Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class C Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 02-21-2008, 06:58 AM   #15

Location: Atlanta, GA. , South Beach, FL. Naples, Fl , Coral Gables,FL.
Chubbs , those are very nice.

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-21-2008, 08:30 AM   #16

We picked up our Super Nova a couple of weeks ago. Spent one night in it at the dealer who also owns a camp ground, and last weekend spent 2 nights and 3 days in it down in Raton New Mexico. We are absolutely thrilled with this rig. We have the 6331 which is 34 feet long. It drives very nice. Went up and down Raton Pass great. I am relieved to say that we have not had any of the serious problems a few others have had. I will admit it is a hassle to climb into the cab from the coach, so most of the time I enter thru the drivers door. I hope this report gives some of you who are trying to decide on a Gulfstream a bit more confidence it them. We couldn't be happier.

Old 02-21-2008, 12:58 PM   #17

Thanks everyone for your input. My husband has a bad leg and wll probably get a new hip and knee in the near future and I have arthritis in my knees, so we are trying to think ahead. It's a big investment so we are trying to think of everything.

Thanks again for all your help.
Old 02-21-2008, 05:23 PM   #18

Georunner, apparently you have the same rig as Texas TC which seems to be the pick of the litter with better wheelbase to length, etc. I had been leaning towards the 6732; but some others have had problems with that mdl. To date I have never seen anyone post with a 6400. Our main reason for favoring the 6732 is the availability of a washer and dryer.

To those of you who have the 6331 is there any way a washer dryer could be added?

I just got a new GS brochure on the SN and it looks better than before. Ken....
Old 03-07-2008, 07:32 PM   #19

I'm also looking at these rigs; one question isthis powered by the same 6.0L that was in the Ford pickups?
Thanks in advance. Tim
Old 03-08-2008, 07:03 AM   #20

"...one question is this powered by the same 6.0L that was in the Ford pickups?..."

My understanding is that it's the same block, but with Navistar's fuel delivery system originally intended for said engine, not the problematic Ford one.

One interesting tidbit, that engine is not listed on Navistar's Engine Website which leads me to believe they are just using up existing stock.

After recently getting the opportunity see a SN in person, I have to say I still like the idea, but am not that impressed with the execution, with both GS and IH sharing in the blame.

From the GS side, granted the floor plan was not the one I would have liked to have seen, the shower was too small and the access door too short (a stabilizing bar runs across the top) where I felt like I had to limbo to enter (and I'm only 5'10"). I believe it also only had the 74" queen bed. These two items by themselves turned me off from further inspecting things like overall fit and finish.

From the IH side, the engine is the wrong one for this truck. I feel that at a minimum, it should have the MaxxForce DT, or better yet the MaxxForce 9. The rear gears could then be changed to something more beneficial to fuel economy and noise reduction. Also, the location of the parking brake assembly makes access between the driver's seat and coach almost impossible except for maybe a circus sideshow contortionist.

Of course, this is just my opinion...
Old 03-08-2008, 08:01 AM   #21

Yep, like you said the 6.0L doesn't even show on IH's web site. I don't think I'll chance that,they'll have to change to another engine next model run.
Old 03-08-2008, 09:47 AM   #22

Winnebago Owners Club
My aunt just bought the 40 footer, ithas a 300 HP engine, My F-450 has a 250 hp engine, so I don't think it is the same turbo stroke engine. They do have many issues with the coach which they drove up from Fl. to NJ. It seems to have all the options but the heater quit, the genny has issues, the rear bedroom overhead cabinet door busted in half, tears in the upulsery, unfinished molding and pillow attatchments, apparantly had been used some where before purchising NEW. Dirty refrigorator and holding tanks, missing shelves on the freezer door. Very unstable rear ladder, paint discoloration, and I'm sure that I forgot a bunch of other stuff. They are taking it to Scott motor coach for some repairs, then they are suppost to take her back down to the selling dealer back in Florida for other repairs. Their PDI really sucks. I'd stay away from that model!
2001 32-V Suncruiser,Ford V-10, 310 HP, 4 Koni FSD's, KVH Tracvision,trickle charge, awning travel lock, 1 dinning room slide; no roof leaks, 03malibu toad sometimes, Blackhawk all terrain towbar, Roadmaster brake Pro,1 wife,1 westy, life is good!
bobpie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2008, 06:50 PM   #23

Bobpie, with all wrong that you described i think your aunt did not execute a good PDI. If I had seen 1/2 of those issues it would have been a cancelled deal. Personally, I do a total PDI done before any delivery paperwork is signed. I make this known immediately after initial introductions. If the dealer won't agree to this process we don't even look at their inventory. Think about it, would you buy a house, either used or new, without a walk thru BEFORE sitting down at the settlement table? Your aunt and any other buyer must remember that they have the most powerful negotiating tool known to man---THE WALLET. Ken,'04 DSDP...
Old 03-09-2008, 03:59 AM   #24

