Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class C Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 12-13-2015, 08:34 PM   #1

Heating pads under tanks

Is the heat generated by these pads enough to get you from Canada's gold weather to somewhere warm during winter or should I winterized it before leaving

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-14-2015, 05:09 AM   #2

I was wondering the same thing since we are heading South from Nova Scotia in Jan. My 2 waste tanks are exposed and have heating pads. Spoke to my neighbour who does this trip in a class C ever year in Jan and they said there is no problem in MH. They start off with a tank of FW and pink stuff in drains and a bit in the tanks. If brutally cold they avoid using the system until they are in areas were not as bad and try to wait until after their 1st night stay (they dry camp along the way south in walmarts etc and do not want to use the heater pads while stopped). If not really cold (less than -6 or so) they use the tanks and the heaters.. turned off at night. No issues. I guess it makes sense to assess the temps.

Old 12-15-2015, 07:02 AM   #3

Even if the pads did make enough heat, they won't do anything for the pipes and lines.

Just leave the tanks empty until you're far enough south to be beyond a hard freeze, from where you are that should be a single long day of driving.

Just carry a jug of 50% RV antifreeze/ 50% water to flush with and jugs of clean water for cooking and drinking.
Old 12-15-2015, 07:31 AM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Murf2u View Post
Even if the pads did make enough heat, they won't do anything for the pipes and lines.
Just leave the tanks empty until you're far enough south to be beyond a hard freeze, from where you are that should be a single long day of driving.
Just carry a jug of 50% RV antifreeze/ 50% water to flush with and jugs of clean water for cooking and drinking
Murf2u
That works for us, (has for 12 winters while traveling south from Wisconsin in Dec. or Jan.) in our winterized coach.... except that we use water from jugs without the RV antifreeze to flush the toilet.
Mel
'96 Safari
Old 12-15-2015, 07:02 PM   #5

Mel, while using straight water SHOULD work ok there's always the chance that the water that's settled at the lowest point, the gate valve, will freeze hard enough to split the pipe.

For a few (literally) dollars for some RV antifreeze, why take the chance?
Old 12-16-2015, 03:41 AM   #6

Quote:
Mel, while using straight water SHOULD work ok there's always the chance that the water that's settled at the lowest point, the gate valve, will freeze hard enough to split the pipe.

Uea makes sense even if it turns slushy it is still better than solid and a cracked pipe
Old 12-16-2015, 07:43 AM   #7

Quote:
Murf2u
I believe that RV antifreeze settles at the lowest point. that being the gate valves in waste tanks.
I've noticed that if I use my waste tanks while the coach is winterized "pink stuff" comes out 1st when I dump them the 1st time.
Mel
'96 Safari
Old 12-17-2015, 07:59 AM   #8

I'd have thought it would readily mix with water, but if you got a little over zealous with the AF when doing the drains I could certainly see some straight AF 'orphaned' at the gate valve.

Regardless, running straight water into the black and / or grey tanks in freezing weather is an unnecessary risk IMHO.
Old 12-17-2015, 10:32 AM   #9

Quote:
I'd have thought it would readily mix with water, but if you got a little over zealous with the AF when doing the drains I could certainly see some straight AF 'orphaned' at the gate valve.
Regardless, running straight water into the black and / or grey tanks in freezing weather is an unnecessary risk IMHO.
Perhaps it is...however if you mix "Polypropylene Glycol based RV antifreeze" with water, or urine, (or water urine mix), in a clear container you will find that overtime the antifreeze will settle to the bottom.
Mel
Old 12-18-2015, 07:15 AM   #10

Yes, given time it just might, however I was thinking of the OP's comment about heading south.

I doubt it would separate going down the highway.

Tags
heat, heating, tank