Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class C Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 03-03-2017, 07:36 AM   #29

Coming from the TT world, and with no thoughts of full timing, the C class we ordered should be great for us with the 1600 lb OCCC. Mostly just the two of us, no plans on boon docking more than a day (water weight) , and plan on pulling our Jeep JKR.

Our deciding factor is we have under roof parking for a C, and most parks we visited over the years seem better fitted for mid to smaller rigs. We wanted the biggest, smallest, RV we could enjoy.....LOL.
Steeljag is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-03-2017, 10:30 PM   #30

Winnebago Owners Club
Don't mean to hijack this thread, but this seems like a good place to ask my question.

Background: My wife and I travel light. Had the rig weighed at the start of a trip and found we were approx 1000 lb under GVWR and the GAWR's were fine too (unfortunately no 4-corner weights.) A light-weight toad puts me about 4000 lb under GCWR.

My thoughts: After a recent panic stop from 60 MPH on I-70 I have concluded that my E-450 "goes" a LOT better'n it "stops". Handling is OK with Helwigs front and rear, Safe Steer, and tire pressure adjusted in accordance with Bridgestone's load tables; but the braking is really marginal IMHO. That panic stop had my heart in my throat and thankful that the toad was doing its share....as I have the controller set on "Max". I have no reason to suspect anything is mechanically wrong with the brakes (they seem totally adequate on 6% or 7% grades) ........... they are just marginally designed for the rated GVWR/GCWR methinks.

Am I wrong about the brakes? This is the only motorhome I have ever owned (or even driven) although I briefly drove an over the road semi many years ago (with air brakes, of course.) Your opinions appreciated.
youracman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2017, 02:45 PM   #31

The question is if its the brakes or the distance you are allowing yourself to brake in case of an emergency. I tell my sons that you should always drive expecting to see someone doing something stupid, and plan accordingly. These things need a lot of space to stop, are you keeping this in mind? As I drive with my set up for more than half of the year, many times I see people with TTs, FWs, and motorhomes doing things they should not do, and wonder why there are not more accidents with us involved. Just wondering.
JONWisconsin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2017, 02:58 PM   #32

Just a thought:

@ l1v3fr33ord1...."JONWisconsin's" point is that as there are 'many' people living full-time in E-450-chassis Class C's, then that means its practical- perhaps even comfortable- to do so despite the CCC and OCCC values for their coaches. I've met some of the 'many' myself, and their blogs are out there to read.”

And

JONWisconsin “In many F450 as long as you don't go over the 14,500 GVWR and the 22,000 GCWR, keep the axles scale under their weight limit you should be ok.”

As to the first comment, people also full time in vans, that doesn't remotely mean it is practical, comfortable and has sufficient OCCC for full timing. Although full timing in an RV means downsizing, most people don't think of it as barely surviving.

As to the second comment, it merely begs the question and doesn't answer it at all. The OP wanted to know about the extremely hard to find until AFTER you order and have the rig delivered OCCC, not what the maximum specs are for the vehicle which is common knowledge and can be found in any brochure. OCCC is a completely different story and it certainly relates to driving safety. As one commenter stated, what do you do when your class C has hardly any OCCC leave it in the driveway or overload it, knowingly or unknowingly and drive away?

While the RV industry may be "booming" on the less expensive TT and even perhaps 5th wheels, lets see what their numbers are going to be for the class C and A in 2017. Hopefully, they will start building more Class C with the F-550 GAS chassis to address the OCCC issue or not.

Daniel
Rvlegaleagle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2017, 06:01 PM   #33

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rvlegaleagle View Post
Just a thought:

@ l1v3fr33ord1...."JONWisconsin's" point is that as there are 'many' people living full-time in E-450-chassis Class C's, then that means its practical- perhaps even comfortable- to do so despite the CCC and OCCC values for their coaches. I've met some of the 'many' myself, and their blogs are out there to read.”

And

JONWisconsin “In many F450 as long as you don't go over the 14,500 GVWR and the 22,000 GCWR, keep the axles scale under their weight limit you should be ok.”

As to the first comment, people also full time in vans, that doesn't remotely mean it is practical, comfortable and has sufficient OCCC for full timing. Although full timing in an RV means downsizing, most people don't think of it as barely surviving.

As to the second comment, it merely begs the question and doesn't answer it at all. The OP wanted to know about the extremely hard to find until AFTER you order and have the rig delivered OCCC, not what the maximum specs are for the vehicle which is common knowledge and can be found in any brochure. OCCC is a completely different story and it certainly relates to driving safety. As one commenter stated, what do you do when your class C has hardly any OCCC leave it in the driveway or overload it, knowingly or unknowingly and drive away?

