Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class C Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 03-23-2019, 11:25 AM   #1

Heavy duty load range E tires for Class C

Several tire manufacturers (incuding Bridgestone, General, Hercules and others) are now producing a 225 75 16 E tire with a heavier load rating. While still classified as a E range tire under US standards, they carry a load index of from 119 to 121 which adds approximately 500 lbs per tire to rated carrying capacity. They are more expensive than standard E rated tires but not out of reason over the standard E capacity. Many class C motorhomes like mine are at or near the maximum weight for rear tires and I am tempted to try them. Has anyone here had experience with any of them, either good or bad?
marsingbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-23-2019, 12:40 PM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by marsingbob View Post
Several tire manufacturers (incuding Bridgestone, General, Hercules and others) are now producing a 225 75 16 E tire with a heavier load rating. While still classified as a E range tire under US standards, they carry a load index of from 119 to 121 which adds approximately 500 lbs per tire to rated carrying capacity. They are more expensive than standard E rated tires but not out of reason over the standard E capacity. Many class C motorhomes like mine are at or near the maximum weight for rear tires and I am tempted to try them. Has anyone here had experience with any of them, either good or bad?
If this load index rating "can be trusted", then go for it.

I'm biased a bit, so I personally wouldn't try that index rating accept in a Michelin tire. What I would really like on our Class C is Load Range G Michelin LT225/75R16 M&S tires ... but there no such animal available!
Phil G. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2019, 12:51 PM   #3

Quote:
I’ll let you know soon.
I have the Hercules Terra Trac CH4 getting installed Tuesday. Then going in for alignment.
These are a 90psi tire so with the stock 80psi wheels?
I checked with 3 local tire shops and they all said go for it
2late is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2019, 07:16 PM   #4

Quote:
Many class C motorhomes like mine are at or near the maximum weight for rear tires
On my Ford chassis my RAWR is 9600lbs. My Michelins (as duals) are rated at 9880 lbs. While I know other rigs may differ, I would suggest to folks that are thinking of changing their tires, to also think about lightening their load (haul less water, try to load less stuff, etc.).
1982 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2019, 12:30 PM   #5

2 looking forward to hearing your experience. 1982 I agree, but my Class C is close to 14000 empty, and runs over 15000 on the road, like many, many Class C's. It has airbags added to the rear by the manufacturer which helps stability, but I worry more about tires than some type of frame/rear axle/brake failure. I am looking at an extra 2000 lbs rear tire capacity (plus 1000 lbs on the front) as an extra safety measure, not a way to increase the curent load on my RV.
marsingbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2019, 01:39 PM   #6

Bob , I agree I’m not trying to increase my load.
I’m only looking for that extra margin of safety with these tires.
If I’m not satisfied my next step would be upgrade to Rickrerson 17” wheel.
Old 03-24-2019, 06:45 PM   #7

Winnebago Owners Club
Thanks for posting, Bob. This is really a "good news" thread (especially for folks with 30+ ft Class C's) IMHO. I too consider my little ol' 16" tires the weak point in my rig. Orig owner popped an inside dual and tore up the black tank, 2nd owner popped an inside dual and I popped an inside dual ... with very minor damage. In my case, at least, there was no warning from the TPMS ...... the tire was just about exactly 5 yrs old. The Bridgestones I installed immediately after my tire failure (about 3 years ago) will be coming off at 5 yrs and I will sure want these new/stronger load range E's........ as will a LOT of folks I'm sure. I am about 500 lb under my GVWR and about 2000 lb under my GCWR but only about 250 lb under my front GAWR all whilst "traveling light". I will continue to travel light even with these new tires. Sure hope they meet expectations.

Safe travels.................
youracman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2019, 08:42 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by youracman View Post
Thanks for posting, Bob. This is really a "good news" thread (especially for folks with 30+ ft Class C's) IMHO. I too consider my little ol' 16" tires the weak point in my rig. Orig owner popped an inside dual and tore up the black tank, 2nd owner popped an inside dual and I popped an inside dual ... with very minor damage. In my case, at least, there was no warning from the TPMS ...... the tire was just about exactly 5 yrs old. The Bridgestones I installed immediately after my tire failure (about 3 years ago) will be coming off at 5 yrs and I will sure want these new/stronger load range E's........ as will a LOT of folks I'm sure. I am about 500 lb under my GVWR and about 2000 lb under my GCWR but only about 250 lb under my front GAWR all whilst "traveling light". I will continue to travel light even with these new tires. Sure hope they meet expectations.

