Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class C Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 12-22-2018, 07:57 PM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pipebndr View Post
I love them old RV’s, I made a lot of money. I owned a repair shop and when the customer came in and said they wanted a safety check I said sure. Never saw an estimate less than $3000.00 that was over 20 years old with low mileage to get it road worthy. When an RV has low mileage it has had tim e to stiffen up, freeze up, rust up and rot. Wheel cylinders, belts, hoses, suspension bushings, etc, etc. This isn’t even starting on the coach side, refrigerator, heater, dry rot, the list can go on. My recommendation is run away, as a matter fact I would call Uber and get out of town. I was in the RV repair business and when someone said I just got a deal on an older motorhome with 20,000 miles My heart went out to them. Rubber rots, brake lines deteriorate, wheel cylinders freeze or start leaking. Engine seals are hard and dry. My recommendation was to them was get out of it. Most did, some didn’t but they wished they would have. It’s not a project most can do at home. Fourty years in business and saw the same pattern every spring. Run, don’t walk but run as fast as you can or just set aside $10,000 for the next year for repairs. You may be that lucky one and get by, most didn’t. Being honest with my customers is why I stayed in business so long. Some thought I was nuts, most came around and referred there friends. The money made was when most guys couldn’t admit they made a poor choice and wouldn’t cut there loses.
^100%^
Houdoxi71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-22-2018, 08:03 PM   #16

I believe you have a 99.95% chance of regret in buying that motor home. If you are determined to make it right (right enough) you will have far more into it than it would be worth to anyone else. Even for $1 (one dollar) it would be a bad investment. There is one exception. You might get some money for it from a junk yard. Plan on executing that option after you put money into it.

Keep in-mind that rig has a carbureted engine. Today's fuel with 10% ethanol does bad things to carbs. Even if you get it right, your fuel economy will be killing you in another way.

We are not pessimists here. Just Don't Do It.
Ron Dittmer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2018, 03:27 PM   #17

Outdoors RV Owners Club
I bet you can smell the mold from outside. There will be nothing salvageable.
keymastr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2018, 06:46 PM   #18

The resale market on a near 50 year old camper is almost zero. The market for anything much older than mid 90s is very low. Do yourself a favor, and dont do it. If you are not mechanically inclined, the bills will add up quickly. Even if you can fix it yourself, the bills will add up quickly. If you are considering a rv, look for something much newer than that one. Tires alone will be 2 grand. Dont do it.

Tags
dodge