Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class C Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 06-25-2013, 10:40 PM   #1

Help the newbie, please

Greetings, we have just bought our first 'real' rv. We had been using an old '73 Indian for short trips to nearby campgrounds, but really could not trust it for longer trips. The family loved camping in it and we wanted to expand our horizons so we bought a 23' Freelander (the 21QB). Driving it is a dream compared to the old Indian, and I don't anticipate a lot of issues in the country, but I don't know what to expect as far as parking and access to things in more metropolitan locations. Any words of wisdom about how to plan trips into cities if you don't have another vehicle with you for city excursions would be greatly appreciated. How do you know or plan what is accessible to small rv's?

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-25-2013, 11:38 PM   #2

You might want to consider Rand McNally Tripmaker RVND 5510. This is a GPS built for RVs. We are new to this and have a 30' Freelander. We will have a toad to get around in. I have seen many people with the little motorized scooters. The GPS is available at Rand McNally's website and is considerably cheaper there.

BIJ6165 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2013, 04:54 PM   #3

Trips

If your going on long trip to specific location
without towing a toad. While staying a few days
and not having to unhook rv all the time, we rent
a small car to go site seeing. Sometime they are
only about $15. a day and really worth it.
Happy travels
taki44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2013, 05:05 PM   #4

Gulf Streamers Club

I'd suggest a bike rack if you're able. Enterprise Car Rental will bring the car to you. In cities take advantage of public transportation. Parking in metro areas is a hassle for cars, let alone an RV. Stay outside the city and use public transit.

Bob & Donna
'98 Gulf Stream Sun Voyager DP being pushed by a '00 Beetle TDI
BFlinn181 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2013, 12:33 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by BFlinn181 View Post

I'd suggest a bike rack if you're able. Enterprise Car Rental will bring the car to you. In cities take advantage of public transportation. Parking in metro areas is a hassle for cars, let alone an RV. Stay outside the city and use public transit.
How many people do you think rent car rather than pull a toad, my wife wants us to rent a car when we start traveling. I can see benefits and drawbacks.
Old 07-17-2013, 12:49 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom222 View Post
How many people do you think rent car rather than pull a toad, my wife wants us to rent a car when we start traveling. I can see benefits and drawbacks.
Hi CHanson and I know personally I wouldn't be comfortable driving an urban assualt vehicle in an urban environment. That's just me. I know some people are fearless but that's not me.

Hi Tom. You have to weigh your options on the toad vs rental. With the toad you will have payments if not paid for, insurance, gas and maintenance. It will be yours to drive as much as you want at your convenience. With the rental you will have rental cost and gas. You'll have to find a rental company and either have it delivered or pick it up at their convenience. The other factor is how often would you rent? If not that often you might be better off renting. I would check your month to month use of a car then make your decision from there. Good luck with whatever route you decide to go.

Didn't mean to hijack the thread, just helping.
Whatnobeer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2013, 03:44 PM   #7

Thor Owners Club
Solo Rvers Club
Mid Atlantic Campers
Ford Super Duty Owner
Welcome to the forum. Most urban areas are not RV friendly. I am going through the same dilema right now. When I get to a campground I am stuck there for the duration. I have had my girl friend follow me in her car so that we have a vehicle to get around in. Unhooking and then hooking back up seems like a lot of work. I am amassing the necessary components to tow my vehicle. However, I have estimated that it will cost $1000-1500 to do this. I got a tow bar cheap. And I plan to get a base plate for my vehicle next. Then it's the cables, electrical hookup and brake assist. Have fun with your RV!
Old 07-18-2013, 01:28 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Whatnobeer View Post

Hi CHanson and I know personally I wouldn't be comfortable driving an urban assualt vehicle in an urban environment. That's just me. I know some people are fearless but that's not me.

Hi Tom. You have to weigh your options on the toad vs rental. With the toad you will have payments if not paid for, insurance, gas and maintenance. It will be yours to drive as much as you want at your convenience. With the rental you will have rental cost and gas. You'll have to find a rental company and either have it delivered or pick it up at their convenience. The other factor is how often would you rent? If not that often you might be better off renting. I would check your month to month use of a car then make your decision from there. Good luck with whatever route you decide to go.

Didn't mean to hijack the thread, just helping.
Thanks for the response, I thank we are going to try the rental way first, if we see its a hassle, then we will buy a jeep. A friend recommended enterprise because they come get you.....I see your r a marine, if so, thanks for your service, and giving us the freedom to travel and enjoy this great country.
Old 07-18-2013, 07:11 PM   #9

Entegra Owners Club
We rent from enterprise when we go a distance. It works.
Old 07-27-2013, 07:49 AM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by DebbieMH View Post
We rent from enterprise when we go a distance. It works.
Have you run into area's like state parks or out of the way areas where you wish you would have had a car, or jeep? We are going full time and we are going to try the enterprise way first, but it worries me that some areas like say, Grand Canyon we may be stuck at the campground.
Thanks
Tom
Old 07-27-2013, 11:02 AM   #11

Gulf Streamers Club
Grand Canyon has a pretty good tram system. Public Transportation - Grand Canyon National Park

Bob & Donna
'98 Gulf Stream Sun Voyager DP being pushed by a '00 Beetle TDI
BFlinn181 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2013, 11:21 AM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by BFlinn181 View Post
Grand Canyon has a pretty good tram system. Public Transportation - Grand Canyon National Park
Thanks
Old 07-28-2013, 06:45 AM   #13

Entegra Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom222 View Post

Have you run into area's like state parks or out of the way areas where you wish you would have had a car, or jeep? We are going full time and we are going to try the enterprise way first, but it worries me that some areas like say, Grand Canyon we may be stuck at the campground.
Thanks
Tom
If I were to go full time, a toad would be a must.
Old 07-28-2013, 09:11 AM   #14

We are taking our first long trip this week in our MH and we are renting a car when we get to our destination. I'd never want to go through the hassle of towing a car around and what it does to your gas mileage when you can rent a car for pretty cheap. I could see if you were going for months at a time but for a week or two here and there, rent the car.

Tags