Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class C Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 06-17-2012, 07:16 AM   #1

Handling issue in the wind.

Just got back from a trip to Fl from VA. I weighed it at a CAT scale on the trip down.
One thing I noticed is I do not have the Ford recommended 32% of the total weight on the front axle. I have about 30% and should have another 248 lbs on the front axle. Would that make a big difference in handling? It was super windy (15-25 mph) going south and coming back north and I was having to wrestle the steering more than normal. I know the wind has a lot to do with it but I felt the handling was off regardless.
I do have a trac bar, bilsteins and dialed in the tire pressures about 5psi higher than the chart. Any thoughts?
I did notice that by bushings (top and bottom) on my rear sway bar end links where it meets the bar are squished down to maybe a 1/4 in towards the front and normal at the rear. I have been thinking about upgrading the front and rear sway bars. I am wondering if those squished bushings are causing too much play?

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-17-2012, 08:38 AM   #2

Texas Boomers Club
Exactly what is it you're driving?

GoodTimes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2012, 12:10 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoodTimes View Post
Exactly what is it you're driving?
2006 27' Lazy Daze Class C on an E450 Chassis.
Old 06-19-2012, 05:44 PM   #4

wind

i went thru this same thing i found that i had too much air in my tires and air bags as a newbie i aired my tires to max and topped my air bags up i found running 65 psi in my tires instead of 80 psi and letting the air bags just have enough air to level the rear and this is different from one side to the other.
with this set up we took it on a thousand mile trip and the handling was much better, to stiff was causing me grief it handled wind and big rigs flying past without nearly as much drama. it is a e350 based 26 foot class c and we were towing our hhr. just what worked for me i'm still learning every trip out about something to make life easier and safer
Old 06-19-2012, 07:18 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by pwf16129 View Post
i went thru this same thing i found that i had too much air in my tires and air bags as a newbie i aired my tires to max and topped my air bags up i found running 65 psi in my tires instead of 80 psi and letting the air bags just have enough air to level the rear and this is different from one side to the other.
with this set up we took it on a thousand mile trip and the handling was much better, to stiff was causing me grief it handled wind and big rigs flying past without nearly as much drama. it is a e350 based 26 foot class c and we were towing our hhr. just what worked for me i'm still learning every trip out about something to make life easier and safer
Thanks. For some reason I decided when I read the tire chart that 50 psi for the front seemed off. My owners manual and the Mich tire chart state that for 3880 lbs on the front axle the PSI should be 50. When I was weighed I was at 3780 for the front axle. So I left the front at 60 and the rears at 70 for the trip. Per the chart I was 10 psi high for the front and dead on for the rears at 70 psi. I guess I should have just trusted the chart and ran 50 psi up front and maybe would have been fine. Would 10 psi make that much difference?
Old 06-19-2012, 11:59 PM   #6

Fleetwood Owners Club
So that whole "Road Manners" section on the Lazy Daze web site is pretty much propaganda. Ten pound air pressure in the tires can make a big difference. Wind, however, will still be noticable when driving.
Old 06-20-2012, 07:20 AM   #7

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Two comments:

First on tire pressure. There are two pressures that many like to use which are almost always WRONG: The sticker inside the coach shows one of them, the sidewall of the tire the other, The only way to be sure you have the right pressure is to scale the thing and look up the proper pressure for that wheel based on it's load, NOTE: you have 4 wheels, you may well have 4 pressures.

Second: IF the wind is giving you "Concern".. PARK IT, till the wind dies down.
Old 06-21-2012, 05:05 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by milasman
So that whole "Road Manners" section on the Lazy Daze web site is pretty much propaganda. Ten pound air pressure in the tires can make a big difference. Wind, however, will still be noticable when driving.
I will also add this is our first Motorhome and first trip in windy conditions. When the wind is normal I can drive the rig with one hand no problem even with trucks zipping by. I guess I just need more wheel time and better tire pressures.
Old 06-21-2012, 07:14 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by milasman View Post
So that whole "Road Manners" section on the Lazy Daze web site is pretty much propaganda.
I will also say that there are some LD owners that think the LD is the second coming of you know who. I am not. Is it built solid....yes. Is the exterior easy to maintain and look goods with little effort...yes. Does the paint scheme and inside design/style a love it or hate it...yes. It will still has the same issues over time we all have with the parts/components all makers use.
We just happened on an amazing deal on this rig from the original owners and took the plunge. Personally I think they all likely handle the same and it is user error when they don't....me being one of those users. I think if i get the tire PSI dead on, get some stuff moved around better and more time behind the wheel it will be much better. I really need to replace those sway bar bushings and see what that does....or just go with a new Helwig bar.
Heck...I bought the thing in TX and drove it 1500 miles home with one hand on the wheel. Oddly enough no wind or poor weather the whole trip home. This last trip to FL was a mess with wind and some rain. Maybe I was expecting too much in the handling in all kinds of weather.
Old 06-29-2012, 07:25 PM   #10

May as well throw in my 2 cents here. Just got back from a 6k mile trip. significant wind (warnings in SD with 35+ gusts) for much of the trip. Have a little 21' class C but still subject to wind issues.
So here are my impressions/ideas:
Tire pressure is a huge factor. When first purchased this MH replaced all tires, shop set pressure to maximum at 80 psi. MH was all over the road, over steer a real problem. Weighed and set pressures to 65 front, 60 on back, over steer was gone. Wind and truck pass still a concern so...
Added a steering stabilizer (steer safe in this case) which alleviated most of the wind and passing issue. Of course along with this travel with empty grey and black water tanks and just enough fresh water to get where I'm going (keep weight off the back to prevent lifting the front - all my tanks are behind the rear wheels).
So now the wife can drive it at 70 with a side wind (just can't get her to slow down!) all day long. Her driving still scares the "stuff" out of me, but we always get there with no incidents!
Old 06-29-2012, 09:12 PM   #11

Forest River Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
just got back from a 2.5 k trip mtns, Fl, SC ,Ga wgt around 13800 rear air bags(R 70 L 55) tp 80 rear 65 fnt frt stablizer no problem handling at all 1 hand dr most of time. We have to remember we are moving a house behind u, so will gat a little suck& push when semi goes by, i just watch out mirror so no surprize.
Love my set -up as i see on here abt a lot of handling trouble, also have sway bar s frt & rear no track bar

Santara is offline   Reply With Quote