilet. Before we went full-timing, we did a lot of winter RVing in Colo. and that method worked great. Happy Camping
Czar Of Poop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2015, 06:56 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by PushedAround View Post
The Prestone antifreeze that we are talking about is RV antifreeze, not automotive antifreeze. It is made by Prestone, non-toxic and less "aromatic" than the pink stuff. Thanks for your concern though.
I learn something every day. Thank you for clearing that up. Did not know that prestone had RV antifreeze. I will check it out. Thank you.
Garrette is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2015, 09:49 PM   #14

Tiffin Owners Club
It's available at Walmart, usually for only a dollar a gallon more than the pink stuff.

Tags
smell