Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class C Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 08-19-2014, 02:13 PM   #1

Question Help Please?! - Coachmen Power Issue

My FIL just purchased a 1999 Coachmen Pathfinder Sport. He is new to the rving world (as are we) & had some issues on his first outing. We have the Owner's Manual but have not been able to find the detailed info we're in need of. (Like I said, we're all new to this so we need it broken down for us...haha).
Here's the problem...he has power to everything when he has a shoreline connection. When on generator, he has no A/C, no microwave & no outlets power. They've replaced breakers, fuses & the battery to no avail. What are we missing?? Can anyone tell me where the converter would be located on this rv? If anyone could tell us the location of all the breakers, switches, etc that would be fantastic!
Thanks in advance for any help you can throw our way! My FIL has waited many years for this rv experience & we want it to be enjoyable for him.

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-19-2014, 02:23 PM   #2

In order to power the RV from the gen set , you need a power transfer switch OR, in the case of less expensive RVs an outlet near the power cord where you plug the power cord in to get the gen set power to the interior of the RV.
Look around the power cord bay for a 30 amp outlet, to plug into.

Old 08-20-2014, 12:51 AM   #3

Workhorse Chassis Owner
Forest River Owners Club
What Skip said.
We have a 2013 Coachman Freelander. There is a 30 amp receptacle in our electric cord storage bay that we plug the shore power cord into when ever we stow it. This is how our unit gets power from the generator (i.e. you are the 'transfer switch').

Paul
Big Dog House On Wheels
2013 Coachmen Freelander 28QB
on 2012 Chevrolet 4500
Using iRV2 app
B D HOWie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2014, 11:12 PM   #4

Thanks for the tips

We're going over tomorrow evening to try to help him get it figured out. I'm not aware of him unplugging anything & everything worked fine (on all types of power) when he picked it up 2 weeks ago. I was under the impression it switched over automatically. Like I said, we're going to give it another go tomorrow so, fingers crossed it's something simple.
Any ideas on where we could locate the converter (and/or inverter)?
Old 08-21-2014, 05:51 AM   #5

Workhorse Chassis Owner
Forest River Owners Club
Help Please?! - Coachmen Power Issue

Check your GFI receptacle it may be tripped, though since he has power when on shore connection this is unlikely. GFI breakers typically located in bath.
There may be a breaker on generator.

Paul
Big Dog House On Wheels
on 2012 Chevrolet 4500
Using iRV2 app
Old 08-21-2014, 05:56 AM   #6
Community Administrator

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
There may be a circuit breaker directly on the genset that may need resetting. My Onan. 5500 had two.

Cliff,Tallulah and Buddy ( 1999-2012 )
Clifftall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2014, 06:00 AM   #7

Ford Super Duty Owner
Send a message via Yahoo to Davinger
I had the exact same problem with my coach and I found the answer! The generator has a breaker on it. It is usually near the bottom and near the manual start switch. It looks like an unassuming black toggle try throwing it and see what happens. If everything works when the shore power is hooked up but nothing except the lights and minor things that are hooked up to the house battery it isn't a fuse or a GFI.
Old 08-21-2014, 11:29 PM   #8

Thumbs up Mission Accomplished!!

We now have power to everything! woo hoo
Apparently it was the breaker/toggle switch on the generator. Hubby flipped it & I reset the GFI (just in case) & everything was back to normal. Thank you for all the tips, suggestions, etc...you guys ROCK! Daddy-O is now a "happy camper"...well, he will be once he gets it shined up & stocked up...lol.
Still not sure where the converter is. We found something that could be it but it doesn't look like any of the pictures I was comparing it to. Planning on checking behind the breaker panel as someone on another forum suggested. But for now, we're just happy he's back in business!
Thanks again!
Old 08-22-2014, 05:24 AM   #9
Community Administrator

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Thanks for the update. Glad you found it.

Cliff,Tallulah and Buddy ( 1999-2012 )
Clifftall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2014, 05:49 AM   #10

Workhorse Chassis Owner
Forest River Owners Club
What is the brand of your breaker panel? Our panel has two screws inside the fuse cover that hold the total panel cover in place. Remove them the entire cover comes off and converter is exposed below the fuse/breaker panel. Our panel is a W..co. Sorry not at unit so i can not look for name.

Paul
Big Dog House On Wheels
on 2012 Chevrolet 4500
Using iRV2 app
Old 08-25-2014, 09:46 AM   #11

Ford Super Duty Owner
Send a message via Yahoo to Davinger
I'm not sure what you're talking about. A converter or are you talking about an inverter? An inverter is used to convert the 6 or 12 volt batteries into normal socket level power for a short time so you can use one or two electric appliances in your coach at a time. If you are looking for that the control panel for it will be in your master control panel where you have most of your coach switches like your slide out extenders and generator starters. If you don't have an inverter you may not want to get one on a class C because of the limited space for battery banks. Most new class C coaches come with a single deep cycle 12 volt battery usually a group size 24M you can upgrade it to a group size 27M which will give you a little more time but unless you want to start dropping batteries into your storage compartments just use the generator.
Old 08-26-2014, 08:40 AM   #12

Forest River Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Hi.
You don't have a inverter on your RV.
It's not standard equipment for the Freelander but it is for the Leprechaun.

2010 Coachmen Freelander 30Qb
E450 Ford V10
Old 08-26-2014, 11:41 AM   #13

Thanks for the update. We're glad the fix was an easy one.

Old 08-27-2014, 11:01 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by B D HOWie View Post
What is the brand of your breaker panel? Our panel has two screws inside the fuse cover that hold the total panel cover in place. Remove them the entire cover comes off and converter is exposed below the fuse/breaker panel. Our panel is a W..co. Sorry not at unit so i can not look for name.

Paul
Big Dog House On Wheels
on 2012 Chevrolet 4500
Using iRV2 app
I'm not sure what the brand is but I think that's where this one is too. Next time we're over there I'm going to check it out (just to satisfy my curiousity...lol).

Tags
coachmen, power