Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class C Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 06-08-2016, 11:56 AM   #1

Help a Newbie

My husband and I are seriously thinking of sticking our big toe in the water of RV living...full time, selling it all, traveling the country, ok maybe that's not our big toe but a big splash. Actually don't know where to start except I'm researching online, joining this forum to learn more and get real life advice. I'll be doing most of the driving, husband is not in great physical shape with knee issues, we want to be able to tow a car, looking at Class C cause I don't want to drive a bus, need help with the best brands, lowest maintenance costs, helpful tips, the good, the bad and the ugly......and GO!!!

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-08-2016, 01:00 PM   #2

Glad to see that you have joined us here in the forum.

I can't recommend a class C. However, if you are planning to full time, make sure that the size and floor plan are what you need. Consider the size of the storage areas and will they fit your needs. I know you indicated that you don't to drive a bus, but the difference in driving a large class C and a small class A is not that much.
I don't know where you are from and how much of a hurry you're in. I would however, try to attend one of the big RV shows where you can see all the different models and get a feel for what's right for you. The 2 big ones on the east coast are Hershey Pa in Sept. and the Tampa Fl. show in Jan. Or go to as many dealers as you can and sit in them for a while.

Happy Trails!!!

Old 06-08-2016, 09:23 PM   #3

Gas (Ford) chassis Class C: best manufacturers are small job shops like Born Free and Coach House. Expensive compared to mass produced models of Forest River for example. A larger, say 29-31 ft., Born Free or Coach House can run $170,000 plus depending upon options. Forest River Class C will run less than half of that (purchase price not MSRP). Born Free is the only manufacturer I know of that installs roll bars in the coach when being built in case the rig is in a bad accident and rolls. You can go to YouTube.com and search for their videos.

Some folks are starting to use diesel class c's built on the Mercedes Sprinter chassis to full time. These MH's are approximately 25 ft. in length. Quality producers are Pleasure-way and Leisure Travel Vans. New purchase prices approximately $120,000-$130,000. MSRP's $140,000-$150,000. YouTube videos also exist for these manufacturers.

The Sprinter chassis will have a less gross vehicle weight rating than the Ford gas chassis but folks flat tow small cars behind them and use the cars to gain additional storage. A typical Sprinter MH will have a OCCC rating in the range of 900 to 1,600 pounds.
Old 06-08-2016, 09:35 PM   #4

Tiffin Owners Club
Welcome to the forum!

Big plans take a lot of planning. There is a lot to look at out there and don't be tempted to buy until you are sure about what you want. Some dealerships are very high pressure and want to make you a deal today and today only. Walk away.

The main issue with a class C is the storage area. You could probably drive a class A.

Good luck with your search and have fun.
LarrytheBear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2016, 11:39 PM   #5

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by jrd37415 View Post
My husband and I are seriously thinking of sticking our big toe in the water of RV living...full time, selling it all, traveling the country, ok maybe that's not our big toe but a big splash. Actually don't know where to start except I'm researching online, joining this forum to learn more and get real life advice. I'll be doing most of the driving, husband is not in great physical shape with knee issues, we want to be able to tow a car, looking at Class C cause I don't want to drive a bus, need help with the best brands, lowest maintenance costs, helpful tips, the good, the bad and the ugly......and GO!!!
I would sure keep my mind open to a Class A. Depending on floor plan/model, you have a lot more storage for full timing. It's not that hard to drive one and there are several top notch driving schools to teach you everything you need to know.
windsorbill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2016, 11:58 PM   #6

Just be careful and verify your towing options with the rv salesperson and the tow car manufacturer. We bought a class c then we're told couldn't tow either of our vehicles. Had to do quite a bit of research and money to allow to tow. Once you get that done. ...enjoy. definitely shop around for options like in motion satellite and wifi. We were able to find it for 1/2 what rv dealer wanted, totally by accident. We had the bedroom window limo tinted and just happened to mention the wifi and satellite. ...
Old 06-09-2016, 12:08 AM   #7

Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kacber400 View Post
Just be careful and verify your towing options with the rv salesperson and the tow car manufacturer. We bought a class c then we're told couldn't tow either of our vehicles. Had to do quite a bit of research and money to allow to tow. Once you get that done. ...enjoy. definitely shop around for options like in motion satellite and wifi. We were able to find it for 1/2 what rv dealer wanted, totally by accident. We had the bedroom window limo tinted and just happened to mention the wifi and satellite. ...
So, you believed a salesman when he told you your vehicles were towable?
When we went looking for a towable vehicle we went right to the manufacturer, not the salesmen at the car dealer. Got it in writing direct from Honda and even then Honda legal dept. tried to back out.
Mr_D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2016, 12:12 AM   #8

It's really great though. Insurance is inexpensive. Use the coupons for the campgrounds they will give you. There are different levels of c class. Have someone that can climb up on the top to check the seals, make sure you get two sets of keys (that was an issue for us), extended valve stems for rear tires, how long has it sat on the lot, (we had to get new motor battery ) ha! We also were missing a remote for one of the tvs! All those things aside, we LOVE our forester. If you have pets, rules vary from place to place.
Old 06-09-2016, 12:25 AM   #9

We have a forest river forester. ..plenty of storage. Some under the "master bed" too. Consider how much the rv can tow vs how much tow vehicle weighs, Consider covering ac unit or anywhere wasps, etc might nest. (Only used when rv not running) girl I could go on and on!
Old 06-09-2016, 09:35 AM   #10

Thanks for all the help so far!!!

Thanks for all the help so far. I may be asking more questions as we get further into it. I really am scared of driving a Class A, but I'm a good driver so I'm sure I could figure it out. I'm definitely going to check all these different references.
Old 06-09-2016, 11:41 AM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by jrd37415 View Post
I'm not brand Newbie but new . We rented first. This way you get an idea on if this is really what you want. I'm so happy we rented first as we found the RV was way to smal. For us.
Old 06-10-2016, 12:43 AM   #12

We went back and forth between class C & A. Finally we sat down and listed our typical mission. We need to tow a car to get us down to the rivers where we fly fish. We settled on a small class A (26') because it was the best option to provide the power to safely tow our vehicle. In the 2 or so years we looked at RV's we were told on more than one occasion that the class C being showed to us could tow. As we then did our own research we found that was not the case. Anyhow I would keep an open mind, define your mission which will establish your requirements and then see which type and model best meets those needs.
Old 06-11-2016, 11:39 AM   #13

Winnebago Owners Club
Mid Atlantic Campers
Here's an excellent resource for towable dinghys. Downloadable Dinghy Guides | MotorHome Magazine
VAParrothead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2016, 02:06 PM   #14

Forest River Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
After looking around, my wife thought a Class A would be what we need. We started making a list of what we wanted and what would be deal breakers. We went to a large RV dealer and looked at some units, different makes - probably small to mid-sized A's. One thing my wife was adamant about was storage. She wanted the front bunk for storage. Much to her dismay, the units we looked at all had to have the bunk stowed for travel. Plus, the floorplan had to have the dinette and sofa on the same side. Better to watch TV together. Not having the availability of storage in the front bunk wouldn't work for her. As we were walking back to the showroom, I inquired about a Class C we were walking past. The salesperson said there was a Class C with the sofa and dinette on the same side; we looked at it and the wife was amazed. It had everything she wanted plus the 4-door refrigerator. And I am constantly amazed at how much storage there is inside and out on our Class C.
So, yeah, go out and look and ask questions. But don't take everything a salesperson says as gospel. Do some checking after you talk to a dealer. GOOD dealers will not pressure you. Make it enjoyable, not a chore.

DaGrinch is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags