Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class C Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 06-01-2012, 12:35 PM   #1

Got weighed today....

Had a chance to take our rig to the scales today. Found a local moving company with a scale. Was not able to get a four corner weigh due to their scale set up. It had rasied rails from one ramp to the other.
I had a full tank of gas, 5 gallons on fresh, full water heater, 2 gallons in the black and another 2 gallons in the grey. I had about 80% of the items we take camping in the rig less food and clothes.
We have a 2006 Lazy Daze 26.5' rear bath model on a E450 chassis. I was not in the rig when it was on the scales.
Front axle: 3580
Rear axle: 8380
Total: 11930
GAWR Front 4600
GAWR Rear 9450
GVWR 14050
Looks like I am ok. Of course things will change once we add our food, clothes and passengers.
After reading about how many rigs are overweight or close right out of the box I was worried. If I am not looking that this right please comment. Thanks

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-01-2012, 12:42 PM   #2

Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
You're right, lots of RV's are overweight when they are made. Our 41' DSDP weighed 12,050 on the front axle (12,000# axle) if I filled the fuel and propane tanks. that was BEFORE we loaded anything, even ourselves. Newmar did fix it though by having Spartan put a 14,600# axle under it.
Yours looks pretty good but you still can't take your bowling ball or rock collection with you!!
You really should get four corner weights though (as you know). Our right front weighs 600#'s more than the left and the rear is 200#'s heavier on the left.

Mr_D is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2012, 12:53 PM   #3

Just did our maiden voyage in our new to us Sunseeker 2300. It has a Triton V10 and I had the cruise set for 90kph . Only got 9.5mpg. Granted I was driving in the Rockies for part of the trip.
Old 06-04-2012, 08:13 AM   #4

Ford Super Duty Owner
Send a message via Yahoo to Davinger
I have a 2011 Jayco 31FS on a 2010 Ford E450 and I am afraid to weigh it. I am pretty sure that it is overweight already. The good news it that Ford doesn't want to be sued so they well within the safety ratings at 14500.
Old 06-04-2012, 09:54 AM   #5

Ford Super Duty Owner
Well I bit the bullet and took it to a local moving company with a full gas and LP and 5 gallons of Water in the tank no food or passengers or clothes.

2011 Jayco Greyhawk 31FS 32.5 feet bumper to bumper

Steering Axle Net 4420
Drive Axle Net 9360
Gross Weight 13780

It cost more to fill the gas tank than it did to weigh it but I feel more secure now knowing that I have 720 LBS to play with. Maybe I should diet...
Old 06-04-2012, 01:25 PM   #6

I weighed my 2012 Born Free-24 Rear Bath (E-450) recently. Full fuel, full water, minimal stuff and driver 12,140 (Ft.3220, rear 8920). loaded 7 of my biggest fishing buddies and weighed again 13,720 (Ft. 3900, rear 9820). I had about 70 lbs on the hitch in both cases to help simulate trailer tongue weight. Ford puts 5,000 # front axle and a 9,600 rear axle on the 2012 chassis.

The loaded weight was an extreme case but it does point out why I stayed away from the Sprinter chassis and motor homes with a lot of rear "overhang".

Rich

Nexus Ghost
richf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2012, 01:32 PM   #7

Winnebago Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
In Washington State (Sequim) area, who can weight my motorhome for me?
Old 06-04-2012, 02:17 PM   #8

Ford Super Duty Owner
Most moving companies will have scales they charged me $10.00 cash only...
Old 06-04-2012, 05:45 PM   #9

I did the same thing . Called a local moving company and they did it for $10 cash.
Old 06-16-2012, 07:59 PM   #10

As the original poster I wanted to come back and update the post.
We took a trip from VA to Fl this past week.
Had the rig fully loaded for a week of camping.
Also had some extra stuff to bring down to family in Fl.
Had a full tank of fuel, 10 gallons of fresh water, 2 gallons in the black and an empty grey tank. It was just me and my wife.
Got it weighed at a Flying J CAT scale.
Steer axle 3780
Drive axle 8620
Toad 2900 (2003 VW Golf GL)
Gross weight 15300 with toad. Without toad 12400

One thing I just learned about on this forum is that Ford states that 32% of the total weight should be on the front axle. From the numbers above I am only at 30% and should have another 248 lbs on the front axle. The weather going down was windy and rainy and on the return trip it was very windy as well. I wonder if I was balanced better if I would not have had to chase the steering as much this trip. I already have a rear trac bar and bilstien shocks. I also dialed in my tire pressures per the chart.... although I did run them 5 psi higher than the chart.
It could have been the weather but it was a chore this trip to keep a straight line.
Old 06-18-2012, 06:21 AM   #11

Ford Super Duty Owner
One thing I learned quickly about an RV is that they are a sail. There is a great deal of surface for the wind to push. I drove my father-in-law's Class A from Clarksville Va to Fl and it was blustery day. My arms were tired when I pulled it into a lot.
Old 06-18-2012, 06:43 AM   #12

Monaco Owners Club
Had the same problem being a liitle light in the front. I just bought DW a large box of chocolates and a dozen doughnuts each week for a month or so, problem fixed!
clyon51 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2012, 05:56 AM   #13

Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by AXG1040 View Post
One thing I just learned about on this forum is that Ford states that 32% of the total weight should be on the front axle. From the numbers above I am only at 30% and should have another 248 lbs on the front axle.
248 LBS is really not that bad and generally you have to go inside to get the weight quote so. As long as you and whoever is in the front seat weighs at least 124LBS you have solved your own problem. (Almost but it is early and I don't feel like doing the math...)
Old 06-19-2012, 03:03 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by Davinger View Post
248 LBS is really not that bad and generally you have to go inside to get the weight quote so. As long as you and whoever is in the front seat weighs at least 124LBS you have solved your own problem. (Almost but it is early and I don't feel like doing the math...)

At the CAT scale you pull up to the speaker box and hit the button. They tell you to wait a bit and give you the ok to come inside and get the ticket. The rig is weighed while you wait for the ok to move.
We were both in the front seats at the time it was weighed. It must have been funny to watch me as the speaker box/button is at the height for a semi truck window. I had to stand on my running board on my tip toes to reach the button to start the process.
It was also good that the pads on the scale are segmented so you can get the front, drive and toad weights individually.