Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class C Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 07-02-2012, 06:54 AM   #15

Winnebago Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by monik7 View Post
Hi Horizonchase:

Your rig looks great. I'm finding that there's something new everyday that I need to spend money on. Now you're saying I need a surge protector? Where does it need to be installed?

You're right, this site is so great to get help and information.
Hi monik7, Horizonchase,
I have the 30amp portable surge guard -hope the link works for you.
Portable Surge Guards With LCD Display- 30 Amp - Technology Research Corp 34730-003 - Surge Protectors - Camping World
We just plug our RV cord into it and the other end goes to the park power. Works great. I think progressive also makes one.
Todd

Demco KarKaddy 460SS
Maddawgs is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-02-2012, 07:35 AM   #16

Winnebago Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Maddawgs View Post
Hi monik7, Horizonchase,
Portable Surge Guards With LCD Display- 30 Amp - Technology Research Corp 34730-003 - Surge Protectors - Camping World
We just plug our RV cord into it and the other end goes to the park power. Works great. I think progressive also makes one.
Todd
Thanks Maddawgs. I clicked on the link and it looks like a good surge protector. Then when I saw that it just sits outside connected to the shore line and CG's electrical box I wondered about it getting stolen. Off to the left of that page was an advertisement to lock up the surge guard but after reading the reviews on that I wasn't convinced that the cheap plastic shroud covering the SP was the way to go. I am sure the SP works just fine however.

Old 07-02-2012, 09:14 AM   #17

Winnebago Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by Horizonchase View Post
Thanks Maddawgs. I clicked on the link and it looks like a good surge protector. Then when I saw that it just sits outside connected to the shore line and CG's electrical box I wondered about it getting stolen. Off to the left of that page was an advertisement to lock up the surge guard but after reading the reviews on that I wasn't convinced that the cheap plastic shroud covering the SP was the way to go. I am sure the SP works just fine however.
Yes you are correct. This was a major concern for us also and we did not like the cheap looking lock device either. What we did was to have our rv cord shortened to about 3 1/2 feet. We had the remainder made into an extra 30 amp cord. The 3 1/2 feet allows us to still hook in to our generator when needed and when we use the surge guard is sits in our electrical bay out of site. I'm not sure what the size of the electrical bays are on the Navions but this may be an option for you. If not then both Surge Guard and Progressive make a hard wire unit where you could have your electrician hard wire one in somewhere in your RV. Either way you go it is cheap insurance against having to replace your electronics due to bad power at a park.
http://www.campingworld.com/shopping...ge-guard/18540

Todd
Demco KarKaddy 460SS
Old 07-02-2012, 09:40 AM   #18

Winnebago Owners Club
Solo Rvers Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Maddawgs
Hi monik7, Horizonchase,
Todd
Hi Todd: Do you worry about someone stealing your surge protector? I've read here that could be a problem. Do you have a way to secure or hide it? Thanks.
Old 07-02-2012, 10:43 AM   #19

Winnebago Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Hi monik7,
Yes we did here is the response I gave to Horizonchaser.

Quote:
Yes you are correct. This was a major concern for us also and we did not like the cheap looking lock device either. What we did was to have our rv cord shortened to about 3 1/2 feet. We had the remainder made into an extra 30 amp cord. The 3 1/2 feet allows us to still hook in to our generator when needed and when we use the surge guard is sits in our electrical bay out of site. I'm not sure what the size of the electrical bays are on the Navions but this may be an option for you. If not then both Surge Guard and Progressive make a hard wire unit where you could have your electrician hard wire one in somewhere in your RV. Either way you go it is cheap insurance against having to replace your electronics due to bad power at a park.
30 amp Hard-Wired Surge Guard - Technology Research Corp 34520-001-012 - Surge Protectors - Camping World

Todd
Quote:
Hi Todd: Do you worry about someone stealing your surge protector? I've read here that could be a problem. Do you have a way to secure or hide it? Thanks.
Demco KarKaddy 460SS
Old 07-02-2012, 03:25 PM   #20

Winnebago Owners Club
Solo Rvers Club
Quote:
http://www.campingworld.com/shopping...ge-guard/18540

Todd
I hope this doesn't make me sound dumb, but do you connect the extra 30 amp cord to the protector and then to the CG electrical post?
Old 07-02-2012, 04:50 PM   #21

Winnebago Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
I hope this doesn't make me sound dumb, but do you connect the extra 30 amp cord to the protector and then to the CG electrical post?
Nope not a dumb question. Yes that is pretty much how you would do it. For mine I plug my house RV cord (the 3 1/2 foot piece from the RV) ( this would have a male end on it) into the female connector on the surge guard, then the extra 30 amp cord we had made (or any quality 30 amp cord) plugs into the male connector of the surge guard and the male connector of the 30amp cord plugs in to the park power pedestal. On my Cambria the surge guard and the 3 1/2 foot house RV cord will both "hide" in the electrical bay with just the extra 30 amp cord extending out of the electrical bay and going to the park power pedestal.
Don't be afraid to ask questions. Most people are pretty good about helping out. It is the question you don't ask that will get you into trouble.
Hope this helps you out.
Todd
Demco KarKaddy 460SS
Old 07-02-2012, 06:00 PM   #22

