Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class C Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 02-07-2012, 03:13 PM   #15

Try this link...

https://www.rvchecks.com/?aid=4d7f843001fd5
John H... is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-07-2012, 03:26 PM   #16

Newmar Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
We bought our first Class A when it had 92K miles. Traded it in when it had 116K and still ran like a top. It was a Ford chassis with the 460 V8. Best to have all the maintenance records you can get. Fortunately for us it was from the original owner who also was a mechanic and performed all the work himself. Maintenance is the key. For that matter your could find a unit with 50K but if it hasn't been taken care of it's roll the dice time.
Steve N Sal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2012, 04:08 PM   #17

Forest River Owners Club
Kyleen, the NADA Average Retail for the 2000 Jamboree 24D is $11,551 including a deduction of $869 for high mileage. You would add the value of the options on the unit to that price to get the full average retail. In this market, you should be able to find a unit in good condition for at or near the average retail price or below - depending on where you find it for sale. My caveat for you would be that it is much more difficult to sell an RV with high mileage than it is one with lower or even "average" mileage. If you are not sure how long you might own your RV before either selling or trading it in, mileage should be a major consideration. Dealers don't give as much consideration to overall condition when they take a trade as they do to mileage when determining the value of a trade in. And, as a private party looking for an RV, I personally use the "not over 50,000 mile" rule as a guideline when shopping as do many others. So, if you are at all concerned about resaleability and resale value, do be concerned about the mileage in addition to the condition.
rdownward is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2012, 05:08 PM   #18

Thank you so much everyone for your advice, your experiences and the various links. Not only will this help me as I search for an RV but after I buy it. The 2000 Fleetwood sold sometime over the last day or so…so that was not the one for me. So I keep looking and will use all of the information that was shared to help. I don’t feel so overwhelmed…well at least not like I did. It is still scary making such a big purchase, but I cannot wait. My son asks me every day when we will buy one and he is 3 years old.
Kyleenc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2012, 05:30 PM   #19

Triple E Owners Club
Question, will you be towing a car behind your RV? That is something else you should be considering. Just a thought.
OneRVer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2012, 10:44 AM   #20

Eventually I will be pulling a 2 horse trailer. I have friends that go horse camping and some that don't. So I want the option to pull my own at some point. Right now I have people that can pull it, but as my son gets older and if he stays into the horse thing I would like to be able to pull our own horses. That is why I am looking a t V10. I have looked at a lot of motorhomes and at first thought I wanted a 26 -27 footer. But after driving the 24D and the fact it is just me and my son, the 24D makes sense. I love the layout, the "L" shape kitchen is great for us. The storage for the size is amazing.
Kyleenc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2012, 11:06 AM   #21

My 1995 'C' (Ford 460 V8) rolled over 105k crossing the border back into Canada coming home from Florida on Monday of this week. It still runs just fine.

I would caution about pulling something like horses with a 'C' though, unless you have a real short unit the tail overhang and a fair amount of tongue weight will give a pretty rough ride for everybody, horses included.
Old 02-08-2012, 11:39 AM   #22

Thor Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
class c

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kyleenc View Post
Eventually I will be pulling a 2 horse trailer. I have friends that go horse camping and some that don't. So I want the option to pull my own at some point. Right now I have people that can pull it, but as my son gets older and if he stays into the horse thing I would like to be able to pull our own horses. That is why I am looking a t V10. I have looked at a lot of motorhomes and at first thought I wanted a 26 -27 footer. But after driving the 24D and the fact it is just me and my son, the 24D makes sense. I love the layout, the "L" shape kitchen is great for us. The storage for the size is amazing.
We have decided to sell our class c , look at the link and see if you like it or not 44000 miles very well maintained let me know if you would like more info https://picasaweb.google.com/riverva...eat=directlink
Old 02-10-2012, 11:49 AM   #23

My 02

Older RV's should be inspected by an auto/truck mechanic - RV techs are not substitutes for the real deal.

Older RV's should be pressure tested to insure they don't have leak issues - cost about $100 and worth every penny.

If you don't know anything about RVing then have an RV tech inspect the RV stuff - AC, fridge etc -- worth the expense.

Towing something heavy such as a horse trailer adds a new dimension - focus on weight capacities of the rig, towing packages etc - you may find that you have to invest in reinforcing frame etc.
ksg5000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2012, 11:55 PM   #24

Hoosier 5ver, Whatever kind of rv your looking at, I think I'd stick to one that has a all metal house frame. Some like gulfstream use vacuum bonded walls and roofing, which may not be as warm in the winter but in the long run theres nothing in the walls to rot. If it doesn't say all metal frame somewhere than chances are they used wood somewhere. Look out for the front cabover box, it should have a wrap around fiberglass cap. This is where a lot of older class c's leak. Even some name brand MH's use wood framing in the cab over box as its not a passenger compartment. If it has aluminum siding on the outside than it almost has to have wood in the walls. The travel trailer industry call this stick and tin construction. Gibbs
Gibbs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2012, 04:56 AM   #25

Do yourself a favor, have a ASE mechanic check this MH for you. You said it was a Ford V-10, very strong engine. I have one in my truck and towed a 34' fifth wheel before moving up to a class (a) pusher. This particular year was a two valve head engine, some minor problems with spark plugs and exhaust manifolds. With 84000 miles this may of showed up already and been repaired. You should try and acquire maintenance records, but have a ASE techincian look at the MH. Good luck and be safe.
Old 02-23-2012, 08:20 PM   #26

Just curious, but I've been looking for an older (early 90's) class C for my family. what makes a good one or a bad one? I've seen rigs with 50000 miles that advertise they have a new motor or tranny, then there are others that have gone a hundred thousand with no issues. it can't be all maintenance or lack of, it must be driving, towing, or what kind of driving conditions. has anybody here had to ever do major mechanical work on their RVs? if so, what was the mileage on the rig
kennyb79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2012, 06:33 AM   #27

We put a motor in ours at 134000 it leaked from every gasket and seal but ran great just tired of the mess
85antique is offline   Reply With Quote