Winnebago Owners Club
You hit the nail on the head Ken. I think that they jumped the gun myself. The worse thing is that they had just purchased a used Tioga C class about a month before and this was there first trip in that unit. Also their first RV of any kind. They plan on full timing in their Gulf Stream unit, which is nice. I think that they just didn't do much thinking about the deal. We'll they have appointments at Scott motor coach and possibly back at the dealer in Fla. Now comes the fun part. I'm sure they will make out good once everything is fixed.
2001 32-V Suncruiser,Ford V-10, 310 HP, 4 Koni FSD's, KVH Tracvision,trickle charge, awning travel lock, 1 dinning room slide; no roof leaks, 03malibu toad sometimes, Blackhawk all terrain towbar, Roadmaster brake Pro,1 wife,1 westy, life is good!
Old 03-09-2008, 09:43 AM   #25

Winnebago Owners Club
Many many years ago when I was in college, I learned the only Latin phrase that I can still remember which taught me a life's lesson that I try to never forget. "Caveat Emptor" which means "let the buyer beware". I think that applies in this case. Having said that, if they work with GS and the appropriate dealer, all issues should be resolved and they should have a coach they can enjoy for years to come. It is just ashamed they did not check the condition of the coach better when they picked it up so they don't have to go through all those issues after purchase. My PDI was rather quick, but, I had ordered the coach and had to leave that night on a planned trip. We made a note of a few issues and they were all repaired upon the return from my trip. I have had several issues since and GS and my dealer have been great about completing all repairs and even making changes to the coach I have requested. I absolutely love my 6331 model SuperNova as Ken can attest to since we have had numerous email conversations. I hope your relatives get the deficiencies repaired and enjoy theirs. I am approaching 16000 miles since last May and all have been miles of smiles. Good Luck.
Old 03-10-2008, 05:35 AM   #26
SMC

Yes, a good PDI can help avoid some of the problems. But unfortunately you don't catch it all. We are seasoned RV'ers, bought many rigs so gave the SN a thorough PDI. But many of the problems didn't show up until we were on the way home. We saw some and had them noted at the dealer which is 1600 miles from home.

I won't go into all the issues we had, many have been noted on this group and the Gulf Stream forum. But after 6 months we threw in the towel. It had so many poor quality problems that after a time it just isn't worth trying to rebuilt it. Other than one guy, there was no support from GS and to get the major problems fixed we would have to drive over 1000 miles to a repair service to get them fixed or go back to our selling dealer which was further away. GS would not make us an appt. at the factory to get it fixed.

So in our case we might as well have not even bothered with a PDI. We even stayed at a local park near our selling dealer for a couple of days checking things out and the major problems didn't show up until we had jiggled it on down the road. And once home and we got to doing some of the rebuilding ourselves did we find more major problems.

Good luck with the repairs and coach. Not all Super Nova's are bad, but if you get one that isn't too good, it seems to have every problem possible.

'06 Torrey Pines
SMC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2008, 04:25 PM   #27

We bought a SuperNova at the end of last year (October).
We bought from an out of state dealer...they delivered the unit and picked up my 05 Endura as a trade in.
This unit came with every option available at the time for this model.

Plastic air intake trim piece on hood missing.

Bolt for front bumper missing.

Passenger step at gas tank missing lag screw to secure it.

Engine heater plug at driver door does not open. The flap does not clear the step over the gas tank. (not a big deal in Arizona, so no action taken on this item yet)

One leveling jack motor was in-op at delivery, so none of them worked until it was replaced.

Optional power inverter in-op at delivery.

DVD player in-op at delivery.

Power awning keeps blowing the 5 amp fuse, still have not figured that one out yet.

The locks on both TV's are a joke. No matter how tight they are or how you adjust them, a long trip always lets them loose for the TV's to flap open. A simple arcadia door lock pin from Home Depot, drilled into the cabinet below keeps them where they need to be.

Shower floor had no support at the front, under the drain. Expandable foam in that area helped.

Bathroom fan is the normal cheap loud one in every RV...wish they offerd an upgrade vent in that area like they do the kitchen!

They never put any towel bars or hooks in these things? I installed about a 8 hooks/bars in areas you would think obvious, like the BATHROOM.

Love the shower but the door has an issue with 2 of the plastic rollers at the top...they keep detaching themselves off the pins.

Built in vacuum under the table bench seat was nice to see, normally something we have to add ourselves.

We towed a 24 foot box trailer recently to Mexico and back and got 6.7 mpg. The trailer weighs about 9000, with 900 tongue weight. I expect gas mileage will improve with a few more miles on the engine. (less than 4000 miles on unit, since it has sat most of the time waiting on repairs, since we got it)

I would like to see more specific literature for the coach and it's operations, rather than the standard blue covered pamphlet they put in every RV.
Old 05-01-2008, 04:02 PM   #28

Winnebago Owners Club
and the verdict is in?