Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class C Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 07-08-2012, 03:04 AM   #57

Winnebago Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by monik7 View Post
I got the Surge Guard 34730. There wasn't any price fluctuation. Just a mistake on Amazon's part that worked in my favor. As I said before, Camping World has it on their Internet sale for $279 plus $16 shipping I think. Amazon has a number of the same brand and model number. Some sold by Amazon and some by third parties. I picked one sold by Amazon because they're easier to deal with than third parties. This proved true when I called about the price discrepancy. A third party would have done nothing. Good luck.
I just order mine from Amazon. Thanks. Looking forward to receiving it and getting out there soon and using it!

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-08-2012, 05:56 AM   #58

Winnebago Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by monik7 View Post
Yes, he's been wonderful. Hope he doesn't regret responding to my first post. I've heard campers are the nicest people and Todd surely is a fine example.

I ended up getting my surge protector for $218.50 because Amazon goofed. The packing slip showed a lower price than I was originally charged by $38.52. I called to question it and the rep said they had to charge what was on the site when I ordered. I protested, but they wouldn't budge. Then they sent me a survey asking if they solved my problem and I said no and asked them to call me again. The next rep was very sympathetic and said he had never seen this problem before. But he said they would honor the price on the packing slip and gave me a credit to use in the future. Just shows the old adage about the "squeaky wheel" is probably true.

Have a great weekend!...Sandi
Hi Sandi,
Glad you were able to get such a good deal from Amazon (you beat my price by $25 ). I have bought a ton of stuff from them and I'm a prime member. I buy most of my RV stuff from Camping World. I'm a lifetime member so I get free shipping and several other discounts and coupons. While prices at Amazon are comparable I have found that Camping World (with the discounts) is cheaper about 90% of the time but it is always wise to price shop. ( I do every time I buy something for the RV). Have fun in Tahoe.
Todd

Demco KarKaddy 460SS
Maddawgs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2012, 06:03 AM   #59

Winnebago Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by Horizonchase View Post
I am beginning to find out that this is an expensive hobby! I'm finding ways to spend money every day!
I did respond to your friend request. Hopefully I did it right.
Enjoy Lake Tahoe!! Lucky You!!
Hi Jim,
You are not kidding. I think so far for just a little past our first year (picked the Cambria up 5-8-11) we are up around 7k in upgrades, add ons, various supplies, and toys. But we are now at a point where if we decide we need a vacation all we have to do is put in our clothing and food, hook up the dolly, put the car on it, and go. Now the only money we spend is to camp (I hope)
Todd
Demco KarKaddy 460SS
Old 07-08-2012, 06:39 PM   #60

Winnebago Owners Club
[QUOTE=Maddawgs;1235965]Hi Jim,
You are not kidding. I think so far for just a little past our first year (picked the Cambria up 5-8-11) we are up around 7k in upgrades, add ons, various supplies, and toys. Stop Todd! You're scaring me! But we are now at a point where if we decide we need a vacation all we have to do is put in our clothing and food, hook up the dolly, put the car on it, and go. Now the only money we spend is to camp (I hope) I hear ya. You tweaked it the way you wanted it and being somewhat satisfied you're ready to move on! ( I hope too!)
Just promise me that you won't tell me what those seven thousand dollars in upgrades were! I've already followed your lead ( and so has Sandy) with the surge protector, now I have to get out there and actually do some camping before i even think of an "upgrade"!!
Be well!
BTW, congrats on Oxford moving into the state final by beating Billrica.
Old 07-09-2012, 06:37 AM   #61

Winnebago Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
[QUOTE=Horizonchase;1236792]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Maddawgs View Post
Hi Jim,
You are not kidding. I think so far for just a little past our first year (picked the Cambria up 5-8-11) we are up around 7k in upgrades, add ons, various supplies, and toys. Stop Todd! You're scaring me! Oops sorry , Don't worry I only push the absolutes. Two of those upgrades (and the bulk of the 7k) were the Demco KarKaddy dolly and the 60 foot RV pad (those big DP's keep calling me) I had installed. These were more wants than needs. But we are now at a point where if we decide we need a vacation all we have to do is put in our clothing and food, hook up the dolly, put the car on it, and go. Now the only money we spend is to camp (I hope) I hear ya. You tweaked it the way you wanted it and being somewhat satisfied you're ready to move on! ( I hope too!) Yup this is the way we wanted it, just get up and go whenever we want. An added benefit to this readiness is that when we lost power last year after the hurricane we just moved into the Cambria.
Just promise me that you won't tell me what those seven thousand dollars in upgrades were! I've already followed your lead ( and so has Sandy) with the surge protector, now I have to get out there and actually do some camping before i even think of an "upgrade"!! Yup, get out and enjoy it as much as you can, it is really the only way you get your "value" out of a depreciating asset. You will find as you use it more just what you need and what you don't.
Be well!
BTW, congrats on Oxford moving into the state final by beating Billrica. Thanks.
Todd
Demco KarKaddy 460SS
Old 07-09-2012, 11:56 PM   #62