Safe travels.................
I too wonder about how close is too close for loads on my tires. I would like to know when folks pop rear tires what weight those tires were carrying on that side of the rig, and was that close, or over their rating. You had weighed your rig. How about the rear? Each side?
1982 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2019, 04:34 PM   #9

Winnebago Owners Club
Talking

1982 wrote: "I too wonder about how close is too close for loads on my tires. I would like to know when folks pop rear tires what weight those tires were carrying on that side of the rig, and was that close, or over their rating. You had weighed your rig. How about the rear? Each side?"

The CAT scale I used provides only front axle and rear axle weights. Unfortunately, there is not room at the sides of the scale so that I could pull over to one side and get a 2nd set of readings with half the coach on the scale to "calculate/estimate" the four corners. At the time I had my tire failure, I was south of Las Vegas, had just topped Baker grade and was very lightly loaded on that trip. The ambient temp was about 90 degrees IIRC. Lots of tread left on the failed tire......of course. It was a BF Goodrich as were all the tires; they were installed by the PO and all about 5 years old.

The tire shops I talked to said that inside-dual failures are the most common and they attribute that to higher temperatures at that location (less air flow.) Of the 3 failures to date, all were inside duals: 2 were on the driver's side 1 was on the passenger side; I do not suspect that one side is loaded a lot more than the other on my rig, but I really don't know that ............... without 4-corner weights.

I believe it is generally accepted that age is the major factor in RV tire failures.....assuming proper inflation, etc. Ya gotta think though, that a tire with more load carrying capability would be a good thing. I have read where some guys with Class C's have run up to 10 years on their tires but they usually have a 24 footer or so. With my "paunchy" 31 ft rig I'll stick with 5 years......but then I am a member of the "tires is cheaper'n bones club".

Best.............. ed s
youracman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2019, 04:51 PM   #10

To keep my pass cooler (to pass more air in engine box) I made a sort of air scoop and tie wrapped it to the RF suspension arm.

The cab floor temp is noticibly cooler, and as a side bene, the inside RR tire is now the same temp as the inside LR, instead of 4 to 5 deg higher (as shown via tmps). Most of the time the right rears are about the same. I also see a slight reduction in the RF toad temp too.

Have been using the scoop for about a year, so while anecdotal, it is long enough to likely be valid.

I first thought of making duct work from the grill, bit the lazy me came up with the homemade scoop idea which only took a few minutes. I still want to make it bigger (wider flap in the air path) to force more air flow over the exhaust, and maybe a twin for my side.
Do26 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2019, 08:21 AM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Do26 View Post
To keep my pass cooler (to pass more air in engine box) I made a sort of air scoop and tie wrapped it to the RF suspension arm.

The cab floor temp is noticibly cooler, and as a side bene, the inside RR tire is now the same temp as the inside LR, instead of 4 to 5 deg higher (as shown via tmps). Most of the time the right rears are about the same. I also see a slight reduction in the RF toad temp too.

Have been using the scoop for about a year, so while anecdotal, it is long enough to likely be valid.

I first thought of making duct work from the grill, bit the lazy me came up with the homemade scoop idea which only took a few minutes. I still want to make it bigger (wider flap in the air path) to force more air flow over the exhaust, and maybe a twin for my side.
Pictures please.
Old 03-27-2019, 04:32 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2late View Post
Pictures please.
I have new 2019 hankook LT 225/17R/16 E and not hearing alot of good stuff about their wear and load range. Thinking of moving to a LT 245. Anyone done this with good results?
lauried is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2019, 06:06 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by lauried View Post
I have new 2019 hankook LT 225/17R/16 E and not hearing alot of good stuff about their wear and load range. Thinking of moving to a LT 245. Anyone done this with good results?
If we are talking about the Ford E350/E450 DRW chassis with stock wheels you can't or shouldn't. Any knowledgeable tire dealer would refuse to mount them due to no or limited inside spacing between the tire sidewalls in each set of DRWs.
Old 03-27-2019, 06:24 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by Taffeys View Post
If we are talking about the Ford E350/E450 DRW chassis with stock wheels you can't or shouldn't. Any knowledgeable tire dealer would refuse to mount them due to no or limited inside spacing between the tire sidewalls in each set of DRWs.
Thanks for the info. Have a 2019 entegra esteem 29v c class and the tires look small for the 33 foot length. Appreciate your response.
lauried is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
class c, tires