Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class C Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 09-13-2006, 02:54 AM   #1
Moderator Emeritus

Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Coastal Campers
Carolina Campers
Hershey, PA

In the currently running PRVCA Show at the Giant Center in Hershey, PA The GM/Workhorse Class C powered motorhome is becoming more visible at manufacturer displays.

Manufacturers including Winnebago, Gulfstream and others are showing the new 14,050 GVW class C chassis in proportion to the legacy Ford product.

Powered by the Hi-Tech GM Vortec 6.0L engine in the GM/Workhorse Class C, I'm sure you will be as surprised as I was as to how smooth this coach rides. The features that were most noticeable to me were reduced engine noise, ride comfort and directional control.

If you are in the market for a Class C you should be able to test drive the same model coach on both chassis.

Previous or current GM owners now have a choice when considering a Class C motorhome.
RV/MH Hall of Fame - Lifetime Member
DriVer is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-13-2006, 02:54 AM   #2
Moderator Emeritus

Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Coastal Campers
Carolina Campers
Hershey, PA

In the currently running PRVCA Show at the Giant Center in Hershey, PA The GM/Workhorse Class C powered motorhome is becoming more visible at manufacturer displays.

Manufacturers including Winnebago, Gulfstream and others are showing the new 14,050 GVW class C chassis in proportion to the legacy Ford product.

Powered by the Hi-Tech GM Vortec 6.0L engine in the GM/Workhorse Class C, I'm sure you will be as surprised as I was as to how smooth this coach rides. The features that were most noticeable to me were reduced engine noise, ride comfort and directional control.

If you are in the market for a Class C you should be able to test drive the same model coach on both chassis.

Previous or current GM owners now have a choice when considering a Class C motorhome.
Old 09-13-2006, 01:14 PM   #3

Thanks for the info. Any idea how this will affect towing capacity and power to tow. My concern has been that the GM V-8 didn't have the power to tow 5000lbs as well as the Ford V-10. What's your take on this?
dmatt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2006, 06:55 AM   #4
Moderator Emeritus

Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Coastal Campers
Carolina Campers
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by dmatt:
What's your take on this? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>To tell you the truth, I have a 26,000 GCWR Class A motorhome and towing a 5,000 pound toad would not be something that I would want to habitually do. I traded off a Trailblazer that weighed 4700 pounds for a 3700 pound Saturn Vue and I'm glad I did.

I haven't weighed any Class C motorhomes in the 14,050 weight range but I am going to take a guess that their CCC isn't that stellar after the manufacturers get finished and the owner puts all their stuff inside including all the fluids.

I believe that there should be some support for this statement by the owners in this forum but I wouldn't feel too comfortable yanking on a 5,000 pound toad all day long with any Class C.

The GM/Workhorse has a GCWR of 17,600 pounds which would allow you to tow at max GVW a 3,550 pound toad. It's not going to be too hard to find a toad that can fit into that weight range.

Not to second guess the E-450s 20,000 GCWR rating but I feel that the GM's 17,600 GCWR rating is probably more where folks should think about living when pulling a toad with a Class C motorhome. Your needs may be contrary to how I perceive this issue.

If you want a GM vehicle in the 14,050 GVWR range you now have a choice. Manufacturers are building on the chassis and regardless of the GCWR you are going to see more GM/Workhorse Class C coaches on dealer lots.

It is going to be "very" interesting to see IF GM will extend their 5 year 100,000 mile warranty to their Class C fleet.
Old 09-14-2006, 07:09 AM   #5

Thanks DriVer. The reason I ask about the 5000lb capacity is that I was hoping to tow our 4800lb boat sometimes. Most of the time we won't be towing anything at all. Only when we go on our 2 week camping trip to Shaver Lake.
dmatt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2006, 03:18 PM   #6

I test drove a Coachmen Workhorse/Chevy a few weeks ago and was pleased.

Lots of room up front and very easy to drive.

As we will never toad or tow the GCWR is not an issue.

I had never driven a MOHO before, but within a few miles I was driving like a pro.

Now... I almost have the wife talked into it!!!

Also, BTW, Coachmen quality is VERY improved over the past!
Old 09-19-2006, 12:12 PM   #7
Moderator Emeritus

Nor'easters Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
iRV2 No Limits Club
DriVer, the Saturn Vue you are towing, is that with four wheels down or on a tow dolly.
Someone told me I would need a dolly.
RV SYSTEMS & APPLIANCES & RECALLS --- TECH INFORMATION
"007" is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2006, 01:47 PM   #8
Moderator Emeritus

Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Coastal Campers
Carolina Campers
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by "007":
DriVer, the Saturn Vue you are towing, is that with four wheels down or on a tow dolly. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>007, That's 4 wheels down and locked.

One member wrote that he was towing a 2007 4 cylinder model which I was surprised to see as being towable but it is!
Old 09-19-2006, 02:15 PM   #9
Moderator Emeritus

Nor'easters Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
iRV2 No Limits Club
Thank you my friend.
RV SYSTEMS & APPLIANCES & RECALLS --- TECH INFORMATION
"007" is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2006, 12:18 PM   #10

Does everyone know that the only thing on a Workhorse Chevy that is Workhorese is the emblem.
Hogwart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2006, 12:51 PM   #11
Moderator Emeritus

Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Coastal Campers
Carolina Campers
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Hogwart:
Does everyone know that the only thing on a Workhorse Chevy that is Workhorse is the emblem. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>Hogwart, Yes we know that but more importantly so does GM.

Workhorse does all the marketing for the product, prints the brochures and advertising plus the engineering staff had input into the creation of the product. Once purchased the motorhome is serviced at Chevrolet & GMC dealerships across the country however they are not serviced at Workhorse service centers.

Thank you for choosing to join us on iRV2.com please do come back and visit us often.
Old 10-18-2006, 02:02 PM   #12

Workhorse Chassis Owner
I have been told the Vue went to an all HOnda
drive train a couple of yrs. ago. Thus it is
towable 4 wheels down. TENN.