I have been off line for a while, so am late to respond to this site. I agree that the high end surge protector is the way to go, but if you are in California like I am, were thunder storms are not as common as back East there is an option. The difference between the high an low priced protector is basically surge protection. The lower priced option basically provides low voltage and faulty wiring protection. I have a continuity check device that plugs into the power pole prior to pluging in the shore power. It looks like the male end of the power cord with LEDs on the other end that light up to display propper polarity and grounding. Inside the coach I have a plug in voltage meter with a low voltage alarm. Low voltage is the issue I encountered the most. If the alarm goes off I turn the fridge to propane and shut down the AC, if it is running. I have never encountered bad wiring-it's no power or good. If there is a thunder storm in the area (rare) I just unplug and dry camp. That have been said, I do intend to buy a surge protector. Sandi-the one option the I would highly reccomend is the Safe-T-Plus steering.
Old 07-10-2012, 06:44 AM   #63

Winnebago Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by coachmanjay View Post
I have been off line for a while, so am late to respond to this site. I agree that the high end surge protector is the way to go, but if you are in California like I am, were thunder storms are not as common as back East there is an option. The difference between the high an low priced protector is basically surge protection. The lower priced option basically provides low voltage and faulty wiring protection. I have a continuity check device that plugs into the power pole prior to pluging in the shore power. It looks like the male end of the power cord with LEDs on the other end that light up to display propper polarity and grounding. Inside the coach I have a plug in voltage meter with a low voltage alarm. Low voltage is the issue I encountered the most. If the alarm goes off I turn the fridge to propane and shut down the AC, if it is running. I have never encountered bad wiring-it's no power or good. If there is a thunder storm in the area (rare) I just unplug and dry camp. That have been said, I do intend to buy a surge protector. Sandi-the one option the I would highly reccomend is the Safe-T-Plus steering.
Hi coachmanjay,
Yup we do get a good amount of lightning storms but our real issue on the east coast is older campgrounds with older electrical systems that often get over used causing both high and low power fluctuations. I find the surge guard to be be a better choice than the lower priced unit in that it offer very good protection against this as well as the added benefit of protection if a nearby strike hits the power grid. The surge guard (and the Progressive units) should sacrifice itself and save your RV electronics. While your method is good and with good monitoring will work most of the time, you actually have to be there to monitor and take any needed action. If you are outside your RV (sightseeing, visiting other campers, just sitting outside) and something happens you may not catch it in time. Also lightning can strike 20 miles from an actual storm you may never see. The surge guard offers more of a set it and forget it type option.
On a new or newer coach I would caution against any steering or suspension upgrades unless absolutely needed. Most issues can be fixed with proper weight balance, a good alignment, and correct tire pressure based on weight. One problem most people have is that they have never driven something so large and don't understand that it will not ride or handle like a car .You are driving a house on a large truck or van chassis with the aerodynamics of a brick wall. If you bought new and are concerned with the way it handles, then take it back to the dealer. On most units you will have a one year warranty. When you bring it back to the dealer under warranty the manufacturer gets valuable feedback from the dealer in the form of your concern. While there are a lot of coaches out there that do have serious problems and there is a huge industry built up to fix those problems, for the most of us the 3 things I mentioned should work.
Todd
Demco KarKaddy 460SS
Old 07-10-2012, 11:05 AM   #64

Carolina Campers
welcome to a very friendly place. Good luck and safe travels!
Old 07-10-2012, 09:27 PM   #65

Winnebago Owners Club
Solo Rvers Club
I just want to thank everyone who has responded to my original post. It's very comforting to know there are so many wonderful people who are willing to provide help to anyone who needs it. As a newbie, it gives me a lot more confidence to get out there and enjoy my new acquisition, knowing if I have a simple question or a major problem, there's a very good chance that someone (and more then likely more than one) will offer to help. So thank you to all. Happy RVing to everyone and safe travels.
Old 07-10-2012, 10:38 PM   #66

Thor Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by monik7
I just want to thank everyone who has responded to my original post. It's very comforting to know there are so many wonderful people who are willing to provide help to anyone who needs it. As a newbie, it gives me a lot more confidence to get out there and enjoy my new acquisition, knowing if I have a simple question or a major problem, there's a very good chance that someone (and more then likely more than one) will offer to help. So thank you to all. Happy RVing to everyone and safe travels.
Yes, I am wonderful. Lol.
Old 07-10-2012, 10:53 PM   #67

National RV Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
Solo Rvers Club
Send a message via Skype™ to Barbara S.

