Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class C Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 09-24-2010, 03:07 AM   #15

National RV Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
Solo Rvers Club
Send a message via Skype™ to Barbara S.
I have had both a fifth wheel and a motorhome and for me the motorhome is easier. I have been divorced for many years and have nobody to "share" the chores with, so I learned how to do it all myself. I have been RVing for 33 years and I still keep a list to remind me of things. Even things you are used to doing can be forgotten if you stop to talk to someone - like the brand new sewer hose I "forgot" as it was drying. There are times I can't get a water hose disconnected and have had to ask a neighbor for help. Nobody has refused to help me yet.

Good Sam Charter Life member/FMCA/SI/Escapees/Thousand Trails
Barbara S. is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-24-2010, 07:57 AM   #16

you confirmed what I had suspected. I have seen people trying to load and unload the tow vehicle and the headaches with that. Just another do this, do that thing, that if not done right can be a disaster in the making.

Old 09-25-2010, 07:27 PM   #17

Texas Boomers Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Adnama View Post
you confirmed what I had suspected. I have seen people trying to load and unload the tow vehicle and the headaches with that. Just another do this, do that thing, that if not done right can be a disaster in the making.
As one who full timed in fifth wheels for 9 years, I have absolutely no idea what you are referring to when you say people try to load and unload a tow vehicle.

The only things we loaded and unloaded from our tow vehicles were our pets, my purse, my camera,and the cell phone... the very same things we loaded and unloaded from the car we towed behind the motorhome we had.

Having had the actual experience of both fifth wheels and a 37' motorhome that towed a Honda Civic, I can truthfully say that the motorhome was much more of a pain to set up and take down than the fivers and that mostly had to do with the hitching and unhitching of the tow car and the Brake Buddy, which in most states is required (or something like it) for anything over 1,000 pounds. People who drive motorhomes tend to forget that, legally. their towed car is a trailer.

Further, we could back up the trailer without having to disconnect anything if we found ourselves in a place we shouldn't be (like a low clearance that wasn't in the book) If anything rattled in the cupboards of the fiver, we never heard it. If anything rattled in the cupboards of the motorhome we were tormented by the noise until we stopped and found the offending item.

At the end of a day's travels, I got out of my truck and went "home" to my trailer. At the end of a days travels in the motorhome, I was exactly where I spent the entire day.

I have just purchased a class C which is small enough that I don't need to tow a car and that makes it an acceptable motorhome, but I know that I will have to spend time readjusting the stuff in the cupboards as you don't know what's going to rattle until you drive a bit.

I've watched some people struggle so hard with their tow dolly that they took a bath on their motorhome and bought a truck and fifth wheel trailer. I know other motorhome owners with medical problems that prevented them from bending over and they, too, traded motorhomes and towed cars for fifth wheels and trucks which did not require all that bending and stooping that comes with hitching up a car.

Everyone has a story, but not everyone has the actual experience to make a valid comment.
kelliepoodle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2010, 09:03 AM   #18

Thor Owners Club
Gulf Streamers Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
We were in a CG in the middle of IL, parked next to us was a C of 30', the DW had to do it all, the DH was not healthy enough to do anything. She did all the driving hooked up the utilities, hooked up the toad, everything. And they were on their way home to Penn. from Fl. She did it all. As one lady said "You go girl, you can do it."
Bill
Bill----WWJU
woodworker414 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2011, 09:36 AM   #19

Winnebago Owners Club
It's been a long time. I still refer to the many helpful suggestions and encouragements I received from my original post. A short update: with the help of good friends we made a few changes to make set up easier and some minor changes to the interior of the unit that inhanced the comfort. I have learned a lot and feel more confident in my ability to manage what ever needs to be done. Thanks again for the great suggestions and the many good rving friends we have met and plan to meet in the future. Things take a little longer and we move a little slower, but even with health issues we enjoy rving, life is good!!
Old 05-20-2011, 09:06 PM   #20

National RV Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
Solo Rvers Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by dmay View Post
with the help of good friends we made a few changes to make set up easier and some minor changes to the interior of the unit that inhanced the comfort.
Things take a little longer and we move a little slower, but even with health issues we enjoy rving, life is good!!

