Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class C Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 04-01-2015, 02:25 PM   #1

Help Mopar people! Identify this thing and carb help please

I never claim to know it all or even most but this is stumping me. What is this thing sitting over the valve cover with the wires and the vac line, its unplugged from the vac on one end and the other end is an open hose to no where. It has two wires going to it.

Also I have a carb that is running well in idle and even cold start but as soon as you give it a little gas in gear she dies. if you baby it up to speed she is fine on the highway.

Any ideas?

skyisme is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-01-2015, 02:31 PM   #2

Winnebago Owners Club
if it goes to a Charcoal Canister-it is an emission Control item

If it goes to an air valve (shutoff or open) it probably has to do with heating or cooling systems

PS- Plug the vacuum lines so there is no air leak-it will cause the engine to run terrible if there is a manifold air leak
Deny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2015, 02:41 PM   #3

I can't find where either end was suspose to go

I can't find where either end is suppose to go. Baffeled on that one.

I don't believe I am getting a vac leak, it ran good for 3 hours driving it home got about 9mpg according to the math, and that was up and down the mountains on i68.

its just when I give it gas a bit like a dead area. even when going down the road if I was coasting and put my foot in that area of pedal it would not give it power.

I am thinking its fuel / air issue from the carb. but could it be fuel pressure? maybe a pump? I looked at the pump it looks like it was replaced at some point in the past few years.
Old 04-02-2015, 07:39 AM   #4

Ford Super Duty Owner
What year and engine is it?

As for the dead spot, With the engine off, maybe look at the accelerator pump in the carb. If you look down the carb, give it a quick gas and you should see a small spray.

As for the "thing" where do the wires go? I was thinking a vacuum controlled dashpot, but I'm not familiar with mopar.
Waiter21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2015, 08:36 AM   #5

It looks like there should be a vac line coming off the top of that gizmo. idk.

As for the carb, either your primary jets are clogged, or you have a vac leak. That's why it idles and will run once going, but nothing much in-between. Could be one in the same problem if that gizmo is opening the vac line.
I think I'd pull the bottom vacuum line and plug it. See how she runs then.
Todd157k is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2015, 08:43 AM   #6

Ford Super Duty Owner
Todd, I think there is a vacuum port on the top of that thing also -

I looked thru 1970ish photos and didn't see anything that looked similar.

I wonder if it gets powered up? maybe check the voltage and see if there is any correlation with temperature or throttle movement or AC control setting.

My thought was a vacuum controlled dashpot, i.e. increases idle when AC is on or maybe temperature (cold start and idle)
Old 04-02-2015, 09:07 AM   #7

Still tinkering

It's a 1978 I don't think it has emissions Controls. There is no place i can find an open vac port. The other side of the vac line is just a hose sitting there. I can tell you this, the hoses line up if I take the vac off the advance from the distributor it will reach this thing and the vac line from the thing will reach and fit the port. But i don't think that's right.

I can't find a vac leak, I have looked arround.

I have not tried to follow the wires yet.

I have checked the vac Avance on the distributor, it's working and holding.

I did just clean the carb out, but i have not restarted it, I cranked it but it's dry, i cranked it a bunch I am not sure but I assume it should have filled up my then. I don't like to add u metered fuel in to start a dry carb, you can mess that up easily.

Anyone know how fast that thing should fill up from the fuel pump on crank?

Maybe my fuel pump is going out.

Oh and for the vac leak there is no hissing and she can sit at idle all day no problem. Also the cold start functions correctly. And I know I can hear the acceleration pump work, before I cleaned it, but i don't think the throw on it was correct. How much should the raise be set on the pump? It's barley raised at all but i can manually work it and hear it work.
Old 04-02-2015, 10:51 AM   #8

Ford Super Duty Owner
I think you should see the accel pump working by looking down into the throat of the carb.

The "Thing":

It could be vac advance disable, I know in Calif many years ago (1980ish) they required NoxBox retrofit on vehicles coming in from out of state. I believe these disable vac advance under certain conditions..

Check to see where it gets power from, It could be a dash pot (holds idle high) for the Air Conditioner.
Old 04-02-2015, 07:42 PM   #9

well

Well, ok I found some reference to a vac solonoid (crap can't spell) running from there to a heater box. It was a diagram from an 77 hd 360 . The carb also come from that model. I am wondering if it's a swap motor or if it's normal. I am going to search the hvac box, as the in dash heater, is not working right. I hear it blowing, just not blowing right. maybe vac blend door? Not sure if that's what it is or not.

Also should the fuel pump have left residual fuel in the line when off? I pulled the carb off to see if there was a blockage and there was not any fuel in the line (strange) there was fuel in the carb. Open cleaning and putting it back on (no rebuild yet) it is not filling up with fuel on crank. I can see the fuel in the filter, surging small fuel then it drains off as it's cranked. When off it drains back fast. I think that sounds bad for the pump right? pump is only 28 bucks with warranty. Why not...
Old 04-03-2015, 05:15 AM   #10

Ford Super Duty Owner
Fuel pump shouldn't drain back, but on the carb it shouldn't matters as there is enough fuel in the bowl to run for a short time.

This is one of those deals where age is worst than miles.

However, given the cost and age of the vehicle, probably would hurt to replace it Save the old one as a backup
Old 04-03-2015, 06:13 AM   #11

It's on the way

Carb is not filling new pump on the way. Float valve is open so it should be filling. Anyhow.. found specs on accelerator pump as well the rod was in wrong hole, and the pump stroke was off as well. Probably got knocked off during a service.

Side note anyone know how to find a block number? As in its location? I am convinced this was a rebuilt swap at this point. It makes no difference to me, I just want the history.
Old 04-03-2015, 08:44 AM   #12

Ford Super Duty Owner
Excellent, slowly knocking the items off the list. :-)
Old 04-07-2015, 10:30 AM   #13

I agree the carb issue when you give it throttle is most likely a non-functioning accelerator pump. That is why you can slowly give throttle and it is OK, but more sudden throttle it hesitates. Once you get the fuel pump on and the carb is full of fuel, with engine off and remove air cleaner, you should see a squirt of gas when you open the throttle. That squirt is your accelerator pump.

As for that vacuum solenoid off the valve cover, no idea. You should have vacuum advance hooked up to the carb or manifold vacuum source. Manifold is usually better than ported vacuum. Best idea I have is chase the vacuum line and see where it goes, and the electrical. It appears to be some sort of vacuum control, for what is the question.
38Chevy454 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2015, 10:50 AM   #14

Monaco Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Make sure the old pump didn't pump fuel into the crankcase. and contaminate the oil.

Mike