Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class C Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 07-04-2012, 01:25 PM   #29

Winnebago Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Maddawgs View Post
Ok, here are some pics I took of the set up I have (hope they work). Sorry for the quality I took them this morning in the rain. To give a feel for the size, my electrical bay has about a 6 inch by 6 inch opening and is bit more than 2 feet deep. With the surge guard and 3 1/2 foot cord it just about fill this bay. The grey cable you see is my cable TV hook up and if you look at the 3rd image up in the back of the bay is my external satellite connection for my Wineguard carry out 1518. The electrical box on the left is my generator hook up.
Todd
Thank you so much Todd for posting those pictures. I will save them and when I show them to one of my electrician friends form work he will let me know if he could install it or not. Looks like the way to go!
jim
Horizonchase is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-04-2012, 02:06 PM   #30

Winnebago Owners Club
Solo Rvers Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Maddawgs

Ok, here are some pics I took of the set up I have (hope they work). Sorry for the quality I took them this morning in the rain. To give a feel for the size, my electrical bay has about a 6 inch by 6 inch opening and is bit more than 2 feet deep. With the surge guard and 3 1/2 foot cord it just about fill this bay. The grey cable you see is my cable TV hook up and if you look at the 3rd image up in the back of the bay is my external satellite connection for my Wineguard carry out 1518. The electrical box on the left is my generator hook up.
Todd
Thanks also from me for the pics. Since I have a larger electrical bay, I was thinking I could just get another 30 amp cord and put the surge protector between them. That would leave my original cord rolled up inside with the surge protector connected and the other cord also connected to the surge protector and running to the electrical post. My solution since I don't have any electrically inclined friends.
Old 07-04-2012, 02:09 PM   #31

Winnebago Owners Club
Solo Rvers Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Horizonchase
Thank you so much Todd for posting those pictures. I will save them and when I show them to one of my electrician friends form work he will let me know if he could install it or not. Looks like the way to go!
jim
Hi Horizonchase: I was wondering if you had bought a surge protector yet. For the TRC, I found a pretty good price on Amazon. Cheaper than Camping World which currently has it on Internet Sale 'til July 29.
Old 07-04-2012, 07:14 PM   #32

Winnebago Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by monik7 View Post
Hi Horizonchase: I was wondering if you had bought a surge protector yet. For the TRC, I found a pretty good price on Amazon. Cheaper than Camping World which currently has it on Internet Sale 'til July 29.
I haven't. I have an idea what I would like to get, thanks to all of the helpful suggestions from this forum. Heck, if i didn't read these threads I wouldn't have even known that I needed to get a surge protector. Now it is foremost on my list. Yesterday I went to my local RV store and they had a Progressive one there that went for $89.00 there abouts. It wasn't as elaborate as some of the ones that were recommended to me by others and I thought that I should just PU that one and be done with it. It certainly wasn't close to the $300. that some other surge protectors go for. Still, I want to do the right thing here and get a good one. This MH cost me ( and I suspect you too ) a small fortune and I want to do my best to ensure that I don't encounter any horrible mishap that I have certainly been reading about here.
What kind did you see on Amazon Monik? I'm curious.
Old 07-04-2012, 07:33 PM   #33

Winnebago Owners Club
Solo Rvers Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Horizonchase
I haven't. I have an idea what I would like to get, thanks to all of the helpful suggestions from this forum. Heck, if i didn't read these threads I wouldn't have even known that I needed to get a surge protector. Now it is foremost on my list. Yesterday I went to my local RV store and they had a Progressive one there that went for $89.00 there abouts. It wasn't as elaborate as some of the ones that were recommended to me by others and I thought that I should just PU that one and be done with it. It certainly wasn't close to the $300. that some other surge protectors go for. Still, I want to do the right thing here and get a good one. This MH cost me ( and I suspect you too ) a small fortune and I want to do my best to ensure that I don't encounter any horrible mishap that I have certainly been reading about here.
It was the TRC 34730 portable for $257.02. Not sure about shipping. I'm a Prime member so there would be no shipping charge. I wonder what other experienced RVers would say about that cheaper one you saw. Will be interesting to see if anyone comments. Did you look for reviews on it? I've found that it really helps in making a decision to buy if you can read what others who have bought the item think about it. Isn't this site great for us newbies? But there's soooooo much to learn.
Old 07-05-2012, 05:06 AM   #34

