Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class C Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 05-11-2012, 02:15 PM   #15

Maddie, it might be well worth your while to do some browsing around south of the border.

From what I've seen prices on a lot of stuff is below average in the north west. I suspect it's because it's so far physically from the big population centers.

I was recently surfing through the offerings on flea-bay, it seemed the prices were on average several thousand bucks less in the north west than most of the east coast.
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-26-2012, 05:46 AM   #16

Hi, Maddie!
I thought I'd offer some of my experience as an over 2 year full-timer aboard a CLASS C.

#1 - Choose a LAZY DAZE brand RV, I would highly recommend them. (we have one, love it, high quality build, attention to detail etc.)

Regarding Water & Leaks. I've never known a Class C NOT to have a leak in the front window (grrr). Ours did (it's a 1988), we recaulked the seams and have been good ever since. BUT- for your further inspections, press your fingers around the corners of the windows, vents, and ceiling. If it presses in, you have signs of water damaged underneath the surface.

Tires - A very good investment. Find out the age from the previous owner. Try and see the DATE of purchase, that will let you know how old they are. Ours had good tread but had been sitting, resulting in cracking/checking of the rubber. Ended up blowing 2 tires, one after the other. Causing major under carriage and interior damage. Scary & costly. Not to mention being on the side of the road in a town we're unfamiliar with. If they appear old, even with ok tread, on a 1980's/90's rv with low mileage... Tires are likely to be OLD.

Good luck and enjoy your travels!
Old 05-26-2012, 11:17 PM   #17

Thanks so much! That's helpful. I'm seeing one tomorrow and will try for sure to find out the age of the tires.
Maddie123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2012, 08:51 AM   #18

Ford Super Duty Owner
Send a message via Yahoo to Davinger
Determining the age of a tire

On the side of every tire there should a DOT code and in a small oval next to it you will find a set of letters and 3 to 4 numbers. It is those numbers that you are looking at. Tires have a shelf life and that is generally 5 to 6 years maximum. After that the rubber inside the tire starts to break down and become rigid. Once that happens the belts can come off as soon as the tire reaches road temperature. Hence the main reason you will see large strips of tread in the road.

The tires date code is 3 or 4 numbers the first 2 numbers are the week the tire was made. The numbers will be between 01 and 52. The next 1 or 2 numbers will be the year the tire was made. 0 though 9 will mean 2000 for 00 and 2009 for 9. 10 to 12 should be self explanatory. If the tires are more than 5 years old you will need a new set of tires soon.

This brings up the next thing in tire safety you NEED to know. Not all tires can support the weight of an RV. There are letters the show the load range and I would expect that the letter would be at least an E if not higher. Higher load range tires do cost more but they are worth it in the long run. Remember to check the tire pressure often as properly inflated tires will save you gas. GOOD LUCK!
Davinger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2012, 08:32 AM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by Davinger View Post
The tires date code is 3 or 4 numbers the first 2 numbers are the week the tire was made. The numbers will be between 01 and 52. The next 1 or 2 numbers will be the year the tire was made. 0 though 9 will mean 2000 for 00 and 2009 for 9. 10 to 12 should be self explanatory. If the tires are more than 5 years old you will need a new set of tires soon.
WOW! this would have saved me a lot of money/headache/breakdowns.
We didn't know the actual age of our tires and questioned IF we should get new ones (YES WE SHOULD HAVE BEFORE BLOWING TWO). Both lost the complete tread in one giant piece.

Our two flats (and tows, and body damage) could have been prevented.

GREAT GREAT INFO. I feel like I want to broadcast this to the world.