Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class C Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 08-09-2016, 01:37 AM   #1

Help! Electrical Issue

We are camping. Electric site running AC, fridge, and microwave. On Saturday we suddenly lost shore power while running microwave. Hubby checked circuits, nothing tripped. Generator ran but would not output any power. After much troubleshooting he found no power is at inverter. Generator will no longer start (we have gas) and house batteries not charging. We were running fridge off propane but it appears to have now lost power also (no lights on it). We are persevering...it's kinda like tent camping. Any idea what could be wrong? We have spotty internet at best so if you ask a question and I don't respond, I have no cell service. Any insight is greatly appreciated.

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-09-2016, 03:38 AM   #2

Winnebago Owners Club
Vintage RV Owners Club
Have to make some assumptions. Assumption #1--You don't have a transfer switch that automatically switches from shore power to generator. You have to manually move the plug.

If this is correct check for a broken wire in the male plug head of the hook up wire. There was a recent thread on this or some related site describing your same situation lately with this outcome.

Old 08-09-2016, 06:01 AM   #3

2004 Four Winds 5000 23A. I do not think we manually move a plug (hubby is asleep). I know he looked for a transfer switch but couldn't find one. During troubleshooting he unplugged shore power and plugged cord back in to camper. Generator started but still no power to coach. But as of yesterday afternoon it will no longer start.

We also looked for a main fuse I had read about but are unable to locate it either.

He has a little power tester with him and used it but it does not measure volts.
Old 08-09-2016, 06:24 AM   #4

I will look for broken wire and let you know.
Old 08-09-2016, 07:57 AM   #5

If you have a 30 amp to 15 amp dog-bone, check the pedestal power with something that is 15 amp. If that is working, then the problem is within the MH.

All the circuit breakers to include the shore power should be aggressively closed and then re-set. That is, make sure that breaker switch is actually closed before re-setting it. And double check to make sure it's the 30 amp breaker on pedestal and not the 50 amp breaker that you aggressively close before you re-set it.

Perhaps this link will help. http://www.your-rv-lifestyle.com/sho...t-working.html

Please let us know how you're doing.
Old 08-09-2016, 09:40 AM   #6

I cannot thank KAttkisson enough! It was the male prong. Hubby took the cover off and sure enough, a wire was not connected...and I think he said it was melted some? He cleaned up and rewired and it worked. We were planning to take it to the shop upon our return! This forum is awesome!
Old 08-09-2016, 09:42 AM   #7

We are still not going to run our AC and microwave at the same time again...just in case. We have had this camper for 3 years ... no idea why it happened.
Old 08-09-2016, 02:32 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by mlbeverlin View Post
On Saturday we suddenly lost shore power while running microwave. Hubby checked circuits, nothing tripped.
We just experienced the same thing. I have a 2011 Coachman Concorde 301SS and want to replace the main 30 amp power cord. Is this a DIY project or should it be left to the professional. My power cord disappears somewhere into the chassis. I have contacted FR for some diagrams.
Old 08-09-2016, 08:18 PM   #9

Quote:
We are still not going to run our AC and microwave at the same time again...just in case. We have had this camper for 3 years ... no idea why it happened.
It was caused by the fact that the microwave, the A/C and the 120v/12v converter, and the fridge loaded the plug to its max of 30 amps. Electrical equipment is not made to be used at 100% for anything but a short period of time. Get a new plug for the cord, not one of those cheesy yellow Camco plugs either, but at the very least, get a Leviton TT30 plug from Lowes or Home Depot, or better yet, get a really good plug from Progressive Industries.

Progressive Industries RV Surge and Electrical Protection industry lea

While you are at it, get one of their EMS HW-30C Electrical Management System (EMS) boxes installed, which has a remote display you mount in the coach and allows you to monitor the Volts, cycles, and amps you are drawing, and also displays error codes when you plug in to a power outlet that is improperly wired or has too high/low volts or cycles. Lifetime warranty and cheap insurance. It will provide surge protection, and will deny power when it is too high/low volts/freqs.

I got mine from Tweetys for $222 shipped.

