Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class C Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 05-16-2006, 02:10 PM   #1

Hi gang. I have an '05 Jayco Granite Ridge and am wndering if anyone has any experience with using GPS in their 'C.' Any feedback would be greatly appreciated.

If interested, come visit us in the iRV2 Chatters chat room. We're there just about every evening from about 8:30pm eastern until about 10:00pm. It's a great bunch of folks!

Skip- Kerrville, TX is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-16-2006, 02:10 PM   #2

Hi gang. I have an '05 Jayco Granite Ridge and am wndering if anyone has any experience with using GPS in their 'C.' Any feedback would be greatly appreciated.

If interested, come visit us in the iRV2 Chatters chat room. We're there just about every evening from about 8:30pm eastern until about 10:00pm. It's a great bunch of folks!

Old 05-16-2006, 03:56 PM   #3

Location: Fulltiming. Living wherever the jacks hit the ground.
Well, I don't have a C, but here goes anyway. :-)

I've used a laptop with GPS in my class a for several years. I use Streets and Trips as the program and have used 2 kinds of GPS. It works great for the MH, but, I tow a Honda Accord. Real hard to put the laptop on the dash of the car, and still see where you're going.

When we're in a new area, or looking for a service in the area we're in at the time, we've always printed the maps out of S&T and then done our best. Most times our best wasn't good enough. Got lost in the hills of SW Maine, Boston, Washington DC, Philadelphia, Orlando, etc. Had to find a new, and better way to do things.

A few days ago, and after a lot of research, I bought a Lowrance iWAY 350C, and love it.
http://www.lowrance.com/Automotive/P...s/iWAY350C.asp

In the brief time I've used it, and played with it, it appears to be dead on accurate. It gives voice instructions, doubles as a MP3 player using an FM Modulator broadcasting over the FM radio in the car/rig. It has a SD slot, and I bought a 1 gig card. I've got over 130 songs on the card so far, and it's about 1/2 full.

I searched http://www.bizrate.com for the best price, and abes of maine was the lowest, but thankfully, they wouldn't ship to an RV Park or Campground. I've since learned that they have one of the lowest ratings for online sales. Avoid them.

I bought for $378.00 plus shipping at buydig.com, but I see that their price is now $499.

What else can I say, I'm happy.
Old 05-16-2006, 06:48 PM   #4

Thanks for the reply, Bob. My concern is whether the gps unit will be able to receive signals from the satelites through the front overhang.

Old 05-16-2006, 07:17 PM   #5

You know, I don't know what to say about that.

Right now I'm sitting with the front windows of the MH facing about due East. I have the sun screens on the outside of the windows, and just started the GPS. It's sitting about 18" back on the dash. I just started it up to check on signal, and I'm now locked onto 5 birds, giving a 3D reading, of Lat/Long and Elevation.

I'm moving tomorrow and will let you know how it works, but if I can get a lock the way things are setup now, tomorrow should be a snap.

Now, if you want to spend another $200.00, you can get the iWAY 500C. It has a plug-in for a external antenna. I'll report back tomorrow afternoon.
Old 05-17-2006, 11:15 AM   #6

Skip:

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">My concern is whether the gps unit will be able to receive signals from the satelites through the front overhang.
</div></BLOCKQUOTE>

I use a Delorme GPS with the Delorme Street Atlas on my laptop. I place the receiver on the dash, up next to the glass and never had a problem getting signal. We even use our Easy-Pass for the tolls and have not had a problem with the overhang on the motorhome.

Hope this helps
Old 05-17-2006, 03:14 PM   #7

Made a short run from Grand Rivers, KY to Paris, TN. Down The Trace and then over to Paris. I kept the iWAY sitting back about 18" from the front windshield. BTW, my MH has the front end that has nearly zero slope back. The GPS stayed locked on between 6 and nine sats.

I didn't think I would see less, but wanted to confirm what I thought I'd see. Now, my guess is that if you were to be driving down hill, heading due north, you might have some problems on and off.
Old 05-17-2006, 06:29 PM   #8

Thanks for the replies, Bob and Candice. Now I know what to expect should I decide on a gps system... right now I am relying on analog! lol

Skip

Old 05-20-2006, 01:47 PM   #9
Community Moderator

Nor'easters Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
iRV2 No Limits Club
Skip take a look on the new product forum or the Newmar forum I posted some info on the Garmin c330 have used it in Lincoln with skyroof, middle of front seat and it worked just fine. "007"
RV SYSTEMS & APPLIANCES & RECALLS --- TECH INFORMATION
"007" is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2006, 06:53 PM   #10

Skip, I use my Magellan Roadmate GPS in my Jayco Escapade. It works just fine, no problems with the antenna with the overhang.
Old 05-28-2006, 05:01 PM   #11

I have a Garmin 60CS and it works just fine in my Winnebago Minnie. I've used it hooked up to my laptop for routing and also have played with it back in the coach and I always get a signal.
Old 07-04-2006, 05:01 AM   #12

My experience with a truck camper, motorcycle and a 24' C is to use a remote antenna . I have 2 older Garmin units (street pilot and a E map) they both work much better with a remote antenna. I bought magnetic antenna's for all 3 vechicle on E bay. Without the antenna I was getting frequent loss of signal, very fustrating if you're running a trip log or looking for a turn.
Old 07-04-2006, 06:10 AM   #13

Winnebago Owners Club
I use a Garmin 2620 in a Winnebago View --- no external antenna --- works fine.
Old 07-17-2006, 08:00 AM   #14

Damon Owners Club
Hi all,

Had trouble with the gps picking up due to the Class "C" overhang, and the lap top crowded the front and the co-pilot she would get really, well, lets say irritated. Finally put the laptop on the floor behind the seats, also ran the Delerome GPS gps along the wall and velcrowed to the inside of the front vent frame if I loose a signal we are either in mountains or under tree canopy, great success, quick signal acq.. Works good for me ya might give it a try.

Mike

Swannee is offline   Reply With Quote