Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class C Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 03-05-2014, 04:54 PM   #1

Workhorse Chassis Owner
Hankook F19 7.50R16LT/14 tire help please

My tire dealer thinks the subject tire is a pretty good choice for a higher load range tire on our rig. The specs look like it will fit just fine, ex the speedo will need to be recalibrated.

These are classified as a commercial light truck tire, 14ply, LR-G.

Has anyone installed these on their Class C, and what is your experience?

tia, Ron

rondi is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-05-2014, 05:27 PM   #2

14ply should do the job, but what was the spec of the tire on the rig before? I think I had the exact tire on my Class C FunMover 31C. There should be no speedo recalibration if the tire is the same over all diameter as the tires you had on the rig. Changing the tire overall diameter will change the power of the coach as well depending on how much larger or smaller. You really shouldn't require a larger tire than was on there. At any rate the subject line tires are good tires. By buddy a tire distributor, and he always has me using Hankooks. They are on my car and FunMover.

If you have the info of what tires you are replacing, I can get better info for you.

Old 03-05-2014, 05:59 PM   #3

Maybe a little off topic but I drove a school bus for a while and the entire fleet came with Hankook tires from the factory. Every bus had to have these tires replaced for various reasons from knots on the tires to out of round tires etc. just for your info
Old 03-05-2014, 06:01 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by gthunts View Post
Maybe a little off topic but I drove a school bus for a while and the entire fleet came with Hankook tires from the factory. Every bus had to have these tires replaced for various reasons from knots on the tires to out of round tires etc. just for your info
Sounds like these buses were not taken care of very well. Out of round is something that happens to all tires from sitting with weight on them. That is why if you put your coach in storage, you should consider blocking up the axels.
Old 03-05-2014, 06:19 PM   #5

Workhorse Chassis Owner
Thanks for the reply. The 2013 E450 stock tires are Michelin LTX m/s2 LT225/75R16 LR-E. I need more load carrying capacity on the rear axle. I've just had 2 leaves on each side added to the spring pack. The LTX are speced for 2470 lbs each on a dually, and the Hankooks are speced for 3175. The Hankooks are a bit narrower than the LTX too. As mentioned previously--I most likely will be able to reduce my PSI and make for a softer ride compared to the the 80psi LTX's. The Hankooks are 31.9" dia, the LTX are 29.4" that's most likely at full psi, but even so there will be quite a difference in mph. I "downsized" to the Hankooks from the Michelin 17.5" tires--both commercial rated light truck tires--for which I would need 7 new wheels and 4 liners--in addition to the tires!

Yes I understand about the hill climbing and acceleration will be reduced a little, and i'll have to get the speedo recalibrated. I'll gain a lot of piece of mind tho.

Thanks for the help,
Ron
Old 03-05-2014, 06:24 PM   #6

Ok that makes more sense. I took you post as you were looking to replace the tires as they were worn. In the past I have had to increase load capacity, and found the air bag suspension to be a great way to go. You get a much higher load capacity and a good ride loaded or unloaded. Sounds too late for that though. At any rate, I have used Hankook's for a while now and can say anything bad about them.
Old 03-05-2014, 06:41 PM   #7

Workhorse Chassis Owner
Yea but air bags, helper springs or as I did--extra leaves--don't do a thing to increase the tire capacity--they just level the out the rig. my rear axle weighed 9960 on a Flying J Cat scale with nothing in the grey or black tank, about 10 gal of fresh water, nothing in the rear basements ex a sewer hose and a fresh water hose--not in the same basement We had a weekend worth of clothes.

That's why I want a higher capacity tire. 4 times 2470 is 9880--so I'm currently 80 lbs overweight on the tires. Yes I know the rear axle is only rated for 9600lbs--but imho the tires are the weak link--but soon it will be something else and it may be the axle.

The 3 tanks are in back of rear axle, as are the rear levelers and the spare tire is hung just in front of the receiver. The further back stuff is, the more weight it puts on the rear axle--that lever thing. The only thing I could move is the spare tire--into the back of the towed.

