Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class C Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 10-19-2013, 03:26 PM   #1

Workhorse Chassis Owner
Forest River Owners Club
Headed north to colder weather

We are new (5 months) to RVing. Son is coming in from Germany and going to be at Wright Patterson for a few weeks. We plan to head north from Florida. What do we need to know so that we do not freeze any lines and camp safely? Staying in Florida is not an option. lol
Looks like we will see if Frontier CG has an open site.
Thanks for your help.
Paul
2013 Coachman Freelander 28QB
E4500 Chevy - Workhorse

B D HOWie is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-19-2013, 03:50 PM   #2
Community Moderator

Nor'easters Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
iRV2 No Limits Club
Make sure you have a full tank of LP gas and use furnace to keep holding tanks and plumbing safe from cold.
Its not that cold yet so should be sufficient.
Here is a link for winter travel and other info. Check item #3.
Safe travels and thanks to your son from an old Vet.

RV SYSTEMS & APPLIANCES & RECALLS --- TECH INFORMATION
"007" is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2013, 04:01 PM   #3

National RV Owners Club
Florida Cooters Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Lived next to WPAFB for 60 years

Quote:
Originally Posted by B D HOWie View Post
We are new (5 months) to RVing. Son is coming in from Germany and going to be at Wright Patterson for a few weeks. We plan to head north from Florida. What do we need to know so that we do not freeze any lines and camp safely? Staying in Florida is not an option. lol
Looks like we will see if Frontier CG has an open site.
Thanks for your help.
Paul
2013 Coachman Freelander 28QB
E4500 Chevy - Workhorse
You say a few weeks. If you area going to be out of Ohio by mid November, you should not need to do anything - except make sure your propane is full.

Don't know where you are in Florida. I'm in North Central (ONF). November in SW Ohio is about like late February is here.
LakeKerrGuy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2013, 04:29 PM   #4

While strange things can happen, significant freezing weather in Ohio before Thanksgiving is not normal.

Joel
J Birder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2013, 04:39 PM   #5

If you are able to plug your coach into shore power you will be ok. You can use an electric heater. If you can't plug in you will run your generator very often because your furnace fans will use your battery power very fast. I just came back from hunting and thats what I experienced. Also keeping your waterlines from freezing can be a problem. Cheers Gerald
Old 10-19-2013, 05:29 PM   #6

Fleetwood Owners Club
You can run a small space heater off the 20 amp plug on the pedestal and put it in your basement. Just need a good extension cord. I set mine to 40 degrees. My tanks don't freeze as furnace blows on them, however the water pump, some water lines and the dump valves will freeze up as they are further away and not as insulated. Some people just burn a 100 watt bulb to add heat for these things.
Old 10-19-2013, 08:35 PM   #7

Workhorse Chassis Owner
Forest River Owners Club
Thank you to everyone for your help. I grew up in Ohio, but it has been 40 years since I lived there. The camping I did was in a tent as a Boy Scout and that was 50 years ago. We actually just returned from Ohio in mid September after visiting family all over. The only area we were not in was the NE. Hope to see some color this time.

007 thank you for your service. Son is stationed at George C. Marshall European Center for Security Studies in Garmisch, Germany. He is training for the Foreign Area Officer program and just completed Russian language training at the Presideo. Anyway priority is to see him when able. We just found out about his potentially being in the states a couple weeks ago, but the shutdown made the date uncertain.

OK, LP, electric heat, trouble light to hang in basement, check the links provided in more detail. Glad we do not travel at capacity.

Most of this is not needed in the Florida LEGOLAND area, but we want to be able to go when we want and where we want.

Truly appreciated,
Paul and Mary
Old 10-22-2013, 01:53 PM   #8

Winnebago Owners Club
Your son may be able to check you in to the FamCamp on base. We have run into many family members that stay at FamCamps as long as they have a active/retired family member set it up for them. Wright Pat is suppose to have a nice campground. Then all you have to have is a visitor pass to get on/off the base.
Just a thought.
Old 10-22-2013, 02:35 PM   #9

Freightliner Owners Club
Wright Patterson has the BEST air museum around. My son and I spent an entire day there in 2011 and went through 3 times to make sure we did not miss anything. (DW only went through once....thank God for motorhomes...).

At the time they had a tribute to Bob Hope with replays of his great USO shows for over 50 years. My son never heard of Bob Hope but we sat there and laughed out loud at all of his jokes!
RVing for 19 years & 150,000+ miles
RVThere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2013, 11:16 PM   #10

Workhorse Chassis Owner
Forest River Owners Club
I expect the museum to be priority number two. Seeing the boy number one of course.

The family campground closed for the season Oct 1st. We are checking with Frontier CG to see if they have an open site over the Veteran's Day weekend. Their answering machine is full so I tried their web contact. Hope they reply.
Old 10-28-2013, 09:53 PM   #11

Not sure the Air Museum is the best, as the Air museum in Pensacola is pretty great. Third Largest in the world--not sure where Wright Pat. fits.
Old 10-29-2013, 11:14 AM   #12

Fleetwood Owners Club
Pensacola is not even top ten, has no where close to the one of a kind aircraft that Wright- Pat has.
Old 12-25-2013, 03:26 PM   #13

Workhorse Chassis Owner
Forest River Owners Club
Sorry to wait so long to thank everyone for your help. We had a wonderful time. Frontier was a good camp ground about 35 minutes SE of Wright Patterson in Waynesville. The air museum is huge. Will return when we can spend more time. It snowed the night before we left. Icicles on B D HOWie as we left.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	image-2267734943.jpg
Views:	38
Size:	665.4 KB
ID:	52649   Click image for larger version

Name:	image-813987343.jpg
Views:	37
Size:	337.2 KB
ID:	52650