What were the things to make set up easier? I have had problems when it is cold and the water hoses won't roll up or the sewer hose won't bend enough to fit back in the holder. When it is hot I can only do a few things before I have to come back inside and cool off (before I pass out). I have been RVing for 34 years but if I can find an easier way to do things I would be very grateful to learn it.
I, too, take a little longer and move a lot slower but still enjoy the RVing life.
Old 05-21-2011, 09:20 AM   #21

Texas Boomers Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Barbara S. View Post
What were the things to make set up easier? I have had problems when it is cold and the water hoses won't roll up or the sewer hose won't bend enough to fit back in the holder. When it is hot I can only do a few things before I have to come back inside and cool off (before I pass out). I have been RVing for 34 years but if I can find an easier way to do things I would be very grateful to learn it.
I, too, take a little longer and move a lot slower but still enjoy the RVing life.
Here's what we did: downsized to a 23' class C so we didn't have to mess with the toad. Took a load off our backs, kept us out of the heat, cold, rain,wind... made RVing much more spontaneous and set up is now two minutes, unless we are off-level then it's 5 minutes.
kelliepoodle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2011, 09:44 AM   #22

Winnebago Owners Club
Barbara, after 34 years I'm sure you have learned much more than this newby. It's like you said, we have to accept that things will take us longer but we can do it. Until some genius comes up with a way to set up with just the push of a botton (and that could happen) we have to plan and anticipate what the conditions might require of us. You are probably ahead of me on any fixes but a few of the things we did: no more crawling under rig to place stabilizers (don't need them), TV connections are now on the exterior of RV (sweet), added safety grab handles to bathroom, bedroom and entrance door. Good friend remodled corner bed so it accomodates large twin mattress leaving room to move around and made it possible to make the bed. No more tent pegs to hold down patio pad, purchased rugkeepers (heavy rubber pads), eliminates tripping hazard. No magic bullet yet for cold hoses or cords but let me know when you find the solution. As long as we keep helping each other we can do it!
Old 05-23-2011, 08:34 PM   #23

Country Coach Owners Club
Vintage RV Owners Club
Florida Cooters Club
Barbara,
Let me suggest a couple of things for your difficult-to-roll hoses and power cord.

1. Obtain a shorter length of fresh-water supply hose so that you are not required to lay out 25 feet of hose when a 10 to 12-foot length would serve you well. You can cut a fresh water hose and fit it with the male/female connections available at Home Depot, Lowes, etc. I would suggest you divide a 25' hose into 10' and 15' lengths and use whichever one will do the job... you will still have the option of re-joining them if you need the full 25' length.

2. Additionally, when it is time to roll up your fresh water hose, IF...IF, IF your coach is fitted with an outside hot water tap with standard hosebib threads (mine is), you can simply disconnect the hose from the campsite hosebib, connect it to your outside tap and flow a small amount of heated water through it as you roll it up, finally disconnecting the soft, pliable and "tame" hose from your coach... being careful not to dangle the end of the hose on the dirty (extremely dirty) ground in the vicinity of the sewer dump.
The amount of water you will need to have flowing will be exponentially proportionate to the ambient temperature vs. the length of the hose vs. the speed at which you are able to roll it (as pro-rated on a quantum physics scale of diminishing values in real time, across the spectral universe, expressed in square roots to the 3rd power) In other words, you won't know until you actually start to roll that unruly sucker up!! If it is still stiff, turn the water on faster, my dear!

3. As for the "stinky slinky" ... you MAY be able to introduce some pliability into it by emptying your holding tanks, then taking your final hot shower, catching the warm water in the grey tank and immediately dumping that warm water as your final disconnection task. Again, quantum physics will factor heavily into the equation... with the added dimension that it will be slightly removed from "real time" hot water flowing throught the hose ...that's as close as I dare to postulate it... some assembly required, your results may vary!!!

