Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class C Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 03-06-2014, 09:28 PM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by Santara View Post
my ? is why is a brand new MH so close on weights with no ccc at all. That just doesn't make sence. It is the Viper right?
Almost all RVs run close to the weight limit. They do that for a softer ride, otherwise you would have a rough ride and complain to the manufacturer that they built a crapy feeling coach. Not a great thing for Toy Haulers because it is easy to go over weight.

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-06-2014, 09:44 PM   #16

Forest River Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
i know of what u say but still no carrying capacity no food, tools ,junk even mine said 2K ccc which is a 98 no slides . had mine weighed on state scale last dec loaded for trip not over on tires but little on r axle frt 4600 rear 9700 full gas no B or G 20fresh 1/2 lp

Santara is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2014, 09:47 PM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by Santara View Post
i know of what u say but still no carrying capacity no food, tools ,junk even mine said 2K ccc which is a 98 no slides . had mine weighed on state scale last dec loaded for trip not over on tires but little on r axle frt 4600 rear 9700 full gas no B or G 20fresh 1/2 lp
sorry I miss read that, Yes tires are strange to be over. But in the post, the poster has added springs to add GVW and required tires that would handle the load he would be adding.
Old 03-07-2014, 11:15 AM   #18

Workhorse Chassis Owner
Santara--The rear axle weight is with it "packed" for a weekend trip. A few clothes, a little food, dishes etc, a full gas tank, 10gal of fresh water, empty dump tanks. After 100 miles I'm probably not overweight anymore. The only things in the basements were a few tools in the front one, a sewer hose in the rear basement and a fresh water hose, and a Roadmaster All Terrain tow bar--all steel and heavy. As mentioned previously--I have a spare tire mounted just in front of the hitch, and Big Foot levelers mounted in back of the rear axle. Kinda like levers--adding something to the rear is multiplying the weight of that on the axle since it is a long overhang, and lifting it off the front axle. So adding water to the fresh water tank--which is under the bed in the rear slideout, adds a lot more than just weight of the water--maybe 10lbs/gal.

If I were to go on a longer trip before I get new tires--I would remove the spare tire and put it in the towed. I would not put any water in the tank and only carry a gallon jug. Anything other than light clothes would go up front.

There is no question Nexus builds a heavy steel rig--I knew that. It's solid and very nice driving. I did not have window awnings added and i did not order a 2nd house battery--even tho that's what they always install and it's what I got--because of the weight. I've read previous posts about new class C's being overweight on the rear axle--iow, I was prepared for this. The Jayco Melbourne comes with Hellwig helper springs--I don't know which model, and the Forest River Lexington comes with Firestone Air Bags. I don't know what Coach House & Phoenix Cruiser uses--if anything. Both Jayco & Forest River understand the importance of supporting the rear weight and raising the rear end. But that's all it does--it in no way increases the weight rating of the rear axle & tires--they just raise the rear "bumper" a few inches. So the rig looks ok--the rear isn't sagging--so owners may not realize they have a problem and get it weighed.

Ron
rondi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2014, 10:54 PM   #19

Forest River Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
sounds just like mine spare under ahead of hitch, have FS airbags, FW under rear bed,w/ Gas right next to axle, G&B behind that.No tow or levelers. your right abt nice handling mine is so sweet on hwy do to the weight. Been nice yacking at u, have fun & clear road ahead Rick
Santara is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2014, 12:03 PM   #20

Workhorse Chassis Owner
I'm the OP. Yesterday I had the Hankook F19 7.50R16LT Load Range G (14 ply rating) Commercial Light Truck tires installed. There was a question on our rig whether there would be enough clearance, but while close--no problem. The dia of the stock LTX MS/2 is 29.2" vs the F19 is 33.2". The rig looks better with the slightly bigger tires.

With the LTX my speedo read 62mph when my GPS said 60. With the F19 my speedo reads 60 when my GPS says 64mph, and at 40mph both the speedo & GPS agree.

With just the 65 mile drive back from the tire store---the new tires were smoother and just as quiet. The rears have 85psi (2540 lbs/dual tire) and the fronts have 70psi. In 2 weeks we'll be loading the rig up for a 2 week vacation to the OR Coast--so I'll weigh on the way there. I was planning to get a rear track bar installed along with Koni FSD shocks--but I'm not sure I'll need them with these tires. We have lots of tire grooves in our roads caused mostly by 18 wheelers, and these tires seem to track better than the LTX's---with my limited driving. Wind & 18 wheelers passing have not been observed.

The only thing that needs to be fixed is the spare tire carrier. It has a plate to keep the tire from moving forward, held in place by by a 1" sq tube. That tube needs to be increased by 2" for the tire to fit, so I need to take the bolt-on carrier down and have the tube length increased.

I took a bath on the trade-in of the original tires--given the spare had never been used and the other 6 only had 4400 miles. If anyone is interested--Walmart sells these:
Hankook F19 Tire - Walmart.com just check your clearances for the increased radius of 2". Width is not an issue--my duals now have more space between them than the stock tires did, perhaps because at 80psi, they still had quite a bulge close to the ground.

I still have a very minor concern regarding the max psi spec of the stock wheel. Ford will not provide me with a max psi spec and it's not stamped on the wheel, but I assume it is 80psi max. Everyone I have talked to--parts guy at Ford, service manager at Ford, Coach-Net tech, my tire guy said--at 85-90psi, cold psi I'll be ok. They have never heard of a wheel going bad because of 10% or so overinflation.

Thanks to all who have posted their opinions of this tire,
Ron
Old 03-23-2014, 11:13 PM   #21

Thanks for the follow up. Sounds like it was a great upgrade. Have a fun safe trip on the West Coast.
Old 03-25-2014, 01:04 PM   #22

Winnebago Owners Club
Coastal Campers
Had a new class "B" that came with the Hankook's they were a sore subject for ride and stability for us and many other in our club. Many of the other "B" owners were having problems as well and getting rid of them for the Michelins and most all agreed they felt an instant smoother more stabile ride with the Michelins.
carolp495 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2014, 08:15 PM   #23
sca

Where's the pics of the new taller shoes!
Old 04-01-2014, 03:35 PM   #24

Workhorse Chassis Owner
Taller shoes for you. The rears are at 85psi, and the fronts at 75psi.
Ron
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Tire, front.jpg
Views:	44
Size:	199.0 KB
ID:	59690   Click image for larger version

Name:	Tire, rear.jpg
Views:	40
Size:	216.0 KB
ID:	59691  

Old 04-23-2014, 10:55 AM   #25

Workhorse Chassis Owner
a last update. After our 2 week trip to the Oregon coast we are very happy with the Hankooks. We drove on Interstates, OR-22 all the way to US101 (we won't take the short cut again), up the windy, hilly 101 and the rig handled nicely. These tires take the bumps a lot smoother than the LTX's, perhaps because the LTX were at max psi and these are mid range. I was going to get Koni FSD shocks installed, but now I'll wait until the stock shocks need replacing to get them.

While towing the Ranger we did experience more "tail wagging the dog" than without towing. So while in Vancouver, WA I drove up to Brazels and had them install a rear track bar. That improved things a lot and my wife is now comfortable driving while towing. She was comfortable with just driving the Viper before the track bar--so now she is a happy camper.

Ron