Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class C Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 02-13-2016, 08:01 AM   #15

Thanks for all the replies

I looked at Class c yesterday and will likely visit a major show this spring or summer with both types and many brands. I am in no hurry for numerous reasons.

Fully agree Steve and they are my thoughts also. I do want to consider the solar options also. I had a dealer tell me they do their own for less dollars.

Whatever you choose, my preferences would be with AC, built in gen, fridge, stove, sink, microwave, shower/toilet, and the the largest water, holding, fuel, propane capacities available.

Just my 2c.

Steve

Thanks to everyone again.
Looking4rv is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-13-2016, 11:19 AM   #16

I think we used our TC at least somewhat in the same way you plan to use your RV, whatever iot may be. We grew up in WV and moved to OR in '74. From that time on we went back to WV nearly every Summer to visit family and friends. Because of work we had about 4 weeks for each trip and would go as far North or South as we needed to to see what we wanted to along the way. Because we were on a budget and in a hurry we stayed primarily in rest areas and truck stops when traveling from one destination to another. The TCs were also used for hunting, fishing, other trips near home in OR. After retirement in '94 we continued doing the same thing, only spending more time because it was available. For us TCs worked great.

I haven't looked at many class Bs, but a friend had one of the diesel powered Sprinters (Mercedes?) which he said got mileage in the low to mid 20s, but looked to me like it would require some shuffling of interior components in order to to use other interior components. Perhaps this has changed, but it is nice after a day of driving to just go back and fix something to eat, perhaps walk around a bit, shower, and go to bed without having to move things around. Just something to think about as you look at various RVs.

Several years ago we decided to visit AK. After some thought we decided to ride the ferry up the inland passage from Prince Rupert, BC to Skagway, AK, stopping for about 1.5 days each at Ketchikan, Wrangel, Sitka, and Juneau on the way. While planning this trip I learned that there was a set fee for vehicles, as well as I remember, at or under 23'. After that it was paid at a rate of so much a foot, and more expensive. Our TC was actually 23.5' and we had to pay the higher rate, but my point is there are sometimes other unforeseen advantages in having a smaller RV.

Best of luck with your selection, I think you're going to love the new adventure. There is so much to see.

Steve
dix39 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2016, 07:06 AM   #17

We've been saving for a F450 and Lance 1172. But now we are seriously considering the new 24 foot Winnebago Fuse 23T.

The Winnebago has a lot going for it. But the F450 would better handle the beach, or some snow, steeper roads in the mountains or the "off-road" locations a little better.

The Winnebago would be about $50K cheaper, but - less horsepower, no 4X4, less versatility.

Still, the Winnebago is very attractive. We have been camping out of a pickup for a long time and using a tent, carrying two cooler chests, having to set up all out chairs, bedding, etc.

So either way we go will be a step up for us.
peterson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2016, 08:09 PM   #18

Tiffin Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Another thing you want to consider is how easy it is for your dog to get in and out of the camper. When they get older it becomes a problem if they are a large breed.

You might want to look for a toy hauler so you can take a 4 wheeler/motorcycle for off roading.

Good Luck,
Jon
2013 Chevy Spark Dinghy
jfran304 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2016, 09:31 PM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by wildtoad View Post
If I were in your situation I think I'd go for the truck camper. Go anywhere you want, any time you want. Have the option of dropping the camper and just taking the truck. Nothing better than a man, his dog, and his truck!

Yeppers. Even better when you get home you have a vehicle you can actually use..
Old 02-18-2016, 10:54 PM   #20

Ford Super Duty Owner
As has been said before the choice is yours. One question you might consider is while you are traveling, how long will you stay in each place. If you are planning to travel then stay in place for a week or two then travel, etc then I would look at a pickup and 5th wheel. The size of each will depend on your needs. If you are going to do many one night stops then a class A, B, or C would work well. There are some small class A's that are nice. Question would be do you need a car when you stop? If so, you would need to tow a car. This might lead you back to a truck and 5th wheel.
ledoylefcco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2016, 07:51 AM   #21

For one person, one of the small 5th wheel trailers likely doesn't need the biggest truck for towing. I have seen some really nice small combinations that look trim, efficient, and not nearly as gigantic as most 5th wheel rigs (no offense to owners of large 5th wheelers)