Welcome new members! If you are single there is a solo's forum too. I have been RVing for 35 years and the last 20 years as a single.

Happy travels!
Good Sam Charter Life member/FMCA/SI/Escapees/Thousand Trails
Barbara S. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2012, 10:56 PM   #68

Hi Maddawg:
I don't disagree with your comments about surge protectors and one will be my next purchase. To me it's a matter of risk and reward and of course luck. I know that I have been taken a chance, but with my GPS having access to NOAA alerrts, I reduced the risk.
In regards to Safe-T-Plus steering, it also a safety issue not a handling issue. My 23 ft Class C handles better than my Suburban towing an 8,500 boat, which I did for 25 years. My C came with MoreRyde and Firestone Ride-Rite air bags. The feature that Safe-T-Plus provides is stabilization. It dampens the effect of high cross winds, truck wind effects and most important a straight ahead response in the event of a front tire blow out. I have driven 3-4 hrs in winds and arrived with no stress, while my fellow travelers were completly worn out from fighting the steering wheel the whole time
One an another topic, I have never had a Toad, since with just a 23 ft rig I found very few access problems. I am now considering a Toad and would welcome your comments on a tow dolly
Jay
Old 07-11-2012, 07:03 AM   #69

Winnebago Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Hi Maddawg:
I don't disagree with your comments about surge protectors and one will be my next purchase. To me it's a matter of risk and reward and of course luck. I know that I have been taken a chance, but with my GPS having access to NOAA alerrts, I reduced the risk.
In regards to Safe-T-Plus steering, it also a safety issue not a handling issue. My 23 ft Class C handles better than my Suburban towing an 8,500 boat, which I did for 25 years. My C came with MoreRyde and Firestone Ride-Rite air bags. The feature that Safe-T-Plus provides is stabilization. It dampens the effect of high cross winds, truck wind effects and most important a straight ahead response in the event of a front tire blow out. I have driven 3-4 hrs in winds and arrived with no stress, while my fellow travelers were completly worn out from fighting the steering wheel the whole time
One an another topic, I have never had a Toad, since with just a 23 ft rig I found very few access problems. I am now considering a Toad and would welcome your comments on a tow dolly
Jay
HI Jay,
As you can probably tell from my choice of surge protection I buy the absolute best I can regardless of cost. This is what I did when I bought my dolly. I did a lot of research on this forum, the rv.net forum, internet searches, and about a thousand user reviews. I also factored in the fact that my toad is also my daily driver and how I get to work everyday. Every search I did and every review I read run against a pros and cons list The Demco KarKaddy 460 SS came out as both the best overall and unfortunately the most expensive. So that is what I bought. It listed anywhere from 2600 to 3200. Thru price shopping and a misquoted price I got mine for just over 2300 shipped. I had two huge problems in the purchase. The first was getting it shipped to my house, this is a very large (2 full pallets) and very heavy (over 700 pounds). The shipper did not want to ship to a residence and only wanted to unload to a shipping dock. I eventually won. This is how it came (image below). I think they just pushed off the truck. The second was I had to put it together. I did this all myself (with a bit of help from my wife). I would highly recommend 2 strong adults do it. It took me two days but I did get it all together and it works great. When complete it weighs 675 pounds. When combined with my toad I'm just under my 5k limit. It had both steerable wheels and surge brakes and when you get to you campsite it folds to half it's size.
Todd
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	P6120184.jpg
Views:	42
Size:	295.5 KB
ID:	23404  
Demco KarKaddy 460SS
Old 07-11-2012, 07:16 AM   #70

Winnebago Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Hi Maddawg:
Jay
Hi Jay
Wanted to show another image with it completed and in use.
Todd
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	P6160187.jpg
Views:	47
Size:	393.5 KB
ID:	23405   Click image for larger version

Name:	021.jpg
Views:	44
Size:	515.7 KB
ID:	23406  

Demco KarKaddy 460SS