Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class C Motorhome Discussions
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2
Old 02-15-2014, 07:53 PM   #1
Has anyone installed a 2nd A/C in their Class C?

So has anyone installed a 2nd A/C in the Class C? I have been debating it for next season. I heard you could - heard that you would place in the back where you fresh air vent is at. So for those that did it, how did it work out of for you? Did you convert to 50 amp or just a second power source(20 amp or another 30amp)?

Most of our time is spent down here on the Texas gulf coast. High humidity and 90 degree days are the norm in the summer time.

Right just now contemplating this. Depending on the feedback I may abandon the idea.

Thanks for any ideas you guys have.

Mickey Alberto
2016 Georgetown XL 350TS
Sour Lake, Texas
cmalberto is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-16-2014, 08:54 AM   #2
I think the big obstacle you'd run into doing this would be electrical capacity, or rather the lack of it.

An A/C unit on high is pulling nearly the full capacity of a 15 amp circuit, two would then take the full 30 amp service just running them.

That would require a re wiring of the coach, including running a dedicated 15 amp circuit up to the second roof vent you want to use.

You might want to look into just adding a portable unit first. They're not overly efficient but they're better than nothing and could be run off an existing outlet or extension cord straight to the pedestal depending on the size of unit.

Ted 'n' Laurie, plus Jackson (aka Deputy Dog, the Parson Russell Terrier 'fur kid') and, Rylie (who crossed the Rainbow Bridge June 14, 2012).
Murf2u is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2014, 09:19 AM   #3
Originally Posted by Murf2u View Post
You might want to look into just adding a portable unit first. They're not overly efficient but they're better than nothing and could be run off an existing outlet or extension cord straight to the pedestal depending on the size of unit.
We have 4 portable units 110v (old brick house). Using my watt meters, really have good to equal are others. 3-in-1 Portable Room Air Conditioner/Dehumidifier/Fan. Bought our first one from QVC others from Costco. Should be easy to add a window duct. We also have old windows, crack out. Took plex glass, cut to window open size, cut out vent tube opening. Velcro to hold in place and Dremel works great for cutting. Our most recent unit, if I had it in our 32' C, I would have to leave our roof unit off. BURRRR
maxtgam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2014, 09:34 AM   #4
Tiffin Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
I'm like you - been thinking about it. I was thinking of pulling out the gas/electric frig and installing a small electric dorm style refrig and a small window AC in it's place (and still room for a locker above that). ventilation may require a fan to move air behind these units (pull air in the refrig air intake and up to exhaust on roof). If I have refrig problems I'll probably do this.
P.S. I have a 30 amp unit. A Modern window AC will draw a lot less current than my roof mounted Coleman (which uses a little over 15 Amps on high).
Tom and Amy from Northern Virginia.
2000 Allegro 454/Workhorse P32/TST/Crossfire
Life is a DIY project - enjoy it.
tomwalt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2014, 09:36 PM   #5
I saw one a while back that had a rear AC installed. When they installed the unit, they wired a short 110v plug to the ceiling unit. When they parked, they ran an extension cord out thru the slide-out and plugged it directly to the park power. Plug the other end into the AC ceiling unit.

Every thing works just fine. No one says that it meets anybody's code (electrical or otherwise), but it cools great.

Use a good 10 gauge cord....

Happy travels,
Texas Vet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2014, 06:36 PM   #6
I can't imagine the one rooftop A/C unit on a class C (you didn't state the length, or maybe I just missed it) can't cool the RV in Texas. I live here in Central Florida, and even when camping in South Florida, in the summer, with average temps in the high 90's, with almost 100% humidity, I've never had a problem keeping my 30' MH cool and comfortable.

Even my other half, who is always hot, is comfortable in the MH. Maybe I have built up more of a tolerance for the Florida heat and humidity in the 12 years I've lived here, but the thought of adding a second rooftop A/C unit never crossed my mind.
rebelsun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2014, 07:34 PM   #7
Before adding second unit I would check existing a/c to make sure it is working properly. That said I added a second a/c to our class a last year not because our couldn't cool the MH but it is so loud you can't even carry on a conversation or watch tv. It's not extremely hard to do except for getting a 100 lb plus unit on top oh mh. When you remove the vent you will need to reinforce the sides of the hole with strips of wood or your roof will bend downward and water will pond around the a/c unit and cause it to leak. Our coach is. Thirty amp so I wired the a/c so it can be plugged into a separate twenty amp circuit on the power pedestal. We only run it when we want quite up front it works great. Never have needed to run both at the same time but could if needed.
Suggest you find some place with a fork lift to place it on the roof it would be cheaper than paying your deductible if you get hurt.
Good luck

Elf111 is offline   Reply With Quote

class c, install