Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class C Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
Reply
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
 
Old 04-14-2013, 08:26 PM   #15
Senior Member
 
RVThere's Avatar
 
Freightliner Owners Club
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: Florida Keys
Posts: 2,163
Ralph,

We just got back from the Keys. The last overnight for us is usually the Port St. Lucie RV resort which is about 5 hours from the lower keys. Not many easy places to boondock below that.

What route are you taking from Nova Scotia? Ton of traffic on I-95 the past few weeks.
__________________

__________________
Tom and Katharine
'07 Winnebago Tour 40TD, 400hp Cummins
'17 Winnebago View 24V, '02 R-Vision B+
RVing for 19 years & 150,000+ miles
RVThere is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-14-2013, 08:33 PM   #16
Senior Member
 
toneumanns's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Posts: 792
Bluewater is a great place. Ownership there runs about $300,000 so the nightly rate seems to be high but reasonable.
__________________

__________________
2011 Itasca Suncruiser, Jeep Grand Cherokee toad
MSgt retired USAF 1988, AA retired 2005
toneumanns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2013, 10:09 PM   #17
Junior Member
 
ralphb's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Posts: 21
Quote:
Originally Posted by RVThere View Post
Ralph,

We just got back from the Keys. The last overnight for us is usually the Port St. Lucie RV resort which is about 5 hours from the lower keys. Not many easy places to boondock below that.

What route are you taking from Nova Scotia? Ton of traffic on I-95 the past few weeks.
We are going to take the I 95 all the way. I just want to get out on the open road with the rig. I bought an EZ Pass so I don''t have to wait at all the toll gates. We are getting excited, less than 2 weeks to go! Did you have nice weather? What activities did you partake in down at the Keys? Did you make it to Key West? Thank you for sharing your trip with us.
__________________
ralphb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2013, 10:27 PM   #18
Senior Member
 
FRR2EYW's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Front Royal, Va.
Posts: 391
When you get to the Port St. Lucie area you might want to move over to the florida turnpike. Traffic on 95 is hairy at best and it ends in downtown Miami. You then have a long way to go on South Dixie Hwy (US1) to get to overseas Hwy. Lots of lights and city traffic. The turnpike ends just north of Overseas Hwy. It is a good thing you got the sunpass, as they do toll-by-plate and not toll booths. Toll by plate is quite a bit more expensive. Have a good time and drink a chilly one for me. We stay at the sugarloaf KOA every February.
__________________
Shawn M.
2011 Fleetwood Expedition
2014 Chevy Traverse
FRR2EYW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2013, 10:28 PM   #19
Senior Member
 
RanCarr's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Posts: 1,910
Quote:
Originally Posted by justaroamer View Post
..... my payment for safer harbor at a nice campground is well worth "cheap" and goes along way for safety for me and those with me. Have a safe trip what ever you choose.
You're very very lucky that nice CGs just happen to be near the interstates you travel when you decide to stop for the night. That's only happened one time for us, in MD about 5 years ago. Since the CG was right by the Interstate we heard the traffic passing by all night.......

Most of the time when we stop for the night we're not interested is looking for CGs in strange locations in the dark... most not being near the Interstates we're on.
__________________
Retired. RVing with one husband and five cats.
1999 32' Fleetwood Southwind Class-A. Ford V10.
RanCarr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2013, 06:18 AM   #20
Senior Member
 
RVThere's Avatar
 
Freightliner Owners Club
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: Florida Keys
Posts: 2,163
Ralph,

'open road' does not equal 'I-95'. Just so you are prepared with I-95 from CT on down:
1. In CT, the road surface is pretty bad
2. 95 takes you through NYC on the Cross Bronx Expressway and the George Washington Bridge. Make sure your follow signs for the UPPER level of the bridge.
3. There is a missing link to I-95 in NJ. You have to get on the NJ Turnpike but that will allow you to bypass Philly.
4. Depending on the time of day, tolls back up in Delaware even if you have an EZPass.
5. In Baltimore, you have to take the Francis Scott Key bridge instead of the tunnel since you have propane.
6. Washington DC is another mess on 95.
7. Construction on I-95 through Richmond and southern VA. Take the I-295 bypass in Richmond.
8. You will then hit some open road in NC, SC, and GA.
9. Jacksonville is a little hairy as 95 curves and splits with I-10.
10. Agree with the previous poster to get on the FL Turnpike instead of 95. I switch over in Ft. Pierce. There is a Flying J for fill up, you go strait out of the exit and follow the road for 2 miles and it leads you right to the Turnpike entrance.

One detour you may consider is:
- take 287 as soon as you get into NY
- that will lead you around NYC to I-78
- take 78 to I-81
- take 81 to I-66 east to Rt. 17 which leads you to 95 in Fredricksburg VA

After that ride, you will enjoy your time in the keys!