While the RV industry may be "booming" on the less expensive TT and even perhaps 5th wheels, lets see what their numbers are going to be for the class C and A in 2017. Hopefully, they will start building more Class C with the F-550 GAS chassis to address the OCCC issue or not.
You seem to be unaware that there are some Class Cs that have more OCCC and more towing capacity than some Class As .
Old 03-04-2017, 11:03 PM   #34

Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mich F View Post
You seem to be unaware that there are some Class Cs that have more OCCC and more towing capacity than some Class As .
Key words being "some". And whether or not a coach is "comfortable" is irrelevant if it puts it's occupants and others on the road at risk because of overloading. Again, that applies to both A's and C's, but is typically more likely to occur with C's.
4x4van is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2017, 08:24 AM   #35

"@Mich F"....really? Name three (3) class C motorhomes over 30 feet that have 2000lbs OCCC built on the ford 450 chassis.....waiting

Daniel
Old 03-05-2017, 08:57 AM   #36

Quote:
"@Mich F"....really? Name three (3) class C motorhomes over 30 feet that have 2000lbs OCCC built on the ford 450 chassis.....waiting

My 32 1/2' Class C has 3,275# OCCC, as I've written a number of times. Why should I look for more ?
Old 03-05-2017, 07:39 PM   #37

Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mich F View Post
My 32 1/2' Class C has 3,275# OCCC, as I've written a number of times. Why should I look for more ?
And yours is the exception, not the rule. Nobody has claimed that C's with large or sufficient OCCC's don't exist, only that there are plenty out there that don't.
Old 03-06-2017, 09:11 AM   #38

Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Also, keep in mind that your OCCC, unlike the older CCC, DOESN'T include any water. Your 441# of water (if you fill your tank) drops your usable capacity to 2834# available for cargo and passengers (which is still very good for a large C). It does, however, include a full tank of fuel (CCC only included 5 gallons).
Old 03-20-2017, 03:12 PM   #39

Haven't been on here in awhile and have to respond. Clearly, you haven't named a one besides your own without any of the options most people want. The pure and simple truth of the matter is that a class C over 32ft with slides, dual pane windows, 2 batteries, 15000 ducted A/C with heat pumps, a decent size furnace, freshwater over 40 gals and other tanks over 30 gals and a RV ref and stove built on a E-450 leaves hardly any room for anything else. Add a small toad under 3200 lbs plus between 350-500 tongue weight and your done.

The real question, and perhaps someone could explain it to me, is why doesn't the manufactures, except perhaps Born Free, not make these 30+ class Cs available with the GAS engine? In fact the 2017 F-550 chassis comes stock with the GAS v-10, the diesel is an upgrade. It is the "same chassis" so what is the problem. Would love to know It would certainly help with the OCCC which is becoming a huge issue after you do some research.

Daniel
Old 03-28-2017, 06:28 PM   #40

Quote:
Haven't been on here in awhile and have to respond. Clearly, you haven't named a one besides your own without any of the options most people want. The pure and simple truth of the matter is that a class C over 32ft with slides, dual pane windows, 2 batteries, 15000 ducted A/C with heat pumps, a decent size furnace, freshwater over 40 gals and other tanks over 30 gals and a RV ref and stove built on a E-450 leaves hardly any room for anything else. Add a small toad under 3200 lbs plus between 350-500 tongue weight and your done.

The real question, and perhaps someone could explain it to me, is why doesn't the manufactures, except perhaps Born Free, not make these 30+ class Cs available with the GAS engine? In fact the 2017 F-550 chassis comes stock with the GAS v-10, the diesel is an upgrade. It is the "same chassis" so what is the problem. Would love to know It would certainly help with the OCCC which is becoming a huge issue after you do some research.
I agree that Class C generally have less OCCC than a class A. To be clear, your toad example would not be a 4 down situation. I presume that is with dolly?
Old 04-04-2017, 10:58 AM   #41

No, that would be with a four down tow. Perhaps I am wrong but it is my understanding that "tongue weight" gets added to the rear axle weight and becomes part of the OCCC. So that the weight of the towing apparatus (not the toad) you use, which is inserted into the towing hitch, is called tongue weight. I belive that adds about 300 lbs or so of weight that you need to subtract from the OCCC if you are towing? This further reduces the overall OCCC as does many of the options you select in a Class C E-450 chassis. Am I wrong here?

Daniel
Old 04-04-2017, 11:57 AM   #42

eagle-

My towbar weighs less than 60 pounds- and good thing, too, as I'm a scrawny guy and getting it onto the coach is difficult enough!

Underway, the toad carries half that weight, so realistically no effect on OCCC.
l1v3fr33ord1 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
weight