RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class C Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 11-19-2019, 10:42 PM   #1

Ground inverter or not??

I feel like I've read all there is to read on this subject.

Simply, do I run a ground from my 1500 watt inverter and connect to chassis or not??

I've read where some people say no, due to open grounds being ok and grounding would actually make some kind of bad loop. Others saying it is wise to ground it in case of some kind of fault.

The inverter directions are vague and dont mention anything, but it does have the ground terminal on the inverter case.

My install is pretty common. But i did install it on a piece of wood. The A/C side will run into a transfer switch, then to the panel. The pos and neg will go directly to the batteries although a fuse will be on the pos side, and a shunt on the neg. I assume my batteries are grounded. I'll try to chase that negative wire tomorrow.

This is being installed on an Entegra Odyssee (jayco product basically).

Thanks all!

EJ_Clemson is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-20-2019, 02:51 AM   #2

The first inverter I purchased I blew because the switch over grounded the "neutral" on the inverter. I repaired it and discovered that the neutral on this inverter was not at 0 "zero" volts. So I purchased a pure sine wave inverter. It also had a neutral which was not at 0 "zero" volts. Therefore I wouldn't ground it. I added a heavy isolation transformer so I could ground the neutral.

spyderRV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2019, 05:28 AM   #3

On my victron, it states the case ground is for safety should a malfunction in the inverter create a hot skin condition on the inverter. Follow the manufacturer.
Ndrorder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2019, 07:08 AM   #4

A google serarch also suggested to me, grounding the inverter to the same ground (chassis, frame) as the battery(ies).
Winterbagoal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2019, 07:33 AM   #5

The inverter should be grounded to the chassis to prevent the case becoming energized in the event of a fault.
Old 11-20-2019, 05:37 PM   #6

What does the installation manual tell you?
1ciderdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2019, 07:14 PM   #7

I am going to bore everyone......

I have an electrical background... it is as an electrician and electrical field engineer.. i left those fields many moons ago,..

I have seen the generator and / or inverter instructions show the green or ground lug as "to earth ground" .. to me earth ground is a ground rod drivrn into the ground or a ground grid...a tru potentional ground..

2 links i found

one

two

one says thst the ground and nuetrel are together at a source.. not down source..

the other explains.. all grounds tied together BUT talks about sizing and amperge etc..

both mention potential .. this is the part that makes the differences...

in house wiring the grounds and methods have changed over the years under the electrical code,,

I remember all ggrounds and nuetrals under one bus bar,, all panels, then split out to devices... then we only bonded ground to nuetral in main first panel then maintained isolation to sub panels,, then we added earth grounds to subs, then we tied/bonded all earth grounds togeher to form a grid...

all this is a bout is when there is an oops... 2 things.. the ground will aide in tripping the circuit protection device.. it also is to protect some one as in prper grounding that is an opps happens the path to ground is high enough to take the load instead of it splashing to the human touching or close to the wire etc etc

With the DC batterys and hi amps a fault can toast a 12 guage 110v ground into a flame ball in seconds.. hence why caution is used with an inverter..
the inverter is mixing and matching 12vdc 1000 amp potentional into 110v 10amp , that 12vdc source dumps onto that 110v receptical ground on the same chassis... fire.... smoke oh my..

I had an inverter take a back surge. it popped both deepcells,, made a mess but no fire.. my batterys had both pos and neg wires of equal lenth.. run all the way to inverter and the charge wires also home runs to altenator isolater/enginr ground.

I was told by an oldtimer run pos and neg for dc ,, dont use chassis as neg for distances..

not sure if that helped in my issue but,, ????

I hate my minnie winnie as they have a 3ft 0 or 2 guage from batterys to chassis, then 2, 4 guage to isolaters and various branches like onan gennie etc.. 4 potential power draws one return..

I added a 2000 wat inv. i ran 2 direct wires to battery posts.

so to ground or not.......
sibe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2019, 07:18 PM   #8

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1ciderdog View Post
What does the installation manual tell you?

This, Do what the manufacturer recommends and nothing else. They know how is it designed to work. If you don't have the manual or it isn't clear call their tech support line.
https://wordpress.com/posts/enjoying-life.net
spdracr39 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2019, 05:38 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by spdracr39 View Post
This, Do what the manufacturer recommends and nothing else. They know how is it designed to work. If you don't have the manual or it isn't clear call their tech support line.
I agree BUT many manual show the Earth ground signal. say to earth ground or to ground, they also state "qualified technician etc..."

Most good inverters , high end, those $1600-2200 units that many coaches and rvs have are pretty straight forward in the wiring diagrams.. and tech info.. the oversea produced for USA sale are vague...

Always call the manufacturer for clarification during the install of unclear...

sibe is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
inverter