Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class C Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 04-23-2019, 07:38 PM   #1

Going From 40' Down To 25' Questions

We want to do a lot of back country boondocking and ordered a 25' class C - one problem we cant figure out is it only has a bed and dinette.

I get up around 5:00 and my wife sleeps to 7:00 or 8:00 and I dont know what to do to stay quiet for her and not go insane with nothing to do but sit at the dinette - not fun as I am over 6'3" and 240 pounds.

Thanks
RikR is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-23-2019, 07:54 PM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by RikR View Post
We want to do a lot of back country boondocking and ordered a 25' class C - one problem we cant figure out is it only has a bed and dinette.

I get up around 5:00 and my wife sleeps to 7:00 or 8:00 and I dont know what to do to stay quiet for her and not go insane with nothing to do but sit at the dinette - not fun as I am over 6'3" and 240 pounds.

Thanks
Guess why we just went from a Sprinter class C to a Tiffin Class A 35'. This is an issue I always ran into as I am an early riser and she is not. There is basically no room, to sit and do anything without bothering the sleeping person. I'm a big guy too, and it just always drove me nuts in the mornings. The other issue I had was no place to relax. We upgraded, because - well, there is just not enough space for us as we were bumping our heads on cabinets, bumping into each other, and the split bed design was a real PITA for us. My wife hated it after a while. Plus, at 6' 3", I don't know how you are going to be comfortable on a short queen bed. If you haven't already pulled the trigger, you may want to either rent one for a few days, or go and sit in one for a while to sort through your concerns.
HighDesert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2019, 08:03 PM   #3

You could always get a headset so you can watch TV and/or listen to music. I bought these Artiste headphones so I can watch late night TV while the wife sleeps.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	61bx3uJ2zwL._SL1001_.jpg
Views:	72
Size:	76.4 KB
ID:	243348  
grindstone01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2019, 09:22 PM   #4

Ford Super Duty Owner
We went from 35 to 25, but usually get up together. When not, I pull the curtain across and have my coffee outside or quietly.
Dave1956 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2019, 09:44 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by grindstone01 View Post
You could always get a headset so you can watch TV and/or listen to music. I bought these Artiste headphones so I can watch late night TV while the wife sleeps.
Great idea!
Old 04-23-2019, 09:45 PM   #6

We upsized too much and backed off to a 26.5' Navion. It has 2 separate living areas separated by the bathroom, which works out perfectly for us. TVs in both areas, and a thick curtain that acts as a light/sound baffle. Each to his own, budget permitting.
Old 04-23-2019, 09:54 PM   #7

Quote:

Thanks
You hit on the exact reason we went from a 22 to a 32 footer. The dinette gets very uncomfortable after sitting any length of time. If you want a couch, you need to go at least 30 foot, and even at that it's just a 2 seater couch. My Jayco has wooden pocket doors so the queen bed can be walled off from noise. I can sit on the couch with coffee while she sleeps in. I want to kindly suggest that I think you went too small. I still would like a rig with opposing couches, but that puts me at 38 to 40 foot.
Kraken is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2019, 12:46 AM   #8

Monaco Owners Club
I couldn't live with just a bed and dinette. We have an Isata 3 24FW with the theater seats. Between the reclining seats is a deep console with cupholders plus small tables that swivel in the outside armrests. It's a very comfortable place to relax with a cup of coffee.
Old 04-24-2019, 07:56 AM   #9

Thor Owners Club
KZ RV Club
We went from a 26ft TT to a 32 Ft Class C.
I’m 6’3”, 200lbs. I built a bed extension on both. Replaced the jackknife sofa with a couple of recliners.
DW sleeps in while I get up with the fur babies. I then sit in a recliner or sit outside with my coffee until DW awakes.
LandKO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2019, 08:21 AM   #10

Tiffin Owners Club
Winnebago Owners Club
You have bigger problems going from 40' to 25' then the lack of a separate bedroom and only a dinette. The real question will be how well can you do without the storage space, water capacity, lower electrical capacities, and so on.

We went from a 36' Phaeton that we fulltimed in to a 25' Navion. Still have the dog, the cat, and the wife but our travel changed substantially. We are now weekenders and maybe only a long trip in the summer. We can easily cope on weekend trips with a variety of different living styles ranging from dry camping to full hookups.
luvlabs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2019, 02:27 PM   #11

Our old motorhome used to have a passenger seat swivel, made a nice nook at the front, could sit and read or look out at the world.

The new one doesn't, I kind of miss it.
Old 04-24-2019, 02:43 PM   #12

Quote:

Thanks
Hmmmm ... our 24 foot Class C has a dinette plus a swiveling and sliding lounge chair. These are in addition to it's queen corner bed in the rear and the queen bed in the cabover.

I'm 6'2"/225 lbs. and use the dinette just fine in the evenings. My wife gets the loung chair. For what it's worth if we wanted, we could temporarily in the evenings set up a folding lounge chair in the galley area if we wanted and remove it when going to bed.

To us, having a small Class C is way more important than not being able to "lounge in luxury" in an RV. Our longest RV trips to date have been one of 9 weeks and one of 10 weeks. Each trip covered greater than 6000 miles.
Phil G. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2019, 02:51 PM   #13

This was one reason we 'split the difference' and went with our Class C Winnebago 25B floorplan. It has a comfortable 67" sofa. No way we could live with just a dinette. Especially for TV watching.
Old 04-24-2019, 03:02 PM   #14

Winnebago Owners Club
Quote:

Thanks
May not have been the best decision. You can always find a place to boon dock with a larger coach. I have seen 45' out in the desert.