Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class C Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 02-11-2016, 12:49 PM   #1

Hello-Looking at Class C vs Camper

I am leaning what I can for my purchase likely a year out. I see pros and cons to call types but for me a class c or truck camper will work. I am single, retired and will likely just travel with a dog. Looking to travel most of the US and some off road and boondocking. I want a small class c 21-24 feet if I go that route.

Any real world advice is appreciated.

Thank you, JN-Tucson
Looking4rv is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-11-2016, 01:01 PM   #2

Tiffin Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner

Only you can decide what you need.

If it was only me and my dog I would look at the Class B's also.

Good luck,
Jon
2013 Chevy Spark Dinghy
jfran304 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2016, 01:26 PM   #3
Senior Member/RVM #90

Monaco Owners Club
Welcome to IRV2! We're sure glad you joined us!

Good luck, happy trails, and God bless!
MSHappyCampers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2016, 01:28 PM   #4

If I were in your situation I think I'd go for the truck camper. Go anywhere you want, any time you want. Have the option of dropping the camper and just taking the truck. Nothing better than a man, his dog, and his truck!

2016 Newmar Bay Star Sport 3004
2021 Jeep Gladiator Sport Willys
wildtoad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2016, 01:34 PM   #5

Wildtoad

Thanks and that is a dilemma for me. It will be a camper or a small class c. There are reasons I am not totally sold on the camper, but it is the smarter option perhaps. Thanks for the reply.
Looking4rv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2016, 01:52 PM   #6

Newmar Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
denlock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2016, 01:52 PM   #7

They'll have plus and minus as u have said. When you go off road will you use the camper or have a Toad? I like the Class C or B option. Don't like setting up truck campers been there done that. In the end look at all your options and go from there.

Might want to rent a class c and see how you like.

best of luck on your choice and keep us updated.

WWR
wwron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2016, 05:45 AM   #8
Moderator Emeritus

Nor'easters Club
Fleetwood Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
US Navy Vet.
Bruce C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2016, 05:54 AM   #9

Thor Owners Club
Solo Rvers Club
Mid Atlantic Campers
Ford Super Duty Owner
Welcome to irv2.com! There are pluses and minuses. Two that I can think of are that you will have better maneuverability in a truck camper in urban areas. But you will have more interior room in a small class c. Look into used rental class c's. That's what I did. Much cheaper initial cash outlay and/or payments. I've had mine for 4 years, 7k miles and 60 trips with no major issues.
Old 02-12-2016, 05:57 AM   #10

Winnebago Owners Club
The convenience of a C is unbeatable.

If you throw a Toad in the Mix-then the Truck Camper makes more sense.

Fooling with a Toad or unloading a bed camper really complicates your life.
Old 02-12-2016, 08:41 AM   #11

Sounds like a lot of driving. Which is nicer to drive? We have a 25 foot C on a Chevy chassis. It's okay for driving. I would not call it bad but it's not like a car either. I suspect a TC is about the same.

Personally I'd consider a Class B van, maybe a 4x4, but that's me.
Snowman9000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2016, 08:57 AM   #12

Monaco Owners Club
All depends on your use and size needs. A C can go ALOT OF mountain off road but not 4x4. A big slide in and you deal with a large truck for getting around and less water and storage. For m e a medium sized C with even an older jeep for a towed with a bike on the back would be perfect. I also like a made bed that I don't need to makeup every night, both will do there. A built in gen would be nice and also A/C. Also being single might a partner spot be needed, this takes storage space, or any hobby storage, fishing hunting photography cooking. Look and sit in a few rigs and dream of this being your ONLy space and decide.

LEN
Old 02-12-2016, 11:14 AM   #13

As others have said, it depends on how and where you will use it.

Our last RV was a TC which we had for 20+ years, and that purchase was based on our experience with the previous TC we had for 20+ years. The major differences were adding AC, a built in gen., and the largest water and holding tanks we could find because we are seldom where there are hookups. Both campers were 11.5' and both trucks were 3/4 ton SRW diesel 4X4 with manual transmissions. We put 200k+ miles on both of them. We never separated truck from camper unless at home and often used the TC to run around in. After a few years we carried a Honda CT 90 on the front of the truck and for about the last 15 years have towed a Samurai then a Tracker, sometimes with a CT 90 or S-90 on one or both ends of the toad. We have also carried bicycles on both toad and TC, depending on what we were going to do.

IMHO, a 4WD TC can cover some fairly rough terrain with care and within reason, but it is in no way a rock climbing vehicle, limited mostly by height and overhang. Tie downs must be loosened some on rough terrain or the flexing of the truck can damage the tie down attach points of the camper.

We recently got a 26' class A MH which has not been tested at this point. It will also tow the Tracker, Metro, Spitfire, or bike, depending on what we plan to do. The main differences I can see between the TC and MH are larger storage space, water/holding/fuel capacities, and the amazing visibility from the front while driving the MH.

Whatever you choose, my preferences would be with AC, built in gen, fridge, stove, sink, microwave, shower/toilet, and the the largest water, holding, fuel, propane capacities available.

Just my 2c.

Steve
dix39 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2016, 01:12 PM   #14

Personally, I would go with a C cab. Of course there are a host of 4x4 class B Sprinter based coaches out now, including the Era from Winny.
Scatterbrain is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
class c