Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class C Motorhome Discussions
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2
Old 09-07-2010, 06:48 AM   #1
Talking Hitch cargo rack/bikes? Help Thanks

So i added a 1,000. lbs hitch rack to the back of my class c, and now want to add a bike rack. I want to keep both the flat rack and then my idea was to have the bike rack welded to the cargo rack. Anyone out there deal with this? Any pics or ideas would bee great.

2. I also would like to add a sear roof top cargo box to the top of my class c, looking for ideas on how to bolt this down? Would the side rails on the roof be strong enough to hold this down? if i straped the cargo box over the top of the box from rail to rail?

Thanks for your time!! Andy

transcend is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-10-2010, 08:39 PM   #2
Newmar Owners Club
Nor'easters Club
Appalachian Campers
Ford Super Duty Owner
Coastal Campers
We use a hitch rack with an adapter for bikes, it holds the front wheel of 3 bikes. Unfortunately I don't have a picture and the closest thing I can find is this, which is the whole rack.

IMHO the roof rack on class C coaches is next to useless. With our old coach, we brushed a 1" tree limb and it tore the thing half off. I'd use wellnuts and bolt the box through the roof in at least 6 places. I mounted our solar panels this way (10 #10 wellnuts per 36x60 panel), they are solid and have had no problems with the occasional branch over the past two years.

Stewart, Brenda and kids
2008 Newmar Canyon Star 3410
Luv2go is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2010, 07:12 AM   #3
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Sam's is selling a 2 bike carrier for $39 that is light weight and would be easy to add to your cargo carrier.
speed racer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2010, 07:53 AM   #4
Moderator Emeritus

If I understand what you're trying to do, this Blue Ox Bike Rack might work for you.

Rick, Nancy, Peanut & Lola our Westie Dogs & Bailey the Sheltie.

2007 Itasca Ellipse 40FD
RickO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2010, 11:44 AM   #5
Thanks for your reply, i have decided to have the bike rack weded to the cargo rack so that i can get thee best of both....

I will post pics when done.
transcend is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2010, 05:17 AM   #6

Originally Posted by transcend View Post
Thanks for your reply, i have decided to have the bike rack weded to the cargo rack so that i can get thee best of both....

I will post pics when done.
How did this work out? I may look for something like this in the future.
On 10/15/10,
Puchased a 1989 Class B Dodge Xplorer In Cash
On 5/2/15, Girlfriend purchased 2002 Dynamax Carri-go in cash.
goreds2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2010, 08:29 AM   #7
Food for thought...

With reference to adding additional carriers, accessories or devices to the rear of class C motorhomes, I recommend reading this thread:

Scooter Carrier - Ray Whitney

The rear axle on many class C's is already loaded close to capacity from factory with about 10' of body, generator, batteries & fresh water tank behind it. I would caution anyone adding more weight without careful consideration as to how this will change the handling, balance, stability etc.. I've seen many trailers & motorhomes with added storage boxes and extended attachments on the highway fishtailing and going very slowly due to overloading behind the axle. Towing a small trailer for heavier loads is a smarter alternative as this puts the weight on the trailer axle instead of the motorhomes rear axle.

CARSMills is offline   Reply With Quote