Some things we do in the keys:
- fish. We have a friend who is a fishing guide and he takes us out
- Key West is constantly hopping. Mallory Square for the sunset festival every night is great. Mel Fisher museum, Hemingway house, walk down Duval st. to the southernmost point.
- eat. Frozen, chocolate covered key lime pie on a stick!
- relax. Once you cross the turquoise bridge from the mainland to Key Largo, all your travel troubles will be behind you!
__________________
Tom and Katharine
'07 Winnebago Tour 40TD, 400hp Cummins
'17 Winnebago View 24V, '02 R-Vision B+
RVing for 19 years & 150,000+ miles
RVThere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2013, 06:45 AM   #21
Senior Member
 
majfrizz's Avatar
 
Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: Somewhere Warm
Posts: 804
we are leaving today to go to the Keys. staying at Bluewater for the week. plan on staying at Vero beach the night before so we have about a 6 hour drive on Friday. and of course it looks like it is going to rain all day today.
__________________
Retired Army--Bob--2014 Tour 42QD
2015 GMC Canyon SLT Crew Cab 4WD
2001 Honda Goldwing
majfrizz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2013, 08:01 PM   #22
Junior Member
 
ralphb's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Posts: 21
Quote:
Originally Posted by RVThere View Post
Ralph,

'open road' does not equal 'I-95'. Just so you are prepared with I-95 from CT on down:
1. In CT, the road surface is pretty bad
2. 95 takes you through NYC on the Cross Bronx Expressway and the George Washington Bridge. Make sure your follow signs for the UPPER level of the bridge.
3. There is a missing link to I-95 in NJ. You have to get on the NJ Turnpike but that will allow you to bypass Philly.
4. Depending on the time of day, tolls back up in Delaware even if you have an EZPass.
5. In Baltimore, you have to take the Francis Scott Key bridge instead of the tunnel since you have propane.
6. Washington DC is another mess on 95.
7. Construction on I-95 through Richmond and southern VA. Take the I-295 bypass in Richmond.
8. You will then hit some open road in NC, SC, and GA.
9. Jacksonville is a little hairy as 95 curves and splits with I-10.
10. Agree with the previous poster to get on the FL Turnpike instead of 95. I switch over in Ft. Pierce. There is a Flying J for fill up, you go strait out of the exit and follow the road for 2 miles and it leads you right to the Turnpike entrance.

One detour you may consider is:
- take 287 as soon as you get into NY
- that will lead you around NYC to I-78
- take 78 to I-81
- take 81 to I-66 east to Rt. 17 which leads you to 95 in Fredricksburg VA

After that ride, you will enjoy your time in the keys!

Some things we do in the keys:
- fish. We have a friend who is a fishing guide and he takes us out
- Key West is constantly hopping. Mallory Square for the sunset festival every night is great. Mel Fisher museum, Hemingway house, walk down Duval st. to the southernmost point.
- eat. Frozen, chocolate covered key lime pie on a stick!
- relax. Once you cross the turquoise bridge from the mainland to Key Largo, all your travel troubles will be behind you!





Hey, thanks very much for the info. I will indeed take your advice when I solidify my route. The Keys sound like a lot of fun, we can't wait. Once again, many thanks to you, hope to meet you in our travels someday!

Ralph
__________________
ralphb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2013, 08:03 PM   #23
Junior Member
 
ralphb's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Posts: 21
Thanks to all for your input. This is a great site , lots of good info shared. I am in a business where communication is the key and I so appreciate your responses. Hope to meet you in travel someday.

Ralph
__________________
ralphb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2013, 08:06 PM   #24
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Posts: 563
We were going to take the same trip. Reservations at the Blue water keys, may 1-5th. But had a small problem. Have to have a Hernia operation. Maybe next
Year.mhave a good time.
__________________
poppopc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2013, 08:08 PM   #25
Senior Member
 
DebbieMH's Avatar


 
Entegra Owners Club
Join Date: Oct 2012
Location: Louisiana & Alabama
Posts: 2,574
Quote:
Originally Posted by majfrizz View Post
we are leaving today to go to the Keys. staying at Bluewater for the week. plan on staying at Vero beach the night before so we have about a 6 hour drive on Friday. and of course it looks like it is going to rain all day today.
Have fun and keep us posted. I'm heading the in May for two weeks.
__________________
Lynn & Dan Hochradel, & fur kids Carl & Alvin
2015 Entegra Anthem 44B, Dodge Ram 1500 Quad Cab
DebbieMH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2013, 08:31 PM   #26
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Posts: 615
ralphb really sugar coated the drive from Balt. to well below Richmond. Depending when you hit that area you will wish you had flown down and bought your RV there. If you can schedule to hit Balt. after 9 PM it will usually be a little better.

Good Luck
__________________
az99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2013, 09:03 PM   #27
Senior Member
 
bearaboo's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2011
Posts: 288
I-66 to Rt. 17 is a nice route, but you still run into a lot of traffic from Washington to Richmond. You can stay on I-81 to I-77. Take I-77 thru Charlotte to Columbia, SC. Take I-26 to I-95 south. You will have a much more pleasant drive. Less traffic, more trucks, but nice scenery. Not a big difference mileage wise.
__________________
bearaboo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2013, 08:01 PM   #28
Senior Member
 
majfrizz's Avatar
 
Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: Somewhere Warm
Posts: 804
arrived at bluewater key this afternoon. what a place. having the sunpass was a time saver on the FL turnpikes for sure. now to sit back and enjoy......
__________________

__________________
Retired Army--Bob--2014 Tour 42QD
2015 GMC Canyon SLT Crew Cab 4WD
2001 Honda Goldwing
majfrizz is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply



Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


» Virginia Campgrounds

Reviews provided by


Copyright 2002- Social Knowledge, LLC All Rights Reserved.

All times are GMT -6. The time now is 04:27 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.