Winnebago Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by Horizonchase View Post
Hi Jim,
Progressive does make a great unit but that $89 unit will not offer the same level of protection (compare the specs) as the higher priced model they sell (you get what you pay for). I thought of buying the same unit but after doing the research I found that this is not an area where you want to go cheap. If you get a model number and do an internet search you should be able to find a good price. I got mine for under 250 with free shipping. I did not get it from Camping World (although I do buy most of my RV stuff there) but I can't remember where I got it (sorry).
Todd
Demco KarKaddy 460SS
Maddawgs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2012, 05:10 AM   #35

Winnebago Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
jim
Hi Jim,
No problem. It was not raining this morning so I was able to get a pic of the complete set up outside of the bay. You can see the 3 1/2 foot from the RV and how it connects to the surge guard and then how that connects to the 30 amp cord. The service dept at Flagg should be able to do this for you. They have seen mine and thought it was a great idea.
Todd
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	001.jpg
Views:	75
Size:	333.4 KB
ID:	23252  
Demco KarKaddy 460SS
Old 07-05-2012, 05:24 AM   #36

Winnebago Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Thanks also from me for the pics. Since I have a larger electrical bay, I was thinking I could just get another 30 amp cord and put the surge protector between them. That would leave my original cord rolled up inside with the surge protector connected and the other cord also connected to the surge protector and running to the electrical post. My solution since I don't have any electrically inclined friends.
Hi monik7,
I would have thought the bay would be the same or smaller but if you have the room that does make it easier. If you find that it does not fit they do sell the male and female ends as kits that you can do yourself. My electrician told me that it was easy enough that I could have done it myself but he was there doing the 30amp pedestal so I had him do it anyway.
Todd
Demco KarKaddy 460SS
Old 07-05-2012, 11:04 AM   #37

Winnebago Owners Club
Solo Rvers Club
Quote:
Hi monik7,
I would have thought the bay would be the same or smaller but if you have the room that does make it easier. If you find that it does not fit they do sell the male and female ends as kits that you can do yourself. My electrician told me that it was easy enough that I could have done it myself but he was there doing the 30amp pedestal so I had him do it anyway.
Todd
I have to keep my rig in storage so at the moment I can only guess at the size of the electrical bay. It's probably at least 2' wide x 10" high x 12" deep. All I know is that my current cord fits in their easily rolled in a circle with lots of space left. I think it will be easy to put a 25', 30 amp cord and the surge protector in there too. We'll see. I guess I will try this because I just don't know anyone who could do the changes you did and always fear being taken if I have to search for an electrician or go back to the dealer. I know you said I could probably do it myself and that's probably true, but I really shy away from things electrical. I've put in dimmer switches at home, but I draw the line there. In any case, if it doesn't work (and I really think it will), I'll at least have extra cord if I ever run into an occasion where my current cord is too short to reach the electrical post. I did read someone's comment where that did happen (perhaps it was in the reviews section for the cord).

Anyway, I just want to thank you for the help you've provided to Horizonchase and me. If you hadn't chimed in, I never would have come up with the idea to get another cord. So thank you.

Sandi
Old 07-05-2012, 01:24 PM   #38

Winnebago Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
I have to keep my rig in storage so at the moment I can only guess at the size of the electrical bay. It's probably at least 2' wide x 10" high x 12" deep. All I know is that my current cord fits in their easily rolled in a circle with lots of space left. I think it will be easy to put a 25', 30 amp cord and the surge protector in there too. We'll see. I guess I will try this because I just don't know anyone who could do the changes you did and always fear being taken if I have to search for an electrician or go back to the dealer. I know you said I could probably do it myself and that's probably true, but I really shy away from things electrical. I've put in dimmer switches at home, but I draw the line there. In any case, if it doesn't work (and I really think it will), I'll at least have extra cord if I ever run into an occasion where my current cord is too short to reach the electrical post. I did read someone's comment where that did happen (perhaps it was in the reviews section for the cord).