4. As for the electrical electrical cord... unless you are a very experienced electrician, please have a qualified electrician provide you with a 10 to 15 foot length of special "cold weather service" (pliable at cold temps) cord, so that you will not have to battle a full 50' of cord with a mind of its own. I strongly advise AGAINST using the same scheme I recommended for the water hose (cutting and potentially joining two hoses together)... The electrical cord is different in that the introduction of a "joint" will cause some amount of resistance and may also be a shock hazard when lying on wet ground ...and for certain when lying a puddle of water.

To clarify this, you should only have two points of connection... one at the coach and one at the pedestal... NO OTHER connection in that electrical cord should be present. A qualified electrician can obtain the correct size of wire and fit it with the correct male/female ends, observing the correct hot1/hot2/neutral/ground scheme. The result will be that you will use EITHER the big 50' monster or your custom made shorter cord... NEVER the two of them (or any other lengths) joined together.

And finally... If you do obtain the shorter hoses/cords... When positioning your coach, you should try to manuever as closely as you safely can to the pedestal... thereby allowing you to use the shortest of your hoses and electrical cords that will do the job.

I hope this helps... please PM (Private Message) me if you need further clarification on these suggestions.
Barbara, I do sooooo admire your strong spirit and you can be sure there are many of us who will do whatever we can to support you as you carry on in your journey.
Keep us posted and God Bless you and yours,
Jim
Good man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2011, 09:00 PM   #24

Country Coach Owners Club
Vintage RV Owners Club
Florida Cooters Club
Correction to my last post... I got confused... I was mistaking BARBARA'S question about the stiff hoses as having come from "dmay" (the Original Poster) and I meant to address the last part about her determination to keep on keeping on to "dmay" ...but I certainly meant all of it to anyone who is finding a way to continue through difficulties just the same.
I always try to include the correct name as a greeting when responding to a post because it is often difficult to determine which post someone is referring to when they insert a message like "I agree with that..." and due to a time lag it gets inserted down the thread a ways.
I guess I just didn't look back up the thread far enough...
FIRST MISTAKE I ever made in my entire life... dang! It really feels strange!!!
Onward and upward, guys...
Jim
Good man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2011, 10:16 PM   #25

Winnebago Owners Club
My Mom 81 and her sister 77 (when they started) both widows, travel by MH from IA to South TX every year. My parents farmed, my aunt traveled with her husband for many years. They both drive and it is a 37 ft MH. Mom now is 88 and her eyesight is getting worse so she is no longer going to drive. Is it stopping them NO! My uncle did all the hook-ups when they traveled and my aunt said she didn't pay much attention to it. But it was not difficult to learn. They went to the dealer and asked to be shown a couple of items which the dealer was more than happy to do. They take there time traveling to South TX taking 3 or 4 days. I have absolutely no problem with them traveling as they are both in good health except for Mom's eyesight. They always call when off the road at night. And just for your info we travel to South TX for the Winter also and they go faster than we do.

There is some VERY good info on this thread. Go for it and enjoy life together for as long as you can. Sorry to hear that health is cutting in to your life plans.
goldwingerx2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2011, 10:37 PM   #26

National RV Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
Solo Rvers Club
[QUOTE=Good man;861827]Barbara,
Let me suggest a couple of things for your difficult-to-roll hoses and power cord.

1. Obtain a shorter length of fresh-water supply hose - already have those.

2. IF your coach is fitted with an outside hot water tap with standard hosebib threads - mine does not have that.

3. As for the "stinky slinky" ... you MAY be able to introduce some pliability into it by emptying your holding tanks, then taking your final hot shower, catching the warm water in the grey tank and immediately dumping that warm water as your final disconnection task. It is cold by the time I can get dressed and outside.

4. have a qualified electrician provide you with a 10 to 15 foot length of special "cold weather service" (pliable at cold temps) cord, - that doesn't work either as my cord is permanently attached to the MH.

Thank you so much for taking the time to address my problems and offer solutions.
Old 05-24-2011, 10:53 AM   #27

Winnebago Owners Club
Barbara, went out this am to flush rv before first trip of season. It was barely 40 degrees. I used some colorful language, come in wet and cold but I got it done! Kept thinking of you and felt a little less frustrated. Another hurdle and more confidence. Told myself how lucky I was to be at home fighting a water hose and not the big nasty one. Just had to share!