Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class C Motorhome Discussions
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2
Old 04-17-2011, 12:38 PM   #1
Fleetwood Owners Club
GulfStream BT Cruiser Reputation and Your Help!

Folks, greetings from a new forum user.

I'm joined with some friends who have been helping me research product for upcoming purchase of new to us MH's. We both are wanting to join your ranks, very GREEN at this, but looking at your expertise.

We found a pair of BT Cruiser's 5211/5230/5270 and had pretty much settled, we thought on 5230's, private and/or dealer units are available.

Then came my search for reviews/complaints, and the Paul Harvey rest of the story.

Throughout this forum there are many GS disucussions. Of note, the National BBB gave the GS Corp in Indiana a C- rating over shotty workmanship and refusing to honor warranties.

Here's the scoop and where I'd really appreciate your help.

2004 BT Cruiser's, model 5230, the Clint Eastwood Good, Bad, Ugly? Can you help us?

I know what they say about opinions 2 --but both sides would be helpful. We may just move onto another brand.

The models are low mileage 10-13K, say well maintained, GREAT/Excellent condition. But for some real owners out there, can you give us some advice -- from leaking issues (I hear a lot), to squeaking?, recalls?

Your help most appreciated and if the moderator thinks this is more appropriate in a BT forum, that is fine. I look forward to your responses.

ziprun is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-18-2011, 11:23 PM   #2
just bought a one owner 2004 model 5270 ,very nice unit , ford e-450
super-duty--all systems work perfectly--unit was maintained by prior
owner---only problem is over head squeaks--have not had time to
look into --but it seems to me , stopping the squeaking can be done.
has added air bags and steer safe--pretty quite on smooth--buying used is all about the prior owner---good luck

rendress is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2011, 11:35 PM   #3
I have a 2005 Trail Lite 213 which is very similar to the BT. The BT is what swayed us away from a Class B, because it had so much more room. We got a much better deal on the T/L. (we bought new). We liked the Chevy chassis better because the cab is much roomier and comfortable. We had problems that were fixed, by the dealer or me. The BT's had a run of a few years where the overhead compartment squeeked against the cab roof. They eventually came out with a redesign but I think there is a fix. Go to the 'BPLUS' forum at RV.NET and do some searching for details.
Chasboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2011, 06:50 PM   #4
Texas Boomers Club
Believe the reviews. Their quality control is awful

We have never met a Gulfstream owner, whether it was the guy with the 45' mega bus or the BT Cruiser who was happy with Gulfstream.

The friends who purchased a brand new BT cruiser complained it leaked like a sieve and it spent more time in the shop than on the road. They had a terrible time with the factory honoring the warranty.

The fellow with the mega bus had even gone to Indiana with it and spent two weeks in a motel while Gulfstream tried to fix all the problems it had. They never did get it right and he wound up suing them.

Those two friends had the worst troubles, but many others we've met had problems. Not one owner of a Gulfstream that we met was happy with it. They are pretty units, but the quality control process at the factory doesn't seem to exist.

Way-the-heck-south Texas
2011 Coachman Freelander 21QB
kelliepoodle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2011, 12:06 AM   #5
GS quality

Got a 2005 endura, quality been good. Met some folks recently in central texas with a fairly new BT and they cited very good luck, happy with their BT. Of course I do not know how they measure quality, just that they pleased. But they seemed very meticulous folks. Hope that helps.
Nutravlr is offline   Reply With Quote