Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class C Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 02-23-2012, 08:44 PM   #1

Hello All

I am also New to the Motorhome experience. I got rid of my 40 ft 5th wheel a few years back and finally decided I wanted to get another RV. After looking around and assesing my family situation, a 5th wheel didnt seem very fun any more. (I have two kidos and they love to fight in the truck). I decided to buy a class C. Not very big but roomy enough to seperate the two kids (LOL). Any way to carry on..... I purchased a 1983 Tioga chevy. It needs a ton of interior and exterior repair but I don't mind. I picked it up for 1000 bucks with a clear title. I figure my family will all help with repairs to come. The basics of the rv all work, the frige, water pump, a/c, generator, motor (350), transmission and holding tanks. The bad is the roof in a couple of places and the over the cab bunk are rotten beyond repair so I believe i will replace these thing in the up coming weeks. I am a veteran carpenter so this type of repair seems fairly easy. I am looking forward to browsing through this forum for ideas and dos and donts on the repairs i need to make. I hope to be able to share photos of the progress as they unfold. Any words of wisdom will be greatly appreciated as I embark on this journey to raise the dead.....LOL....

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-23-2012, 10:13 PM   #2

Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
post a few pictures of its current condition so that I can take a look. I had to do some similar work on my previous 1991 23 ft Winnebago TOYOTA class c. A rare machine but once I was done all the repairs I sold it for twice my purchase price. It was fun doing it as I am a carpenter also. Good luck and I look forward to seeing picks.

2003 Winnebago Journey DL 39, Cat 330 2 slideouts
Luv2journey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2012, 11:00 PM   #3
Moderator Emeritus

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Howdy and welcome to the forum. Sounds like you've got a great "project RV"...congrats and have fun.

SarahW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2012, 07:28 AM   #4

Been there done that have fun with it now you. can do it your way and customize it thats what we did
Old 02-24-2012, 08:33 AM   #5
Moderator Emeritus

Nor'easters Club
Fleetwood Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
I've redone many over the years and when your done you'll enjoy it. Perhaps sell it and move onto the next. In any case alot of fun rebuilding and using it. Good luck and post some pictures as you go along.
US Navy Vet.
Bruce C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2012, 02:28 AM   #6

Monaco Owners Club
Winnebago Owners Club
Hi and . Good luck with your project
sdennislee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2012, 08:13 AM   #7

Moving the rv to a friends enclsed shop to do the roof today. I am taking pixs of the progress starting today. I will post them as soon as i get them back home. I am starting to tear out the over cab bunk so i dont have pix of the before of that but I am sure you can imagine how it looked before just by the amount of demolition I have done. I also have a question about the way the ceiling was installed. I looks to have been put down between the outer frame and the roof joists. This will make it difficult to replace without removing the entire roof. I will try to get a pix of what I am talking about to show you. Any ideas on replacement please let me know... Thanks guys......
Old 02-27-2012, 08:55 AM   #8

ok, so I have taken a few pix and I am going to try to post them. I hope this works..

Just a few pix I hope they work.
Old 02-27-2012, 09:32 AM   #9
Moderator Emeritus

Nor'easters Club
Fleetwood Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Your faced with the same problem I was faced with on a pick up camper I had many years ago. With you being a carpenter you will have no problem. Do both sides then make sure the roof is not leaking. i used styrofoam insulation on the front and sides as well as the bottom and front and no problems. Much warmer than the fiberglass insulation. It always looks worse during the rebuild. Good luck.
US Navy Vet.
Old 02-27-2012, 09:46 AM   #10

Thanks Bruce, I am looking forward to tearing into it further today. I will have to do roof and side demolition at the same time and then go back with the ceiling then the sides and finally the roof last. That is what I am figuring on. I hope to have the sides and roof off today (fingers crossed).
Old 02-27-2012, 09:47 AM   #11

Welcome to the forum and good luck with your project. Will be watching the progress.
John H... is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2012, 10:01 AM   #12
Moderator Emeritus

Nor'easters Club
Fleetwood Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Another thing I remembered after the posting I did was, I used PL 400 which is a construction adhesive. I think made by 3M. It was good to put on the studs facing the outside, it bonded the studs to the siding and once dry added strength to the overhang. As I can remember I used quite a bit of it. Wish I had taken pictures. It was many years ago. The fun was always the rebuild. Again good Luck
US Navy Vet.
Old 02-28-2012, 08:04 PM   #13

Well, after working for two days straight, I am starting to think I may have made a mistake in the purchase of this RV. I am finding more rot than I bargained for. The whole roof has been removed and there was styrofoam insulation glued to both ceiling and roof so when I removed the roof luan it tore places in the ceiling out. Looks as if I will be putting a new ceiling in also. The worst part of the whole thing so far as if thats not enough, the metal frame on the rear of the coach is completely rotted out. I am pricing the 1x2 metal tomorrow so I hope my pocketbook can take the hit along with all the other unknowns.

I have a question, The roof was covered with 1/4 in luan, so, I am wanting to go back with 1/2 OSB. I know it is heavier but I want to do a rubber roof instead of the metal roof that was on it. There were fir strips under all the luan where the metal framework was so I am thinking that the 1/2 in will go right in place. If there is a problem with this let me know.

I am having to strip off the fiberglass siding on the entire coach just to keep it in one piece. I am going to put 1/4 in luan back on the outside and put the fiberglass back. My question is what is the best way to remove the glue and top layer of luan that came off with the fiberglass?

I am sure I will have many more questions as this project continues. Any help with these situations will be greatly appreciated.

More pictures of the progress to come tomorrow night, I left the camera at home yesterday and today so I will take it tomorrow.....

Thanks guys....
Old 02-29-2012, 03:41 AM   #14
Moderator Emeritus

Nor'easters Club
Fleetwood Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
On the roof I'd go with 3/8" instead of 1/2", it was on my 5th wheel. It will be rigid enough and still save some on the weight issue. Removing the glue and luan from the outside is something I haven't had to do but maybe someone else has. A power washer may do it if your careful, be cautious though. I use mine for removing all sort of things.

US Navy Vet.