Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class C Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 03-17-2019, 08:01 AM   #1

Help, pros and cons on tow dolly vs flatbed trailer?

Hello all,
I would really appreciate your feedback as to the pros and cons to make the correct purchase the first time.
I have a 2018 VW Beetle. Front wheel drive.
I am trying to decide between a tow dolly or a flat bed trailer to tow behind my 2004 Itasca 24 foot class C. I also have a large touring motorcycle Yamaha Venture, but don't know if we want to tow that as the beetle is a convertible.

I know your experiences, opinions will help with my decision.

Thanks
Dogman24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-17-2019, 08:28 AM   #2

I use a trailer. Saves wear and tear on the vehicle. Advantage, you can back up any time you want. In 7 years only a couple times did I have to drop the trailer at a camp ground. I'm a total 52 ft long and haven't had any problems finding/getting into any camp grounds. That's a lot of states and camp grounds, 92000 miles. Down side, where to keep trailer when home and you become friends with people that need you to move a vehicle.
A32Deuce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2019, 08:39 AM   #3

Country Coach Owners Club
Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Used a dolly to tow a '95 Honda Odyssey behind a Type C MH. Traded to a gas Type A and towed different cars. Traded to a new DP and towed various cars. Then traded the DP for a new one. Again dolly towing several different front wheel drive vehicles. So lots of experience dolly towing but no car trailer. If you aren't going to take the bike I'd get a dolly. There are also dollies that are extended that will carry a bike in front.
Mr_D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2019, 03:24 PM   #4

Trailer and take the bike too!
mikeh2obury is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2019, 07:21 PM   #5

Wink Take the bike... leave the VW

I tow my Indian Springfield in a 6 X 10' cargo trailer {14' overall} making my total length 38' 6". If you have, and bring, a nice bike you really don't have much need for a Toad. The cargo trailer also sucks up a bunch of gear from my 24' Class C which balances the overall load nicely.

Capt Steve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2019, 07:29 PM   #6

The tow dolly will cost less, weigh less, have negligible tongue weight on the hitch, and be easier to store when not in use. How about taking the motorcycle in a small enclosed trailer that you can also store other stuff in and leave the beetle home? I didn’t enjoy strapping the front tires to the dolly with my Hyundai Veloster, the Beetle May also be a snug fit under the fenders, you may get a little dirty. I put my Can Am Spyder (trike) inside a 12’ cargo trailer
Dynadave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2019, 07:53 PM   #7

Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Location: Kamloops, BC, 60 miles from the Center of the Universe according to the Rinpoche, of the SF monks.
How about your max towing weight? might be creeping over by a bit. Get a dolly, and a bike trailer. Bike for shorter trips and nice weather. Dolly and VW for longer trips and possible wet weather.
I take the Ranger with bicycles or a bike on longer trips.
This Summer I plan to take my VW for some short trips.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	SS100-5.jpg
Views:	95
Size:	229.2 KB
ID:	238456  
Happy Glamping, Norman & Elna. 2008 Winnebago Adventurer 38J, W24, dozens of small thirsty ponies. Retired after 40 years wrenching on trucks! 2010 Ford Ranger toad with bicycles or KLR 650 in the back. Easy to spot an RVer, they always walk around with a screwdriver or wrench in one hand!
Unplanned Tourist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2019, 08:13 PM   #8

I use a dolly and feel it is very easy. There are dollies with a design to carry a bike too. A trailer would be fine but would put a bigger tongue weight on you Class C.
Old 03-18-2019, 02:01 PM   #9

Thank you for the replies and pointers of the different benefits.
I guess I will just have to make a decision then start the hunt for it.
Dogman24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2019, 04:24 PM   #10

We do the same thing, are the same overall length now, and have had the same campground experiences. We are on our 3rd trailer (in 41 years). If your budget allows, an Aluminum trailer is much better than a heavy steel trailer.

Quote:
Originally Posted by A32Deuce View Post
I use a trailer. Saves wear and tear on the vehicle. Advantage, you can back up any time you want. In 7 years only a couple times did I have to drop the trailer at a camp ground. I'm a total 52 ft long and haven't had any problems finding/getting into any camp grounds. That's a lot of states and camp grounds, 92000 miles. Down side, where to keep trailer when home and you become friends with people that need you to move a vehicle.
2005 Safari (Monaco)Trek 28RB2, Workhorse W20, 8.1, Allison 1000 5 spd, UltraPower engine & tranny, Track bars & sway bars, KONI FSD, FMCA 190830, Safari Int'l. chapter. 1999 Safari Trek 2830, 1995 Safari Trek 2430, 1983 Winnebago Chieftain, 1976 Midas Mini
George Schweikle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2019, 08:19 AM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by George Schweikle View Post
We do the same thing, are the same overall length now, and have had the same campground experiences. We are on our 3rd trailer (in 41 years). If your budget allows, an Aluminum trailer is much better than a heavy steel trailer.
My steel trailer is only 1700 lbs. I did some research before I bought. Could not believe the weight of UHaul car trailers. Twice the weight of the one I bought!
Old 03-19-2019, 10:49 AM   #12

Winnebago Owners Club
Nor'easters Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
The curb weight of the Beetle is probably around 3,300 lbs. If the trailer, as stated above, is 1,700 lbs, then the total load is around 5K lbs. The tongue weight should be 10 - 15% of total weight, or about 500 to 750 lbs. This will get amplified at the rear axle. What is the rear axle load and capacity of your RV? Will it be overloaded with a trailer attached? All this needs to be considered when towing with an RV.
Rockwood27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2019, 02:02 PM   #13

If you want to take a motorcycle and your car at the same time, take a look at Landgrebe dollies.

https://www.towtrailer.com/

Otherwise the ACME dolly is a great lightweight option for just towing a car.

http://www.cartowdolly.com
Massparanoia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2019, 02:16 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rockwood27 View Post
The curb weight of the Beetle is probably around 3,300 lbs. If the trailer, as stated above, is 1,700 lbs, then the total load is around 5K lbs. The tongue weight should be 10 - 15% of total weight, or about 500 to 750 lbs. This will get amplified at the rear axle. What is the rear axle load and capacity of your RV? Will it be overloaded with a trailer attached? All this needs to be considered when towing with an RV.
Depends on how you load the car on the trailer.

Tags
dolly, tow, tow dolly, trailer