Quote:
Originally Posted by ledoylefcco View Post
As has been said before the choice is yours. One question you might consider is while you are traveling, how long will you stay in each place. If you are planning to travel then stay in place for a week or two then travel, etc then I would look at a pickup and 5th wheel. The size of each will depend on your needs. If you are going to do many one night stops then a class A, B, or C would work well. There are some small class A's that are nice. Question would be do you need a car when you stop? If so, you would need to tow a car. This might lead you back to a truck and 5th wheel.
2005 Safari (Monaco)Trek 28RB2, Workhorse W20, 8.1, Allison 1000 5 spd, UltraPower engine & tranny, Track bars & sway bars, KONI FSD, FMCA 190830, Safari Int'l. chapter. 1999 Safari Trek 2830, 1995 Safari Trek 2430, 1983 Winnebago Chieftain, 1976 Midas Mini
George Schweikle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2016, 02:28 PM   #22

Be wary of a Class C. Ours sits there plugged in ready to go at a moments notice and you never know where. This morning we came back from breakfast and the next thing I knew we were headed down the road just to make sure it was ready. Drove about 50 miles just for the heck of it. They'll get you in a lot of trouble.
mikell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2016, 02:36 PM   #23

Most non-slide truck campers have less space in them than the narrow class B's. I'd go for a Sprinter-based class B before a truck camper unless I already had a dually truck for a truck camper with a slide. A 24' class C isn't really much bigger than a dually crew cab pickup - neither fits in a normal parking spot.
cwsqbm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2016, 02:43 PM   #24

The first time you run into a nasty storm and decide to get off the road (wise decision) you will figure out whether the class b/c is better or not about the time you need to pee.

Taking a towed is dead simple. Then you can base camp with the C and take something like a jeep wherever you want to try to get it to.

C's are better if you are not in a hurry because they have a nice attic for toys and stuff. I'd think a little larger just so I had room have a couch or chair as well as a dining spot. The bonus may be bigger tanks!
nothermark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2016, 02:45 PM   #25

Tiffin Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by wildtoad View Post
If I were in your situation I think I'd go for the truck camper. Go anywhere you want, any time you want. Have the option of dropping the camper and just taking the truck. Nothing better than a man, his dog, and his truck!
Welcome. I like wildtoad input. One thing to add, if you are a DIY mechanic, go to an RV dealer and take a good look at the maintainability of a Class C engine/chassis vs that of a truck. The smaller Class Cs you are interested in are mostly on van chassis. Should help you in your decision process :>)
tomwalt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2016, 04:56 AM   #26

Make your list and check it twice and thrics.

We have owned about everything there is at some point in time. Currently we just moved from a 16' TT to a 30' Class B+.

They do make 4x4 Class B's and C's, jut not very common. Take your time, talk to owners and look at EVERYTHING you can. Some units are much better built than others. Research, Research and Research some more. Then when you find the unit that will work for you, you will be ready to move on it.

I don't like the TC's anymore, getting old and getting into them and the bed was becoming too much of a strain for my worn out knees.

We met an elderly gentleman over the weekend that was traveling with a tear drop, he has been on the road for several months following the warmer weather. He said his father built it originally. He rebuilt it and is having the time of his life.

I like the Class A/B/C for the convenience of being able to stop and grab something without having to go outside if the weather is nasty. Just need to train the dog to use the onboard toilet.

Good luck and let us know how you make out.

Aaron
wahoonc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2016, 06:47 AM   #27

FWIW Anything that involves unloading like a TC gets old fast. If you want an excuse to drive a medium to large truck everywhere then the fiver or TC gives it to you. Otherwise any class MH with a small to mid size towed is a handier setup. Be careful of small setups. Make sure you have room to do normal things in a small unit. A lot of what we have seen were claustrophobic to be in as well as tight enough to cause a lot of interference in just daily living. Add small tanks and not much storage. You might find something in the low 20 ft range but you might find adding a couple of feet makes a really big difference in your comfort level. Driving will make little or no difference. The height and width are what get you.
nothermark is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
class c