Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class C Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 04-21-2013, 06:55 PM   #15

Forest River Owners Club
I've pretty well gotten used to our 32 footer, but the two biggest drawbacks are the ocean-liner turning radius and the extreme vagueness of the steering. The former is what it is - though I'd hope that newer ones have gotten better. The latter I've tried to address with new parts / alignment / etc., but haven't cured it completely.
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-22-2013, 06:28 AM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steverino View Post
I've pretty well gotten used to our 32 footer, but the two biggest drawbacks are the ocean-liner turning radius and the extreme vagueness of the steering. The former is what it is - though I'd hope that newer ones have gotten better. The latter I've tried to address with new parts / alignment / etc., but haven't cured it completely.
I believe the front end is unchanged. My 24 ft C was a major pain in the handling department. It was on a 2011 E350 chassis and since it was a bargain priced rig, did not have any of the handling aids that come on many of the better units. It was also not aligned properly. Finding a shop that knows how to get a HD Ford front end aligned makes all the difference in the world. My current rig is on an E450 chassis and has thicker sway bars, a rear sway bar and air bags. The hardware helped but getting the front end aligned for over the road driving made the biggest difference. It is stable in the wind (minor corrections required) and tracks straight as an arrow down the road. It won't turn as quickly around town but since it's a motor home and not a Porsche I'll accept the added effort required for slow speed turns
HappyGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2013, 09:31 AM   #17

Handling Characteristics

I found that there was a lot of play in the steering, like Happy Guy says, "it's not a Porsche" so it took a bit to get used to that. I'm good with it now, hardly even notice it. Having a 32 foot rig, the extra 10 feet rear of the axle can be a bit tricky as well. There again, I didn't have any problem adapting to that either. I just Love getting behind the wheel and leaving on a long haul, which is what Susan and I are doing this saturday on our way to the Florida Keys.
ralphie123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2013, 09:33 AM   #18

If you are having handling issues with a E350 or E450 you might study up on +caster. Here is a thread that tells my story.

E350/E450 Handling Problems are caused by too little + CASTER
Harvard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2013, 10:00 AM   #19

Forest River Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Harvard View Post
If you are having handling issues with a E350 or E450 you might study up on +caster. Here is a thread that tells my story.

E350/E450 Handling Problems are caused by too little + CASTER
Hi Harvard,

Funny you should check in here - with the camping season fast approaching, I've been doing some more reading online and ran across your helpful posts. That made me look back to my alignment report from last summer. The truck shop did install camber/caster sleeves (I've not had time to look & see what brand) and it appears that the caster on both sides is now around +4. I want to see if I can get any more caster dialed in though. I'm on my way this evening to weigh the rig (axles, and corners if I can) so that I can confirm my tire pressures. If all that fails, I want to reconfirm that my steering box isn't worn out (the shop supposedly tightened it). I guess after that it's new hardware (steer safe, swaybars, urethane bushings, etc.)

Ideas always welcome, of course. Also happy to take this off-thread, don't want to hijack the OP's topic.

Thanks!
Old 04-30-2013, 01:16 AM   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ted S. View Post
Considering a bunkhouse Class C at about 32'. I originally wanted something around 27-29' but considering I have a family of 5 traveling I think I need to go a bit bigger to keep them happy.

I am concerned I will end up with a rig harder to handle and get around in. I'll be doing a lot of driving I would like something that handles well. We want to stay in National Parks and I don't want a toad.

Any insight would be appreciated.
You may not want to go over 28 feet or you could well run into CGs where your rig wont fit. Many older places simply don't have the length of sites for such long rigs. At 32' you would almost need a pull-through site. Rather than length, how about a slide-out for more space? Depending on the layout they can make a big difference.
Old 05-31-2013, 01:23 PM   #21

Freightliner Owners Club
Entegra Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
Quote:
Originally Posted by ralphb View Post
The only thing that you have to remember is that you have about a 10ft swing at the back so you can't tighten your turns at all. We love our rig and there are only 2 of us. Off to the keys in 2 weeks. Can't wait!
I can vouch for this LOL. I have a 2013 Coachmen Concord 301SS and I forgot about the extra length as I was trying to dodge cars after getting gas. I ended up smacking the left rear on a concrete barrier next to the pumps. I was so upset as it is still new. Just remember that extra length on the back and you will be fine.
toyzforme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2013, 04:33 PM   #22

Ford Super Duty Owner
Send a message via Yahoo to Davinger
I have a 32" Jayco Greyhawk Class C. It rides on an E-450 Chassis. Remember it won't handle like a Ferrari and its acceleration is 0 to 60 in 3 attempts. Having said that I too have a family of 5 and the bunk house has been a wonderful thing. My layout is awesome and I chose Jayco because they have a standard 2 year warranty where the others have only 1 and Jayco warranties their cabinets for life. If you do buy new they now offer a 7 year coach warranty I strongly suggest you get it.
Davinger is offline   Reply With Quote