Ron
Old 03-05-2014, 06:49 PM   #8

Yes I agree. I used stock tires on one hauler I had and blew the front tires out braking hard in a hot rough road. I always try to go higher on the ply if I am running close to the weight limit. Could you not find the same size tire in a higher ply though? Sorry I am reading this stuff on my iPhone and I tend to reply quickly. I hope I answered your question though. I took it to be about any bad experiences or good people have had with the model you listed, correct?
Old 03-05-2014, 06:54 PM   #9

Workhorse Chassis Owner
Yea we got off the subject a bit. I REALLY was hoping someone would have these installed--but even info on any brand 7.50R16LT LR-G would be nice.

I have looked for 16" higher rated LR tires and there are none--that I found. the LT235/75R16 is capable of higher weights, but still a LR-E but I don't have enough dual tire spacing to use them.

Thanks for your quick replies,
Ron
Old 03-05-2014, 06:57 PM   #10

I will ask my buddy about them. He sells them all over North America. All tire not just hankook. I will get back to you. I have no experience with that exact model on any of my haulers, but I have used smaller sizes on my 31C class and on a cube van.
Old 03-05-2014, 07:18 PM   #11

Ok, my distributor buddy says they have carried Hankooks for 6 years and have heard of no issues and do not see much for returns. The issues any tires can have with knots or flat sides are; knots or delaminating comes from running the wrong tire for the weight. Wrong ply that is and too light of a ply for the load. Going heavier ply is always safer, but can make a rougher ride. Running too little air of course can wear the tires quicker. The square spot is of course from sitting too long under load. He also said to be sure the tire bulge of the dually has enough room to flex without rubbing if this is not the stock tire.

Last, apparently this is or is close to the tire I am running on my Class C hauler. Sorry, I did not know this. They ride well for me with my load of gear and full load. I don't really drive with a light load. Also one point I learned the hard way, be sure to set everything up how you normally travel, then get a wheel alinement with the load.

I hope that helps.
Old 03-05-2014, 08:44 PM   #12
sca

How much weight was on your front axle?

This has me nervous as your rig is just slightly smaller all around compared to mine. Yours:
96" wide
208" wheel base
30' 5" long
10' 4" high

Mine:
101" wide
220" wheel base
32'3" long
11'3" high
Old 03-06-2014, 11:17 AM   #13

Workhorse Chassis Owner
sca, my front axle is rated at 5000lbs and weighs 3800lbs--with NO people or dogs in the rig, but packed for a weekend outing. Gotta add 400lbs to the front weight for my wife & I and 2 dogs.

sizzler, thanks much for the info--see below. I think RV's always run at close fully loaded, even if nothing in them. The "cargo" doesn't add that much relative weigh.

I just got an email from Hankook with load/psi table. At 80psi the dually load rating is the same as Michelin LTX--what is now on my rig. To get to a comfortable load rating increase i'd have to go to 85 or maybe even 90 cold psi. I've searched for the max rating on the wheel and it is not stamped on the wheel. The only thing that makes any sense is T DOT F977A, which yields nothing meaningful from a Google search.

My local Ford parts guy looked for specs on this size wheel and could find nothing, but he felt--since the max tire psi is 80psi, the wheel is probably the same--iow made for a Load Range E tire.

So I gotta call the tire guy and probably cancel this order. If i gotta buy new wheels, I'll probably go with the 17.5 wheels and Michelin XZE2 which has a 80psi load rating of ll800lbs for the axle--2950/tire and is 30.5" dia, vs the Hankook of 31.9".
Michelin Americas Truck Tires XZE®2 Page

Ron
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	F19 psi vs load.jpg
Views:	142
Size:	63.3 KB
ID:	57629  
Old 03-06-2014, 09:04 PM   #14

Forest River Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
my ? is why is a brand new MH so close on weights with no ccc at all. That just doesn't make sence. It is the Viper right?

Santara is offline   Reply With Quote