Anyway, I just want to thank you for the help you've provided to Horizonchase and me. If you hadn't chimed in, I never would have come up with the idea to get another cord. So thank you.

Sandi
Hi Sandi,
Your welcome and I don't mind offering what help I can. You found the real reason that I use an electrician. I am always afraid I'm going to jolt myself or wire something wrong and burn the house (or RV) down. I found the extra cord I had made to be too short (it is about 26 feet) so I carry that and a 50 footer as well as a 30amp to 50 amp adapter and a 30amp to 15 amp adapter (haven't needed either one yet) just in case.
Todd
Demco KarKaddy 460SS
Old 07-05-2012, 02:03 PM   #39

Winnebago Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Maddawgs View Post
Hi Sandi,
Your welcome and I don't mind offering what help I can. You found the real reason that I use an electrician. I am always afraid I'm going to jolt myself or wire something wrong and burn the house (or RV) down. I found the extra cord I had made to be too short (it is about 26 feet) so I carry that and a 50 footer as well as a 30amp to 50 amp adapter and a 30amp to 15 amp adapter (haven't needed either one yet) just in case.
Todd
Todd you have provided some really valuable information for us. What was second nature to you was something that I/we weren't even aware of. I have copied all of your replies to this matter and moved them to my Winnebago Folder. I will definitely go the route that you have provided for us. Many Thanks.
BTW, did you happen to go t o the Flaggs in North Smithfield, R.I.?
Old 07-05-2012, 03:37 PM   #40

Winnebago Owners Club
Solo Rvers Club
Quote:
Hi Sandi,
Todd
That's funny. I had to use my 30-50 adaptor on my second trip out. Good thing I remembered they gave it to me when I picked up the rig. When I saw the 50 amp plug I ALMOST panicked until I remembered the adaptor. Scary for a newbie who would have been lost.
Old 07-05-2012, 03:45 PM   #41

Winnebago Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Todd you have provided some really valuable information for us. What was second nature to you was something that I/we weren't even aware of. I have copied all of your replies to this matter and moved them to my Winnebago Folder. I will definitely go the route that you have provided for us. Many Thanks.
BTW, did you happen to go t o the Flaggs in North Smithfield, R.I.?
I'm glad I could offer some help. When I was researching before eventually buying the Cambria the people on this forum and the rv.net forum were great. Many offered helpful suggestions and guidance.
Yes, I bought the Cambria at Flagg Rv in North Smithfield. We are in Oxford so it is only a 25 minute drive for us. Jimmy Flagg was my salesman. He even came back from his Florida vacation to do the sale. In the year or so before we bought we must have visited over 30 times. We looked at everything they had. Dave Hunt even gave me driving lessons on a real nice used 40 foot Itasca Meridian DP. One of the things I like to do when I'm having service done is to go thru all the RV's. I think I may have gone thru the one you bought when I was there back in April. They are great to work with, gave me a great deal on the Cambria, and after sale service has been great. Whenever I call they just say when do you want to bring it in. Again, glad I could help,
Todd
Demco KarKaddy 460SS
Old 07-05-2012, 03:52 PM   #42

Winnebago Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
That's funny. I had to use my 30-50 adaptor on my second trip out. Good thing I remembered they gave it to me when I picked up the rig. When I saw the 50 amp plug I ALMOST panicked until I remembered the adaptor. Scary for a newbie who would have been lost.
You never know what you will need. On our last trip out, when we were setting up at the Gettysburg KOA (a beautiful campground by the way). Un coiled the fresh water hose and it wound up being 3 feet short . Luckily the campstore had one so we were all set (now we carry two).
Todd
Demco KarKaddy 460SS