Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class C Motorhome Discussions
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2
Old 05-15-2016, 01:27 PM   #1
Cool Grey water won't drain

I am new to this site and new to RVing. We just bought a 2013 Winnebago Aspect 27K. All works great. However, I must be missing a step as I am unable to get the grey water to drain. I filled it 2/3 full, but very little comes out. I have followed the manual instructions to the "T". We bought it out of state. I have contacted my salesperson, and he is mifted too. Can someone help me with a new step to try?

Dora Explore is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-15-2016, 01:45 PM   #2
I'm not real familiar with the 27K. I have the 2008 Aspect 26A. The drains on mine are in the wet bay. The gray tank is on the right and the black is on the left. Both valves are visible in the bay. My tanks drain easily and fast. All one has to do is pull the valve and the tank drains.

First, be glad it is the gray tank. You either have a clog or the valve isn't working. A gray tank clog is unusual as anything that went into the tank had to get past some pretty small drains. A possibility is that the cutout for the tank was dropped into the tank when the unit was built. This would have been an issue for every owner prior to you but most likely it has moved when you filled it to block the tank exit.

More likely the drain valve is broken or stuck. Does it pull out as far as the black tank valve? If it does you will need to run a snake up the dump drain and see how far it goes. If it goes a ways in so the end is inside the tank and all of a sudden your tank drains, most likely you are back to the first scenario. And, it will plug up again unless the plug came out. If Winnebago cut the plug and left it in the tank, I'd be contacting them to get them to pay for the tank removal and repair. If the valve is stuck or broken, the cost is on you and is just one of the joys of RV ownership.

2008 Winnebago Aspect E450 26A. Oh, yeah, the wife and geriatric Beagle, Irwin, come along too.
OlYeller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2016, 02:03 PM   #3
OlYeller pretty well covered this one. One other thing you might try would be to open the valve and stick a hose into the drain with some rags wrapped around the hose to take up the extra space and turn the water on to do a backflush. Be sure the sink drains are open. Gray water drainage issues are seldom seen.
2002 Fleetwood Storm 30H on Workhorse P32 chassis 8.1 gas.
LETMGROW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2016, 02:35 PM   #4
Was thinking more about this, the cut out plug I was referring to is usually in the black tank as there isn't any large cut outs made into the gray tank. My guess is grease build up or the broken valve. Lynn's suggestion with a hose is a good one too. If you see a lot of grease come out when the plug is broken, you know the cause. Grease should never be dumped down the gray tank for this exact reason. Once draining well, I'd put copious amounts of Dawn dish detergent down the sink drain followed up with a lot of very hot water to clean the tank.

I'm still holding out hope that it just a stuck valve which is easily replaced. To reiterate, be very glad you are not dealing with black tank issues.
2008 Winnebago Aspect E450 26A. Oh, yeah, the wife and geriatric Beagle, Irwin, come along too.
Old 05-15-2016, 11:42 PM   #5
I had a Navion ( made by Winnebago ). The Navion used a pump to drain the grey tank. You may have the same setup. Look for a switch in the wet bay
rerrion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2016, 06:57 AM   #6
Winnebago Owners Club
We have a 2015 Aspect 27K. Are you pushing and holding the "drain pump" button in the back storage area until the grey tank is empty?
Steph, Art & the pugs-Jet & Ringo🐾
KrystalMoose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2016, 12:25 PM   #7
I learn something new everyday. I had never heard of a gray tank pump. Every RV I've owned just used gravity.
Old 05-20-2016, 08:31 PM   #8

Workhorse Chassis Owner
Forest River Owners Club
Grey water won't drain

I had a problem with our gray tank draining slowly on our Coachmen. It ended up being the plug from when the tank was drilled to install the drain connection was left in the tank and had ended up in the line at the valve. All it took was removing the four bolts holding the valve in place and removing the valve. The gray water washed the plug out and then I reinstalled the valve.

Hope your issue is just the drain switch mentioned above.
Big Dog House On Wheels
2013 Coachmen Freelander 28QB
on 2012 E4500 Chevrolet chassis
B D HOWie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2016, 08:59 PM   #9
Waste Water Drain Pump/Switch.....who would have thunk

According to Owners Manual (Winnebago does a good job with those)

Black Waste Drain Valve---located in drivers side compartment ahead of rear wheel
Grey Waste Drain Valve---located in drivers side compartment behind rear wheel
*****Waste Pump SWITCH-----located in water service center

Check out pg 69

Old-Biscuit is offline   Reply With Quote