Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class C Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 02-05-2012, 09:46 AM   #15

Holiday Rambler Owners Club
I have a Garmin Nuvi 885 that I have used on the dash with the bean bag and I also used a little gadget my Nephew turned me onto that attaches to your air vent fins on the dash that allows you to attach your Garmin to that. Both work great for us and the vent thing removes the dash clutter.

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-05-2012, 10:05 AM   #16

Winnebago Owners Club
Vintage RV Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by rough road View Post
Possum, the outside mount makes the most sense to me and you confirm what the people who I read about say, I think they said since the outside receiver was put on the vehicle they have never lost the signal.
More than one person has told me that the same is true for the external cell phone antenna with the booster but when you think about things it common sense.
Thanks, the unit we use is seen here
HOLUX - The Pro Name in GPS
The only additional thing we needed to purchase for C class use was an addition 6 foot extension cord for the USB cord to reach the laptop. I will be getting a netbook soon to use as a dedicated GPS unit to sit on the dash. The current use of a largish laptop limits its location to atop the doghouse and I have to divert my eyes from the road if the spoken directions don't click.
I have the S & T 2011 which is the latest version. One nice thing about the S & T system is the road repairs update feature. When you plan a route the computer checks a database somewhere that tells you the dates of planned work along your route. I have gone around construction sites using this feature.

I like it but YMMV.

Dennis

Old 02-07-2012, 07:05 PM   #17

Thor Owners Club
Gulf Streamers Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
We use a Garmin Nuvi on the dash all the time with no problems. I will check out the laptop someday tho.
Bill
Bill----WWJU
woodworker414 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2012, 12:55 PM   #18

I bought a Garmin Nuvi 1450 LMT for about $150... can be had for less now... that includes lifetime map updates and traffic receiver plus it connects to my cell phone bluetooth for hands free calls... a lot less $ than a laptop and sits on the dash in a beanbag mount very nicely....

Joe
jerzeyjoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2012, 04:08 PM   #19

Thor Owners Club
Gulf Streamers Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
My Garmin is to old to have the free upgrades, but that will change in the future. Looks like one of the grandkids will get a used Garmin.
Bill
Bill----WWJU
woodworker414 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2012, 08:27 PM   #20

I have a 97 Gulfstream Conquest and have been using the Tom Tom 340XL for quite some time now and I mount it on the windshield on the lower left corner and keep it powered with the car charger that came with the unit. We have not had any issues with the unit except for on occasion the roads were not updated and we found ourselves a few 1000 feet from where we needed to be. Other than that whether you have a GPS on the dash or mounted on the windshield on a C class it will work.

Kr8zfit
Old 02-24-2012, 10:23 AM   #21

Ford Super Duty Owner
Jayco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dougrus View Post
Getting ready to finalize our 1st class c purchase, little things keep popping into my head. Will a GPS unit work on the dash with the over cab bunk? I have a great unit i use in the Family vehicle, and just realized it may not work with the overhang...
I have an overhang on my Class C also, and use a Garmin. Works just fine, wouldn't leave home without it! I live in Illinois and also use an IPass which also works just fine.
Happy motoring.
Old 03-02-2012, 11:31 AM   #22

Tiffin Owners Club
We have a Garmin Nuvi on the beanbag. No problems at all, works great.

Charles G.
Charles G. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2012, 04:34 PM   #23

GPS Class C

I drive a class C and have no problems. I only use Garmins. AND Another Tip. I use velcro on the back. I put it where my wife or me can easy reach. I found it too distracting to have near windshield. Also, I use commericial grade velcro. Buy some at an auto parts store. You have the best quality if there is only one strip that you cut to length. **** This velcro does NOT come with two strips. Both are a plastic and NOT with the soft side. Difficult to explain. And it ONLY comes with self adhesive.
Old 03-02-2012, 08:08 PM   #24

We have had no trouble with ours. You can get a remote antennae probably.
puddintang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2012, 09:32 AM   #25

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dougrus View Post
Getting ready to finalize our 1st class c purchase, little things keep popping into my head. Will a GPS unit work on the dash with the over cab bunk? I have a great unit i use in the Family vehicle, and just realized it may not work with the overhang...
Most RV GPS units will work fine even with the cab over bunk while sitting on the dash. As long as there isn't much metal or rock between you and the sky the GPS should be able to get a signal through the walls of the camper without much trouble.

We only have a class B, but there is still a metal/wood/fiberglass roof above our heads and it doesn't interfere with the signal of the GPS that we can tell.

We rarely lose signal, if ever.
Old 08-27-2012, 11:03 AM   #26

I am going to get in the 'fray' here and ask "what is the deal with GPS units"? While I have used them in the military a lot, I see too many people not using them 'properly' and relying on them too much. What happend to using good maps on the internet? This last week there was aperson that was using their GPS, which told them to make a 'right' turn now and they ended up going down a boat launch, well into the water. I have also had people coming to Alaska, and their GPS really messed up the direction for them.
Guess that if you are using a GPS that one needs to use some 'common' sense withit.
R2Home is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2012, 11:21 AM   #27

Winnebago Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Had the Garmin Nuvi 1490 LMT and now the rnd7710 plus we use a usb gps that connects to the laptop and all work fine.
Todd
Demco KarKaddy 460SS
Maddawgs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2012, 09:54 AM   #28

Quote:
Originally Posted by R2Home View Post
I am going to get in the 'fray' here and ask "what is the deal with GPS units"? While I have used them in the military a lot, I see too many people not using them 'properly' and relying on them too much. What happend to using good maps on the internet? This last week there was aperson that was using their GPS, which told them to make a 'right' turn now and they ended up going down a boat launch, well into the water. I have also had people coming to Alaska, and their GPS really messed up the direction for them.
Guess that if you are using a GPS that one needs to use some 'common' sense withit.
There is no substitute for common sense!