Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class C Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 08-22-2015, 11:47 AM   #1

Vintage RV Owners Club
Send a message via AIM to Ryegal
Help Please with harness wire

I have a 1975 Barth class C and the harness wire from the rear of the coach to the back of the engine got cut. what are they called ? what does it affect ? and what kind of shop do I take it to to get it fixed? Please help Thanks

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-22-2015, 12:00 PM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ryegal View Post
I have a 1975 Barth class C and the harness wire from the rear of the coach to the back of the engine got cut. what are they called ? what does it affect ? and what kind of shop do I take it to to get it fixed? Please help Thanks

How many wires in the harness pack and what does it connect to on the back of the engine? and can you trace to see where it ends or connects on the back of your coach?

Will your engine run, and have you checked to see if your instrument gauges function and/or your tail, stop signal lights function on the back of your coach.?

If push comes to shove you may be able to reconnect the cut wires with a crimp type wire connectors.

Best of luck and keep us posted...

2000 Residency 3790 v10 w/tags 5 Star tune & Banks system Suzuki XL7 toad
LVJ58 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2015, 07:20 PM   #3

I have been a heavy duty mechanic for 60 years and the last thing I would advise anyone to do is use crimp type connectors on an exposed cable. Have you ever seen the green cancerish rot that gets into wiring when it is exposed to moisture? Once it gets started the whole harness will be junk. However no matter how many wires are in the harness it can be easily and permanently repaired with solder and heat shrink. If you are not comfortable doing this yourself, any good mechanic should be able to help you out,but if he suggests using butt type crimp connectors run away as fast as you can and find someone else.
Old 08-25-2015, 10:48 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by billdor View Post
I have been a heavy duty mechanic for 60 years and the last thing I would advise anyone to do is use crimp type connectors on an exposed cable. Have you ever seen the green cancerish rot that gets into wiring when it is exposed to moisture? Once it gets started the whole harness will be junk. However no matter how many wires are in the harness it can be easily and permanently repaired with solder and heat shrink. If you are not comfortable doing this yourself, any good mechanic should be able to help you out,but if he suggests using butt type crimp connectors run away as fast as you can and find someone else.
+1 on solder and shrink wrap. Only type of wiring repair I recommend and teach. Glad to see others know the right way to repair wiring.
Old 08-26-2015, 06:33 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by hoakken View Post
+1 on solder and shrink wrap. Only type of wiring repair I recommend and teach. Glad to see others know the right way to repair wiring.
Yes ,Yes and YES!!! might take longer but you'll only do it once
Old 08-26-2015, 12:23 PM   #6

Rexhall Owners Group
Concur...however, if the severed wiring harness affects brake lights and turn signals, a crimps or wire nuts would be a short term solution in order to get it to a shop.

If you want to tackle it yourself, you need soldering iron, flux, solder, wire strippers, heat shrink tubing, and a heat gun. All of this can be had for under $50.00 at Harbor Freight.

There are many videos on YouTube that show how to solder wires. Here is an example:
John USA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2015, 12:32 PM   #7

Winnebago Owners Club
Vintage RV Owners Club
X4 on the solder and shrink wrap.
As Charles said quite succinctly
"I do it once and I do it well, and I do it properly"
Old 08-27-2015, 07:29 PM   #8

Vintage RV Owners Club
Send a message via AIM to Ryegal
Thank you all for all the information.

Thank you all. It was all very good information and Ill keep you updated when I know. I moved it to another shop this am as the other guy didn't do and would not do the wiring. the place I took it to had a good idea what was going on.There is a lot more to do besides the wiring. Before this I knew little about anything under the hood. It has been a very expensive lesson but I sure know more now The shop I sent it to today makes me already feel better. Again Thank you so much it is deeply appreciated. till we meetagain
Old 08-28-2015, 09:16 AM   #9

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
What it affects can be many things.. Lights and fuel pump are the primaries (if it has an in-tank fuel pump) depending on where cut.
If you clean the wires (if they are dirty) each wire is color coded.

Match the codes Slip some heat shrink over the wires.. Strip (Very little) and solder like colors together (There should only be one of each color/pattern) and insulate with heat shrink..

NOTE: If the wires are in an area where cutting or tearing is a risk slip a length of hose (Plastic or rubber over the entire bundle before splicing, slip a length of IRON PIPE over that, then splice as above, test and if happy slide the hose and iron pipe into position to protect and use pipe hanger to hold it in place.

Why RV makers run wires through wheel wells without that kind of protection I'll never know.