Progressive Industries RV Surge and Electrical Protection industry lea

Charles
2007 Winnebago View 523H on a 2006 Dodge (Daimler-Chrysler aka Mercedes) Sprinter 3500 chassis. Bought Sept 2015 with 18K miles on it, Prog Ind HW30C, Prog Dymanics PD4645, Chill Grille, PML/Yourcovers.com deep alum trans pan, AutoMeter 8558 trans temp gauge, Roadmaster sway bar, Fantastic Ultra Breeze hood, added OEM parabolic mirrors and RH aspherical mirror.
2007 Winnebago View 523H, 2006 Dodge (Daimler-Chrysler aka Mercedes) Sprinter 3500 chassis. Bought Sept 2015 with 18K miles, Prog Ind HW30C, Prog Dynamics PD4645, Chill Grille, Fanstatic Fan Ultrabreeze, PML/Yourcovers.com deep alum trans pan, Roadmaster sway bar
CharlesinGA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2016, 05:02 AM   #10

Winnebago Owners Club
Vintage RV Owners Club
Glad to hear that your immediate problem is solved.

Have you ever run the camper with the Generator? You stated that you had searched for a transfer switch and not found it. If you have run the camper with the generator and not had to plug in at an alternate location then you have a transfer switch somewhere. If you have not attempted to run with the generator and as you state have no output from the generator at present then I am willing to bet you have an alternate female plug for the power cord somewhere on the rig. I suggest if this is the case that when you carry it to the shop that you have them go over the operation on the system with you. This is basic for your use of the camper.

I bring this up as you are more likely to find a class C without a switch then with one.
Old 08-10-2016, 05:23 AM   #11

Newmar Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Quote:
I cannot thank KAttkisson enough! It was the male prong. Hubby took the cover off and sure enough, a wire was not connected...and I think he said it was melted some? He cleaned up and rewired and it worked. We were planning to take it to the shop upon our return! This forum is awesome!
Things like this happen when a connection is not tight. Especially when you mention the melted insulation. It's a good idea to check ALL your electrical connections at least once a year. Electricity creates heat and as silly as it may sound, that heat expands and contracts within a conductor. It will back off a screw tightness over time. Be sure all power is OFF when checking your connections. Take the panel cover off inside the coach and tighten each screw at all termination points. Main line coming in, individual breakers and the neutral and ground wires. Good luck and hope all stays on the safe side from here on out. Happy travels and Be Safe!
Steve N Sal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2016, 12:47 PM   #12

We have used the generator at baseball tournaments with no problem. From what has been said, I assume all was well because the power cord was plugged into the outlet inside the cord storage area. When I told my husband about maybe it could be a loose connection he said that would make sense...he didn't think of it in all the frustration.

All connections should be good now because it appears he checked everything, well, except the cord itself. He worked for quite a while...started at the generator and worked his way inside.

I do not know what kind of adaptor (?) we have but I know it is black, not yellow. My husband left the campground a couple hours after me but I will look when we are cleaning camper this weekend.

I will have him read the suggestions you guys have given. I am so thankful...you saved our trip. It sure was getting hot inside the camper!
Old 08-12-2016, 09:19 PM   #13

Quote:
We have used the generator at baseball tournaments with no problem. From what has been said, I assume all was well because the power cord was plugged into the outlet inside the cord storage area. When I told my husband about maybe it could be a loose connection he said that would make sense...he didn't think of it in all the frustration.

All connections should be good now because it appears he checked everything, well, except the cord itself. He worked for quite a while...started at the generator and worked his way inside.

I do not know what kind of adaptor (?) we have but I know it is black, not yellow. My husband left the campground a couple hours after me but I will look when we are cleaning camper this weekend.

I will have him read the suggestions you guys have given. I am so thankful...you saved our trip. It sure was getting hot inside the camper!
The most important thing you can do is buy a Progressive Industries EMS-PT30C Portable RV Surge. I prefer the portable because you can take it with you if you sell one RV for another, if it fails you can remove it from the circuit and you can actually use it between your generator and house in the power cable storage space. The built in works well too, but if it fails removing it from the circuit is a bit of a problem.

This thing will save you a lot of heart ache, saving your appliances if there is a power problem and when it comes to trouble shooting the system.
Old 08-15-2016, 06:54 PM   #14

Slightly different subject. Our RV house battery setup has a BUSS AMG 150A, 32V fuse mounted in the battery compartment. This fuse is a thick sheet cooper screw holed (2) and black plastic molded over actual fuse. Problem was when it went, all 12v was gone. Lucky PO left a spare. So now i need another spare and have to order since it is not a stocking item, and we are in Canada on vacation.

Whatever system you have make certain you have a replacement fuse or relay or circuit breaker.

Tags
electrical