Winnebago Owners Club
Quote:
Nope not a dumb question. Yes that is pretty much how you would do it. For mine I plug my house RV cord (the 3 1/2 foot piece from the RV) ( this would have a male end on it) into the female connector on the surge guard, then the extra 30 amp cord we had made (or any quality 30 amp cord) plugs into the male connector of the surge guard and the male connector of the 30amp cord plugs in to the park power pedestal. On my Cambria the surge guard and the 3 1/2 foot house RV cord will both "hide" in the electrical bay with just the extra 30 amp cord extending out of the electrical bay and going to the park power pedestal.
Don't be afraid to ask questions. Most people are pretty good about helping out. It is the question you don't ask that will get you into trouble.
Hope this helps you out.
Todd
I'm with monik7 on this. I'm just trying to get it right, and would have asked the same question. So basically, it is spliced in between the shoreline cord? I like the fact that you have it hidden in the MH's box, out of sight, out of mind. That is the way that i want to go. Is that what you did? Forgive me, but I am new at this and a surge protector is high on my list ( if not at the top of my list) of what I need to get.
it would be great if you had a picture of your unit set up.
Old 07-02-2012, 11:02 PM   #23

Winnebago Owners Club
Solo Rvers Club
Quote:
Hope this helps you out.
Todd
Thanks so much Todd for taking the time to explain in detail. Sounds like a winner. Now I just have to find out where I can get the changes to the 30 amp cord done. Where did you have your changes made?
Old 07-03-2012, 06:56 AM   #24

I have used a plug in style surge suppressor for over 10 years and I never had one stolen. I guess anything can be taken. I like the idea of placing the surge unit in a compartment, but make sure the compartment has lots of open space. Part of the manufacturer's advertisement is a photograph of a surge unit after a lightning strike. You can see it is physically damaged with a hole burnt in it. I imagine if a damaged surge unit is up against combustible items, a fire would occur.
Kpjp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2012, 06:58 AM   #25

Winnebago Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Thanks so much Todd for taking the time to explain in detail. Sounds like a winner. Now I just have to find out where I can get the changes to the 30 amp cord done. Where did you have your changes made?
Hi monik7,
We are lucky in that we have a close friend that is both a certified electrician and an RV owner. We had him do this as well as install a 30 amp power pedestal at our house (he also does all of our household electrical upgrades). Your local dealer should be able to do this for you. If not you can check around where you live for an RV repair shop. If you hire an electrician be sure that they know RV electronics as they are not the same as residential electronics. It should not be to hard to find someone as this is a very common upgrade for smaller RV's. Good luck in your search.
Todd
Demco KarKaddy 460SS
Old 07-03-2012, 07:09 AM   #26

Winnebago Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
I'm with monik7 on this. I'm just trying to get it right, and would have asked the same question. So basically, it is spliced in between the shoreline cord? I like the fact that you have it hidden in the MH's box, out of sight, out of mind. That is the way that i want to go. Is that what you did? Forgive me, but I am new at this and a surge protector is high on my list ( if not at the top of my list) of what I need to get.
Hi Horizonchase,
Yes you are basically using the the surge guard as an adapter (or inline connector) to connect the two cords. If I can figure out how to post pics I will try to get some in tomorrow. A surge guard of some sort (there are many) is extremely important. Just do the math, surge guard 200 to 500 bucks, all your RV electronics several thousand dollars. Most people will never have a problem but it only takes one bad park power hook up or lightning strike (extreme surge) and you are out a lot of money. It was the very first thing we bought for the Cambria and we have never hooked up without it. For me it is cheap insurance.
Todd
Demco KarKaddy 460SS
Old 07-03-2012, 07:19 AM   #27

Winnebago Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kpjp View Post
I have used a plug in style surge suppressor for over 10 years and I never had one stolen. I guess anything can be taken. I like the idea of placing the surge unit in a compartment, but make sure the compartment has lots of open space. Part of the manufacturer's advertisement is a photograph of a surge unit after a lightning strike. You can see it is physically damaged with a hole burnt in it. I imagine if a damaged surge unit is up against combustible items, a fire would occur.
Yup I saw that. My hope is that if that ever happens that the surge guard would blow one of the MOV's and break any connection. What would probably happen is the lightning would hit somewhere else in the park, travel along the park power system, trip the breaker and stop there. Since most parks are older and have older electrical systems I think the the surge would blow right thru the park breaker and travel on to my surge guard which would sacrifice itself and save my RV electronics. In the event of a direct lightning strike I'll be happy if we get of the RV uninjured. IF not it is insured and we start over.
Todd
Demco KarKaddy 460SS
Old 07-04-2012, 05:55 AM   #28

Winnebago Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Ok, here are some pics I took of the set up I have (hope they work). Sorry for the quality I took them this morning in the rain. To give a feel for the size, my electrical bay has about a 6 inch by 6 inch opening and is bit more than 2 feet deep. With the surge guard and 3 1/2 foot cord it just about fill this bay. The grey cable you see is my cable TV hook up and if you look at the 3rd image up in the back of the bay is my external satellite connection for my Wineguard carry out 1518. The electrical box on the left is my generator hook up.
Todd
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	001.jpg
Views:	70
Size:	245.2 KB
ID:	23237   Click image for larger version

Name:	002.jpg
Views:	65
Size:	188.6 KB
ID:	23238  

Click image for larger version